Originally Posted by Anonymous
[quote=Anonymous]There are rumors that the Balto UA 25 coach is already reaching out to girls essentially offering them spots well before tryouts. Could just be rumors who knows. But UA is super political. And I’m not disgruntled- my daughter didn’t tryout last year and won’t be in town this year so I have no dog in this fight. But having witnessed this process for more than 6 years it’s ALWAYS politics. That’s not to say many girls who make it don’t deserve it - but there’s also ones who don’t. At least with Am Select club/HS ciaches can’t influence who is picked

Does anyone remember the UA Senior Game last year? The South team was awful and was full of handpicked big program kids. Ty had no effect on the Norths stellar offense.

Selection for Senior game is completely different than UA. As for AS not having influence, take a look at how many of the kids are from the same clubs where the coaches happen to also coach. Everyone always complains about politics in UA and maybe that is an effect of 1-2 kids but these coaches want to put the best team on the field. It’s ok if these kids make it and ok if they don’t. Unless they are winning mvp of the tourney it really doesn’t impact college selections drastically.

They totally have influence in both. AA is less political now but that is only because most of the top teams with the exception of Spallina are selecting at AS. But even this year, Spallina lost a couple of his kids to AS. And if there wasn't an AS tournament the same day as AA, all those top players from AS would be politically selected to go to the AA. Club coaches are politically in everything they are involved in. That being said, I know the downstate coach cut both of her own goalies. I can only imagine what is being said over there. A devil's advocate argument you can make is if the 2nd team in the country is running a team at AS, wouldn't you expect 75% of all those Capital or M&D players to make the team even if it wasn't political. Usually a top team from a region is excellent top to bottom.

Long Island and Maryland teams will always be outstanding at both tourneys.

The challenge is in other regions without the depth of talents. Usually talent goes to one event or another. For instance, for DC, American Select usually has better team and in the South and Upstate the best girls usually go to AA.