Originally Posted by Anonymous
The fact that most parents of committed lax players is that they receive no money! Most early commits get to commit because it costs the coach nothing! The parents are more than willing to pay for everything to tell everyone that there son has committed to a D1 school and that he received a full ride.

It's pretty sad and pathetic but it's the truth.

You are obviously making this up. the top schools that are engaging in the early commit process are all giving money for lax. That doesn't mean full ride, that means a partial.

Plenty of other d-1 schools do not give lax money (think patriot league) but that is also why they are not committing 9th graders. The early kids are going committing to schools that have offered money...

I have had two go through this process and would love to know what you are seeing that is different? Perhaps you are just spreading rumors and have no first had experience? Or, please share which of the early commit schools are not giving money?

Michigan, JHU, Virginia, UNC, Ohio, Penn State, Loyola...all giving money for lax.

I never said that the schools aren't giving scholarships. What I said is that a large amount of the commits are getting nothing so that there parents can tell everyone that they received a full ride to a D1 school. If a big program takes 15 kids in a year they are not al getting money. Half of them at least are getting nothing.

I guess we can agree and also disagree. I reread your post and you said most early commits receive no money. That is just not true. Most of the early kids receive decent offers, so I disagree. As we move further away from early commits into 11th grade kids verbally committing before signing of the letter of intent, I agree, most of those kids aren't getting much if any money. But it makes sense doesn't it? The schools that have money to give (most schools are not fully funded meaning they have less that 12.5 athletic lax scholarships per year or none at all) are recruiting later in the cycle. It is basic economics, the kids all first look for athletic dollars, so why would Holy cross waste their time trying to recruit a kid that is likely to get $ from somewhere else...

So those schools without money are left to see what kids are left that didn't get money end of 10th beginning of 11th grade.

Also, not trying to offend anyone that goes to any of those schools, they are for the most part great academic institutions anyone should be proud to attend. Also, we all know there will be some late bloomers that get lax money in his senior year because some coach with money absolutely needs that kid for a specific role...but the odds are the earlier the commitment, the better the chances of real $ for lax.

However, the concept of parents lying I happen to agree with. Many parents, even those early commits, get 10-50% lax money, and if they are lucky, some merit money and if they are below a certain income threshold, need based aid. So they say my kid got a full ride. It is not important to them to distinguish between athletic dollars, merit/grade dollars and need based dollars.

I don't choose to argue with them publicly, but the truth is most d-1 lax kids are not getting full rides for lax. The only reason it is important in my mind to this board is so that others, new to the recruiting world, can gauge what to expect and have some education when talking to the coaches.

Merit dollars are the best because they last all four years if the GPA stays above some minimum--usually around a 3.0. Need based are also great, but as has been discussed previously, most people are not getting those dollars with family incomes over $150k. Athletic dollars are year to year, even if the coach is telling you otherwise. He can pull from A and give to B--each is a one year grant...

Been through this twice and believe me or not, I understand all aspects because we have done our homework and I have no reason to lie about it on an anonymous website...

Best of luck to all your kids.