Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can we start a discussion on how to influence the decision to use shot clocks in public schools? When will they make this change? If girls are going to play in college they need to get used to shot clocks.

In a recent game a local public high school coach had her team hold the ball (not passing just standing there with the ball in player's stick) for 19 consecutive minutes. Yes 19 minutes in the second half. Out of a 25 minute half, the ball only moved for 6 minutes! The fact that the coach used this tactic as an opportunity to "stick it" to her former high school is a whole other thread. But if a shot clock were in place it would have prevented this type of poor sportsmanship.
If this is 100% true, have to share the name of the HS. If you hold it for 19 straight minutes, you forego normal rules of decorum and can expect people to talk.

There is a full article about it in the Capital Gazette today. It was Chesapeake High School who was LOSING 7-2 when they decided to hold the ball for 17 minutes. Their coach was quoted as saying it was a big victory for them as they had never held this opponent to 7 goals before (they typically get blown out by them). I am sorry but if I am a Chesapeake player or parent I would not be happy. I would rather my daughter try to compete and learn something from a game.

Basically the Chesapeake coaches (both former SPHS coaches) are saying to their team they are not good enough to be competitive. Way to pump up the self esteem of these girls. Talk about head games with athletes. The game in the first half was pretty competitive. The Chesapeake goalie rocked it out there. Total embarrassment for the Chesapeake program.