Originally Posted by Anonymous
Moving up kids is not the answer. Some years are just bad years for teams. Parents want their kids moved up so they can say my son plays varsity in 9th grade. Better to sacrifice a varsity yr and keep younger kids playing together. Moving up for girls is a whole different thing. Girls game is a different game all together in the physical sense. The growth spurts boys have between frosh soph yrs to jr sr are usually pretty big. Why put a younger player at risk. My opinion is younger players get keyed up on when playing up as well. Big target for the opposing team.

I disagree. The other school of thought is to move up the better players and have them practice and play with the varsity team.The JV programs don't have the best players on them. They have all moved up. This helps them develop faster and get use to the speed of the game. Which is much faster on Varsity. This is what 99% of the HS programs are doing. Go look around Long Island the hot bed for Lax and you will see this every were. There are 2017 players making big impact to there teams. If your program is not doing this it will/has fallen behind. Better to sacrifice a varsity season and move these kids up. Playing together is not as helpful as developing each kids skills. Look around college programs they move kids in and out all game long.