Originally Posted by Anonymous
I took my 14 year old 2019 grad year son to a 2019 Top D1 prospect camp recently at the behest of his club coach. I would estimate there were 70-75 kids attending and I was truly amazed at the talent level. We had never attended a prospect camp and this is all new to me. My son's club coach also attended and had a relationship with one of the coaches who was running the camp. After the camp's conclusion, the club coach introduced me to the coach. In the course of our conversation the coach complimented my sons play and remarked he really played well especially considering "nearly 60% of the players are already 16 years old and four are 17". I was shocked but I guess I shouldn't be. The club coached explained how desperate parents/players are to attend a top D1 school and dropping a year or two improves their chances. So, a kid starts school a year late and then does a PG year? Or a kid is held back and then does a PG year? I think its lunacy and will harm the sport in the long run.

were you given direction that you could do the same and increase your chances.

I too attended a prospect camp with my son and was told similar figures. There were 17Yo sophomores, did some quick math which would make them 19yo seniors. I think my son gained some respect with some players since they found out he was 14 but it is not a healthy situation.

I think I was told the age stats to open my eyes and possible proide a path to this university. Nothing was ever overt.

Are girls staying back at the same rate? Know of one girl committed to a top 5 college team that is two years older than most in her grade.