Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Just heard a scary story for early commitments. I boy committed to W&L in his junior year. He had already strong ACTs (33, that's over 2200 SAT equivalent) and a good GPA (3.8 out of 4.0) and good lax resume (good club team and all-county and HM all-state). When he did his early action application, he was not talking to any other schools and did not prepare any other application material for other schools. December 15th(or there abouts), he and 4 other lax commitments were not admitted! He had to scramble to apply to a bunch of other schools. Fortunately, the W&L coach was a stand-up guy and called around to other coaches and found this boy a slot at another school that was prepared to accept him (still an excellent school academically). Lesson: a verbal commitment is only that is not a binding commitment. While it is true that most times, commitments of this sort do work out, boys and girls need to be prepared to scramble as this boy did.

Can you coment on why he was not admitted? was it purley an academic/admissions decsion by the school?
I have a verbally committed rising senior, Im obviously concerned by this story. whats the thoughts by those whove gone through it. do you keep talking to coaches? apply to a "safety" school

Make sure the coach is fully "supporting" your son's application. My D3 son applied, coach told us to inform him when his app was submitted. We did. He got a call from the coach 3 days later that he was in, and had an official acceptance letter from the school 2 days later. It was that simple. Coaches support is crucial. The difference is some people think they are being recruited, when in fact the coach is telling you to apply, and if you get in on your own, you can come out for the team.