I’m gonna get some heat but I can take it! You go to university to get educated and you play a sport, at whatever level. But you go to get educated. The NCAA allowing another year has nothing to do with education; it’s to appease the player and parent and big money sports. It makes a mess of university sports budgets.

Did seniors graduate and now pursuing a Masters Degree in their fifth year? A second major?

To be honest a vast majority of seniors did not take the fifth year. They graduated, got a job (hopefully) and moved on with their lives. It stinks that their athletic careers were cut short and they missed a formal graduation.

For the record I advised not offering the extra year to everyone. But that was big money sports driving that, not women’s lacrosse. Some student athletes were or are now in programs that can win a national championship. It’s their prerogative to stay and try and win a championship while taking classes in whatever. For very few the sport is bigger than the degree.