Originally Posted by Anonymous
I used to have a horse in the race, but now have a senior going to college without lax.

I will say, many players and workers across the world lost the year and jobs. The only group I hear getting it back our the NCAA players. I don’t think any employers or HS are “repeating” the year, and going to make you “ whole”. I don’t think I could tell my company I lost commissions because my account cancelled all the orders, you owe me money even though nothing shipped.

Give a year to the seniors, and 3 scholarships for a year to divide, and be done with it. This might be affecting 4-6 players a team, not 35. Manageable. Much can happen between a freshmen and senior year so let the others move up in normal process.

I do believe they are student athletes first, and the school did give them a full year of school credits, correct?

Yes people around the globe have lost immeasurably.... jobs, school years, proms, money etc.... and yes LIVES! The rest of the world is not getting anything back. I think the extra year of eligibility was a quick reaction by NCAA to ease the pain of the canceled season. They honestly should retract that offer. These kids should be graduating and moving on with their lives, just like the rest of the real world is forced to do. Too many kids and certainly way too many parents put way too much weight on playing this sport. The win for kids and parents should have been that lacrosse got your kid into a better school than they would have otherwise, or lacrosse landed them a great scholarship for their education. You see way too many players graduating that had their priorities way out of whack. Where the sport was more important to them and unfortunately was more important to their parents than the real life education and opportunity. If done right, your kid should be graduating with an awesome degree and a career all lined up or plans for grad school. If your kid has put all his/her eggs in the lacrosse basket and has nothing planned for the real world after graduation, I guess go play, otherwise these kids are just giving away a year of their lives.

Totally agree!

Self centered and idiotic. Your argument is essentially a lot of people are suffering so these athletes should suffer also . I would assume you are against any form of a governmental Coronavirus stimulus package also. Your arrogance about thinking you know what other parents and their kids priorities are or should be is pathetic. If you have the means to mitigate peoples distress, which the NCAA does in this case, then why not . Your priorities for your kid might be right for you , get a good degree as fast as you can and get out into the world to make as much money as you can as fast as you can. Honestly I want my kid to earn a great degree but I also want them to make great friendships, have great experiences , make great memories etc. , even if it takes 5 years or more. “Giving away a year of their lives “ , what’s the rush?

There are no perfect answers, but why should the college athletes each get another year when the impact is that hundreds of high school kids won't even get the chance to play in college if current college kids get that extra year? I'd argue that the opportunity to get 3.25 years of spring play in (because they had fall ball too, which i acknowledge is not exactly the same) is a lot better than not getting any college lacrosse experience, which is what will absolutely occur, on a one for one basis for every college sophomore that elects to return to college for a fifth year. The high school kids are losing an entire year of lacrosse too!

I dont think the NCAA has an obligation to be concerned with current High School Students.. their concern is making sure that student athletes currently enrolled on college are eligible. ( following recruiting rules is their way of policing coaches.. not high school students.)

That said, its my opinion that the NCAA made that extra year eligibility announcement quickly to try and soften the absolute shock felt by all when the entire season ended in a 24 hour period...I think everyone has had time to get their feet back under them.. the shock has mostly subsided and a strange new life of virtual schooling has taken over.. they will give the eligibility but they wont give away the store.. I don't believe they will change scholarships caps..they will limit transfers. my point is it wont be a magic wand .. but it can be done.. the S/A will just have to work for it.