Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can anyone give me insight on the military academies? My kid who is a freshman just informed me that's what he wants to do. Not sure if I want him to do that but I have to support him. Is it easier to get into if they want you for a sport? Should I contact them stating he is interested. How many kids really want to do that? You are definitely not getting the same college experience going to a regular school I'm assuming.

If your son/daughter wants to go to an Academy one thing you should do is in their Junior year enroll in the Summer Program. This is a one week mini session on what it will be like there. Do your homework now. Find out how its done. Four years ago when my son went registration for it opened up at midnight in the beginning of March and it sold out quickly. It was around $350 for the week. It is a great learning experience for them. If they pass the course you are an automatic candidate into any of the academies. Email the coaches like you would any other college coach. Remember in the Academies they recruit a lot of freshmen because the percentage of kids that are able to keep up with the heavy academics and athletics are less than in regular college. one thing that is for sure is after they graduate they will have $ in the bank and when they retire from service they will be set for life . The Alumni are a strong group that takes care of their own.

Set for life? In what way? I did business with a Company that hired many WP grads... None were set for life. They had to work hard for life, like everyone else.