Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just a point of reference. People say football and basketball pay for all other sports. The NCAA reported In 2015 only 24 FBS football programs were in the black. Almost all other football programs and basketball programs LOSE money. All universities subsidize their athletics. They invest in athletics” to provide educational value to student athletes and enhance overall campus life”. The NCAA reported that only 50% of the 128 top basketball programs are in the black. When coaches salaries, training complexes, and arenas are factored in only a handful of basketball programs generate a true surplus. It will be the college/university that determines whether to subsidize athletics not the football or basketball programs.

This is a great point and goes far beyond just lacrosse. So many of these D1 football universities have lost their season already. They will need to continue to pay monies for the things you mentioned above, i.e. - scholarships, staff, stadiums...etc. Now they are really in the RED. So many of these universities will need to make budget cuts and trim the so called fat. Take a school like USC, your football season was cancelled. USC has (25) D1 sports programs (11 Men & 14 Women). If this COVID trend continues I could see them cancelling half the programs. Take womens lacrosse, it has to be very expensive to field a team with no income coming in. I hope it does not happen, but we may see a lot of changes especially if this drags into the spring. NYIT, a small D2 program on Long Island just cancelled all sports for at least (2) years. Sadly they will not be the last to do this....