Originally Posted by Anonymous
So the takeaway is do Juniors over UA 150?

I would say do neither. Take the 1k$ split that into two college I’d camps. Can’t convince me otherwise these days that the only people who should do these types of showcases are the kids on lower ranked club teams that get very little colleges watching them play.

Definitely Juniors over UA150! The top D1 coaches were at Juniors. You just have to be realistic about kids talent. If not D1 level, don’t waste your money here.

How do we know if our kid is D1 level?

detest to say it, but if you aren't getting interest by now, your daughter probably isn't. After President's Cup, your recruiting director should have shared which school were at least somewhat interested and wanted you to attend their prospect days. I

Be very careful who you listen to, (I would not listen to the above advise).

The college coaches will let you and your daughter know what level they believe your daughter is at. Do not rely on "recruiting directors" "club directors" "HS Coaches" etc...

Let the college coaches determine for themselves if they believe your daughter can play for them.

Your job is to do your best to make sure that your daughter gets in front of as many college coaches as possible.

Your daughters job is to do the best she can when she is playing.

Both you and your daughter must make the coaches aware of who your daughter is and that she has sincere interest in the coaches school and their lacrosse program.

Remember this:

* No coach gets all the players that they want.

* The "recruiting process" will go on for some time.

* The process is fluid, the landscape changes constantly. Every time a player commits coaches from other programs reevaluate their lists.

* There will be many rounds of players committing.

* Stay positive and help your daughter to do the same.

Sorry but if you don't listen to your recruiting directors, then you will end up wasting thousands of additional $$. Having a connected recruiting director is the number one reason to pay big $$ for a top club.

Given how the college recruiting process is managed through intermediaries until Sept. 1, then you are fool not to listen to the ones who cn actually talk to college colleges. You shouldn't be attending a summer prospect day if you haven't already received positive feedback from those schools

The kids who don't get offers are often the ones who are targeting top 25 schools, despite not getting any positive feedback from these schools before Sept 1.

I think your last paragraph is key. But it’s not that simple. Your kid could want to play for a team, go there and get out on the radar. But I think I agree. Don’t go to summer camps. Go to fall camps when you know a team is interested. If I could do over again, I would’ve saved a few thousand in camps.

Agree. We're waiting on interest to spend money. One D2 contacted the club recruiting director, but several directly contacted my daughter without ever talking to the club. She didn't even target D2 schools and only sent 5 or so emails total to D2 schools. One D1 (top 25) has contacted the club requesting her to attend a camp, so we are planning that one. From what we've heard from a lot of 24s and 23s, they had no prior knowledge of any interest before they were contacted on 6/15 or 9/1. Some might disagree, but we see no point in spending large amounts of money begging a small number of schools for attention. If there's interest, we'll return it in due kind. She'll pick from who wants her instead of begging schools to take her.

Same boat. She was contacted on June 15 by three top 5 D2 teams and a host of others. Had no idea they were interested. Never emailed them. Her club has never told her anyone is interested. Gonna assume she will be contacted by a few on Sept 1 and go from there. Not going to camps in the summer without knowing interest. That being said, the D2 teams wanted her to come to their summer camps, but my daughter wants to play D1 so we’ll wait till September

Just went through all this. Some advice:

1. Keep aggressively emailing coaches. They want to know that your daughter wants to be a part of their program.

2. You will more than likely be contacted by programs that your daughter did not express interest in. Keep all options open.

3. For your daughters top choices, she may be contacted, but not be their number one or two. My daughter got the post cards and calls on Sept 1, but there were a couple other ES others ahead of her. Whereas other programs , many which may be better academic and or lacrosse programs may have her much higher. Happened to my daughter. Screw them and go where you are wanted.

4. Take your official visits and see what the campus is all about. If your daughter is high on the list, they will usually give you time. My daughter did burn bridges with one saying she wanted to do more visits. But she probably would not have gone there anyway. A coach should not pressure the decision in my opinion.

5. We went to two camps prior to Sept. 1, one was a disaster because it was 100 degrees and my daughter was gassed after the drills. Second was OK, but would not do it again in hindsight. Several of the schools that contacted and heavily recruited my daughter, we were told only recruit from camps. So please do not think that going to camps is going to get your daughter recruited. It’s a scam.

6. Majority of schools like to recruit wealthy families. They will not outright tell you this, but look at the rosters. Do not disclose any financial info unless absolutely necessary. Do the financial calculator. Hide your money in tax sheltered accounts. If your adjusted income is less that $150K you will get far more than any athletic scholarship. My daughter gets a $70K need based scholarship with that income.

7. Go to the best academic school that has decent lacrosse and gives you the most money. Nobody cares about lacrosse but the parents and coaches. You definitely do not want your daughter at a losing program, but any school that has a chance at a conference championship is a good bet. Get a great degree, that’s most important!

Good luck!!

In regards to number 3, do they tell you where she is on their list?