Originally Posted by Anonymous
there are many parents, like myself, who are big proponents of zeroing in on one sport you love at this age, for our kids. pick one... focus on that one sport thru high school. academics and three sports a year do not mix. there is a huge percentage of injuries and burnout and unhappiness with it becoming a time burden for girls this age who overdo it with multiple sports. just no reason for it really. another important point here is that a singular high school sport is truly a year round thing at most high schools - workouts, off season practices, off season leagues.

I hope this entire post is sarcasm? The absolute worst thing a kid could do is become a one sport athlete. Orthopedists to coaches will tell you the same thing. We did it as kids in Jr High and HS and so should kids today, as long as their grades don't suffer of course.

Really? The absolute worst thing a kid can do is play one sport??? I can think of a few other things worse. So you are saying a kid can't choose to play one sport and do other things with their time besides playing other sports? I hope you realize there are things besides sports. And poor little Michael Phelps, that one-sport athlete. He is such a loser.

Actually he was a multi sport athlete in high school. Yes there are worse things a kid can do but you will struggle to find any top high school lacrosse player that does not play another sport. Go read the countless articles by orthopedic surgeons , have never read one that recommends playing 1 sport year round.