Originally Posted by Anonymous
The state is plenty wide. Imagine stephen Decatur travelling to Century and linganore with 1 day off. I think the geographic regions make sense for the first bit. You can change them around a bit no need for Mont Co to all be in 1 region. I think they are aligned with other sports for the most part so to have an alignment just for 1 sport or each one individually each year is too much for the MPSSA. I am sure I could do a pretty good job for lacrosse but what about softball/ baseball etc. It used to be just 2 divisions not that long ago in lacrosse. I think the idea was that it would give more teams a chance to win. The real problem is that the lacrosse instruction for youth is extremely uneven in the state and getting worse.

True but 90% of the teams are between Frederick and Easton and they already do neutral site for the final 8 and lower. I am sure they can make a rule that allows teams to play halfway for the 1 or 2 games that are longer than an hour ride. MPSSAA already assigns classes to schools who don't correspond to their main class. (i.e. drops bottom half 2A teams in the 1A bracket, drops bottom half 3A teams in the 2A bracket), so having an exception for lacrosse is not unheard of.

Or maybe a simpler solution is to not bucket the geographic regions before the season starts, wait to see who fields a team for the playoffs and then divide the number of teams by the 8 regions. That way you could have 8 regions of 5, geographically aligned. instead of 7 teams in one region and 2 in another.