Originally Posted by Grlslaxrules
Originally Posted by Anonymous
That’s the problem but. A 15-16 year old is making that decision. Not a 45-55 year old parent. My daughter will be picking her school by the best team that wants her unless she grows up and gets common sense between now and October. This has been talked about on her about playing time or going to a top team. I’m on the team of how can you go somewhere and not play for four years. And now with the transfer portal, that could happen to a lot more kids at the top.

A few more things to add from someone who has gone through it. Yes, it’s an honor to be recruited to a school like UNC or Northwestern, but consider the commitment. It’s very different than Princeton, Stanford, ND. If you have very academically motivated daughter, she may not be able to take on a difficult major. Hard to play for a NC caliber team and get difficult work done in the classroom. How many lax players are computer science majors? You really need to decide what is most important. The other things to seriously consider is the facilities. Is there an indoor facility if the climate is cold? How far is the practice field from the dorm. For example, at Yale you need to take a bus to practice, yuk. How does the school/professors treat student athletes? Northwestern and Stanford love them. Harvard could care less. These are just schools I’m familiar with.

Some good points. Thank you. Gonna have my daughter add that question to coaches. Not sure she’ll get a straight answer but it’s a good one to ask.

all great info , but for many this is the point after three major events that the bench players on top teams realized it might have been better to go somewhere else and actually play and be seen

happens every year without fail , but go back three years and all they talk about is how great the practices are and that they will play in the recruiting years

Not sure my daughter at 16 is mature enough to see down the road in five years where she’s 21 and is sitting the bench on the number 5 team. Good flex in High School to say you are going to BC, NW UNC etc. but when you get there and don’t play, I think there may be some regrets. That’s why you see many of these transfers these days.

There are players that sit on the bench on every team … Dl, Dll, Dlll… not everyone gets meaningful game time.

But my point is she wouldn’t have to sit the bench if she goes to another team that isn’t top 20.

That is an ignorant statement. You have no idea if she would sit the bench or not.