Originally Posted by Anonymous
Are there are lax programs in between rec league and elite? looking for a program for a multi sport girl. not interested in driving to all kinds of tournaments across the u.s. daughter is very athletic and wants to improve, but not enough opportunities in games & scrimmages (middies here only pass to each other, attack & defense don't touch the ball).

They only pass to girls they know can catch and throw the ball. That only happens when they are athletic (like you say your daughter is) AND committed to putting the time in, otherwise you are wasting your time. There is a reason girls don't pass to your daughter.

Typical excuse of a ball hog parent. My daughter is the best blah blah blah. The reason they don't pass is because you and your crappy coach don't force them to.

The ball should do the work. Pass the ball if it is the right play. If the girl doesn't/can't catch it, thats on them. The girls will figure it out quickly enough that they're the weak link.

It's not a that I think my daughter is the best. The fact is she can catch throw and shoot. It didn't happen by accident. My daughter loves to pass the ball to other girls who are similar. Sadly, there are too many girls on the field that make way to many mistakes. If your daughter is wide open and nobody passes to her, it's probably because she will likely miss the pass, drop the ball, or be intercepted. It's a lot of work to gain possession of the ball, it must be valued.

No, the ball should be passed to her if it's the right play. If she drops it, it's on her. Girls are mean. She'll get the message pretty quickly that she needs to step up her game. Also, most girls this age are hypercritical of themselves so she'll know darn well it's her fault. Parents talking to the girls parents will usually add to the pressure "Oh ... it would have been great if little Suzzie had caught that pass!" Trading a short term over a better long term fix is being short sighted. A win in 6th grade means less than nothing.

"They never pass me the ball."

"The girls pass me the ball but I don't catch it."

Which statement gets you a better player in the long run? The answer is obvious. If little Suzzie gets better the whole team gets better and teams win games.

The problem is...there are too many little Suzies who don't put the time in, and not enough girls who are skilled and consistent. That's why Maryland teams are better. The girls are much more dedicated as a whole. And I disagree that 6th-grade games don't matter. Winning games in 6th sets the tone and reveals difference makers. 8th grade comes around real fast, and that is recruiting year. Many of the better girls are also hoping to play Varsity in 8th grade, so 6th grade matters a lot!