Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
I find it believable that some schools not full on spots are out of money for that class as you wrote. Quite possible that some coaches pour 3 scholarship equivalents into the fist 5-6 kids in a class. That leaves no money, but does leave another 5-8 spots for that recruiting class. Just me asking, but is there a reason to be concerned or paranoid if your son is committed but you are making more visits and entertaining more offers? I get it that coaches may not care and recruit committed kids, but is there a danger that the program you have committed to hears about that being shopped afterwards? Maybe not because it likely happens a lot anyways but wondering

I haven’t nor would I consider shopping around after commitment

We are in the same boat, BUT is it worrisome to anyone with a young commit that 2.5 years is a LONG time and your kid is off the market so to speak without any guarantees? Coaches move positions, teams find they need strength in a different area if earlier class commits don't pan out or get injured. This system is broken, both coaches and kids are under pressure to make decisions at very early stages.

My kid isn't shopping, and neither are we, but this whole thing makes me a bit nervous, and I will bet lots of the coaches are entering into it with some trepidation. I have seen star 14 year olds end up just okay and seen (typically late puberty) kids overtake those kids by senior year. Certainly some of the stud 14 year olds only get better, but I would put it at 50/50.