Originally Posted by Anonymous
It's fun watching parents who have overpaid for "AA" teams/programs for 10 years saying you need to be on one of those teams to play top D1 or D3. Don't rationalize.

If your son is good enough they will find you even no a B team that plays B competition.

You just need to be ON the field.
Not one of those parents but the majority, not all, best college players come from the AA rope teams. That’s just what the data supports. But if your goal isn’t to be on a top d1/d3 team then you don’t need to be on a top AA team so I agree with that. Take out the 80 d1 programs and the top 20 d3 programs. That leaves probably 300+ programs for your kid to find a spot so chances are they will play. But agree, you need to be on the field to even get those programs.

That being said if your kid is choosing a college to play lax instead of getting the best degree at the right school for them, not sure I would agree with that but that’s a whole different discussion…

This "data" doesn't exist. I see plenty of "AA" kids who are committing to good-not-great schools. You simply do not need to be on one of those teams to play at at top program.

I do agree that often those top programs aren't the best fit for the bulk of kids.

The data does exist. Just look at the rosters of most top d1 d3 programs. Most of them came from top AA programs, not all but most.

I do agree that there are plenty of AA kids commiting to mediocre programs but that’s natural as there aren’t teams with 20 superstars. Not every kid on a AA team is good enough to play at a high level. I would say the majority of them end up on mediocre college teams.

Top programs are not for everyone but it is the easiest pathway to a top d1 d3 program…if you are good