Originally Posted by Anonymous

My son missed his senior year of HS due to injury, played 6 College games, season cancelled. He was already offered a redshirt year.

This is exactly why the NCAA needs to keep it simple and offer another year of eligibility to everyone whose season was cut short. Everyone's situation is different and they can't get into all these scenarios of who deserves another year and who doesn't. Most people will be understanding that someone who missed senior year of HS, then had freshman season canceled, is deserving of the option to play another year. I have a 2020 who will be impacted by players staying another year - scholarship money (NLI only covers one year), more competition for playing time, etc. - but if my daughter was already playing in college I'd want her to have the option of an extra year.

One thing I'm curious about - do players have a time limit to redshirt this year? Or could a current freshman decide in a year or two to take the extra year of eligibility? Someone who takes the extra year could always decide down the road to graduate early and not play the 5th year, but it seems like college coaches will be better able to plan ahead in distributing scholarship money and recruiting if they know by this fall who plans to take an extra year and who doesn't.

Thank you for being the voice of reason. Most of the "senior only" mentality is also the "me only mentality".

You got it flipped..what has your underclass player missed out on 9-10 games? hopefully they are back at in august. (doubtful) Should everyone get a second redshirt when they need to cancel the 2021 season too?
As you see starting to develop most seniors arent going to be coming back..keep this to only this group and the effects end after next year, with no trickle down- If we assume normalcy resumes next year ( which as far as im reading may be a long-shot)

When you mention "normalcy resumes next year" do you mean that this past season was abnormal and might be in need of abnormal approaches? Nobody has this flipped. Yes our daughter missed 9-10 games and was devastated when her season ended, however not nearly as heartbroken as her senior teammates. College has a cap on 4 years of eligibility and all players playing this past season will have been deprived of that, simply put. The original message sent by the NCAA mentioned an increase in scholarships and roster spots. While playing time might become an issue later down the road for some players, what about the 9-10 game playing time that was missed this season?