Originally Posted by Anonymous
I just looked at the "Commitment Center" tab of the BOTC site and started poking around the top lax universities to see what high schools their recruits are coming from. It is remarkable what % of the kids going to top lax universities are coming from prep schools - seems like 80%+. If you look at the Ivy League, it's rare to find any public school recruits. The majority of the public school kids I see are from LI. If you're not on LI, it looks like prep school plays a major role.

My kid plays for a top 10 club program and goes to public school not on LI. My hope was that playing for a great club would be enough to get him to the school that his talent and academics would allow.

Is it the prep school academic reputation that is making the difference? Or are a lot of the top public school players taking post-grad years at a prep school to get into their dream university?

I understand the points made earlier about the advantages of prep school . . . but I didn't expect to see such a lopsided distribution.

https://www.backofthecage.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/commitments/gender/boys/year/2023.html

The difference is:
50% Prep School Resources (for players and students generally). Coaches, Trainers, counselors, lower student-teacher ratio (by half or more). Free tutors!
25% Prep School Reputation
25% (or less) Actual Difference in Education vs. a Good Public School (which private and which public are we comparing?)