Originally Posted by The Hop
Cadets/Midshipmen do not graduate with $200k in the bank unless mommy put it there.
Pay received goes quickly toward uniforms, laundry services and other expenses. There is enough left over for some normal expense that college kids have. Such as pizza, beer and gas money (seniors have cars on base).
With that said the Academies are an incredible value IF your kid wants that lifestyle and is qualified.

Hop is right. One does not leave with $200k. A cadet's 'pay' goes to his/her account in the credit union and the money is used for more than the expenses mentioned above.

Want insight to decision making in regard to an academy? Perhaps this will help:

I attended an academy and chose to leave early. A decision I regret much of the time, but my decision for attending was misguided. I will not tell you the reasons of my departure as you would be shocked and it's not important for the purpose of this post. Below is what I figured out when I was around 28, my mind more mature, and long gone from an academy.

I was asked to play lacrosse, coming from a no-name school on the island, and had to pay my college tuition myself. I had high grades and boards, and made my mark on the field. The decision should be easy, right? Not so.

It's a very difficult decision for an 18 year old and there's even more burden if your family is in a tight situation financially. Don't make that a primary reason to attend! If you're qualified to get an offer from an academy, your qualified to be successful no matter what you do.

To anyone considering an academy: Know you have to be cut from a very particular cloth to attend AND graduate. It's a completely different mindset and way of life, while being one of the most honorable achievements to graduate. Don't let the latter point get in the way of the decision to attend, as the mindset and understanding of an academy's purpose is most important. The honor comes from commitment and beliefs in the system.

Also remember, the 'cadet' is ultimately trained to be a 'soldier' first, so ask yourself what is a soldiers purpose? Know it comes with sacrifices. One could be your life, yes. One can be leading others to a similar fate which you may have to live with. Interestingly, some never consider the flip side. Are they are willing/able to take the life of another human being?

If one graduates and makes it through, it can be a very rewarding path, don't get me wrong. It was my initial plan to play lacrosse, get thru with fewer obligated service years post graduation since the military was downsizing, and run a team on Wall St. After all, I would be bred a leader who can manage a platoon/company of individuals and make high level decisions under pressure. I'd be ahead of other professionals my age. Then I'd reap all the rewards and all the materialistic things that went along with Wall St. That's what I was told by those who guided my naive 18 year old mind. BUT that's not what academies are about and one doesn't attend for that reason alone. That is just one example of a misguided decision.

Deciding to go is a decision of a lifetime and it must be thought out carefully. For only lacrosse/sports and 'getting paid' to go there, it's not the right reason to attend. There are other great men and women that know the academy is what they want, and they would do anything to live that life and wear the uniform. Know you may be taking a spot away from some great individual if you are not 'ALL IN'.

Make sure you love what it represents first, considering all the benefits and connections in the real world down the road were taken away. Then consider the sacrifices. Then consider the way of life. Are you 'all in'?

Lastly, thank you to all the men and women who served since the birth of this great country. I saw only a small glimpse of the sacrifice and hard work our servicemen have done, and it opened my eyes. Be thankful they provide the means for your way of life, and for you not having to see the battlefield.