Originally Posted by Powderfinger
Originally Posted by Anonymous
The fact that most parents of committed lax players is that they receive no money! Most early commits get to commit because it costs the coach nothing! The parents are more than willing to pay for everything to tell everyone that there son has committed to a D1 school and that he received a full ride.

It's pretty sad and pathetic but it's the truth.

I believe this to be the reality. I hear too many "full ride" stories to believe, and not just in lacrosse. There's not that much money out there. <cue the "my kid got a full ride posters>

As for the early commits transferring, that will be something to watch and track. I don't think 9th and 10th graders can make a sound choice, but I don't think 11th and 12th graders are reliable either. They're still kids. What do they know about life and careers and what the whole college experience will be like? It's a crap shoot. One of my kids had a lifelong career in mind, choose her college accordingly -- and then choose a new career at the end of sophomore year! Doh! You just don't know, they just don't know, you play it as it comes.

As for transferring, be aware that there are NCAA restrictions. I'm not fully conversant on these but you may have to sit out a year, you may need your coach's consent, you may be penalized by your coach if you discuss it with him/her and don't go through with it (seen that secondhand). Transferring is, of course, a possibility, but it's not as easy as just deciding to do so.

I agree with most of your comments. Most of the early commits I know including mine are not getting a full ride. Numbers are generally around 20-30%.

As far as transferring, that would happen only after you actually matriculated to a school, so I don't think it is relevant to the early commit conversation at all. Presumably, the early commit offer was accepted, then a letter of intent signed knowing exactly what the numbers are, who the coach is and assuming the kid still wants to go to that school. If after he shows up and decides he doesn't like it and wants to transfer, the same rules apply whether the kid was an early commit or a late one. Not part of the thought process (nor should it be) when the 9th or 10th grader commits...