Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can we start a discussion on how to influence the decision to use shot clocks in public schools? When will they make this change? If girls are going to play in college they need to get used to shot clocks.

In a recent game a local public high school coach had her team hold the ball (not passing just standing there with the ball in player's stick) for 19 consecutive minutes. Yes 19 minutes in the second half. Out of a 25 minute half, the ball only moved for 6 minutes! The fact that the coach used this tactic as an opportunity to "stick it" to her former high school is a whole other thread. But if a shot clock were in place it would have prevented this type of poor sportsmanship.

Well, maybe someone should have at least tried to play tighter defense? I do agree that a shot clock would be nice, but then there's the potential of some REALLY out of hand scores because let's be honest, there's a HUGE range of talent level in the public schools. I don't really know what's a good answer, but a shot clock would be a nice addition but more so for games that are closer so no one is playing keep away the last 10 minutes of a game. I know in basketball in the state, the shot clock is turned off once the score is +35 points. They could do similar if it's 10 or 15 maybe?

I wish it was here, but there are 3 issues here:

1.) Who is paying for the equipment to do this? What if you are on a field with no scoreboard?

2.) This will take away a tactic that slightly lesser teams use to stay in the game with better teams. Taking the air out of the ball is an equalization strategy. So the rich will get richer.

3.) The MPSSAA is trying to grow the game (see PG county schools added a few years back). A shot clock will disincentivize adding girls lacrosse to areas that historically did not have teams. Come playoff time, these teams from non-lax areas are getting beat 25-0. With a Shot clock it will be 40-0, or a roll to the corner every 90 seconds or 2 minutes.

Good points!