@BackOfTheCAGE
Recap: 2013 Brine National Lacrosse Classic

Baltimore, MD, July 5, 2013-- The East region rose to the top at the 2013 Brine National Lacrosse Classic with Long Island and New Jersey reaching the Championship rounds for both high school boys and girls. Long Island captured the 2013 Brine National Championship for high school girls while New Jersey high school boys emerged victorious edging an emotionally charged Long Island squad to win their first national title.

An estimated 3,700 people attended the 6th annual Brine National Lacrosse Classic over 3 days at the Maryland Soccerplex in Boyds, Maryland including NCAA lacrosse coaches from every division.

In total, 56 regional teams from different parts of the nation, 1,300 athletes and 96 coaches from the United States and Canada participated in the event.

NCAA lacrosse coaches from top colleges and university programs coached the Academy players during the 3 day event - Duke University, Virginia, Yale, Penn, Maryland, Towson, Villanova, UMBC, Georgetown, High Point, Hofstra, Air Force, Bellarmine, USC, Colorado, Monmouth and the University of Florida.

Long Island North swept through the Academy division to win their first national title. The squad was the most talented group of players in the nation and by far the most impressive grouping of players to have competed in the Brine National All Star Lacrosse Academy in 3 years.

Academy boys regional teams from Long Island North, Long Island South, Alabama, New Jersey, Georgia, Texas, Rochester (2012 Brine National Champions) and New England North reached the Elite 8 playoff round.

New Jersey won the Academy girls division by a one goal margin and score of 7-6 over Long Island in an exciting and well-played national championship game.

Academy girls regional teams from New Jersey, Long Island, Pennsylvania and Syracuse advanced to the Final 4 playoff round.

Long Island high school girls won the 2013 Brine National Championship defeating New Jersey 9-3 in the title game.
Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Maryland and Long Island advanced to the Final Four playoff rounds after competitive pool play.

The Final Four games were decided by only one goal.

In the high school boys division, New Jersey North advanced through the Elite 8 and Final Four rounds to become the 2013 Brine National Champion and qualify to play Canada for the 2014 Brogden Cup in Canada.

Regional teams were placed into different brackets for pool play. Teams experienced competition from various parts of the country.
• In high school boys pool A, Rochester (3-0-1), New Jersey South (2-0-2), Michigan (1-1-2), Florida (1-3) and Virginia (0-3-1) combined for a total of 7 wins, 7 losses and 6 ties, proving that the Brine National Lacrosse Classic is a most balanced and competitive tournament.
• High school boys pool B, New Jersey North (3-0-1), Syracuse (3-1)m Washington DC (2-1), Tennessee (0-3-1) and the West (0-3-1).
• High school boys pool C, Long Island North (4-0), Illinois (2-1-1), New England North (1-2-1), Carolina (1-3) and Pennsylvania (1-3)
• High school boys pool D, Maryland (3-0-1), Ohio (2-1-1) Long Island South (2-1-1), Georgia (1-2-1) and New England South (0-4-0).
• In high school girls pool A, defending National Champion Maryland (4-1), New Jersey (4-1), Syracuse (3-1-1) Carolina (2-2-1), Illinois (1-4) and Kentucky (0-5).
• High school girls pool B, Pennsylvania (5-0), Long Island (3-1), Washington DC (3-2), Florida (2-3), New England (1-3) and West (0-5).
• In the Academy boys division, pool A, New Jersey (3-0), Rochester (2-1), Carolina (1-2), and Washington DC (0-3).
• Academy boys pool B, Long Island North (3-0) proved unstoppable to capture the 2013 Brine National Championship with a total goal differential of +40, Texas posted a second place finish (2-1), New England South (1-2) and Florida (0-3).
• Academy boys pool C, New England North (3-0), Georgia (2-1), Illinois (1-2) and Maryland (0-3).
• Academy boys pool D, Long Island South (3-0), Alabama claimed second (2-1), Pennsylvania (1-2) and Ohio (0-3).
• In the Academy girls division, pool A featured Pennsylvania in first (3-0), Syracuse (2-1), Maryland (1-2) and Florida (0-3).
• Academy girls pool B, New Jersey (2-0-1), Long Island (2-0), Washington DC (1-2) and Alabama (0-3).
Yikes. Poor showing by Maryland. Hope we get
a better turnout at tryouts next year
repost from 2017 LI Forum---

Brine National Lacrosse Classic – parent observations on Middle School Boys Academy division

Of the 400 players over 300 were 2017s, about 80 were 2018s and less than 20 were 2019s

The athleticism at the event was phenomenal. The game was played very fast. All regions had great athletes. I do not think any one team stood out athletically.

The Long Island teams stood out the tournament for two reasons

Coaching – it is painfully obvious that the boys from LI are receiving better coaching day in and day out when back at home. For example, on other teams, basic slide packages failed regularly. One of my son’s teammates repeatedly claimed to be the “hot” slide regardless of where he and/or the ball were on the field. Middies dodged through heavy traffic while wide open teammates were stuck watching the turnover.

Team Play – with two teams for LI at the very least each club represented by multiple players should have had their club rosters split in half. The LI North team did not fully utilize their allotted field practice time on Monday. Why would they? Two games to play in the heat later that day, and these boys have been practicing together for years. Another 45 minutes wouldn’t make a difference. It was clear from the execution of plays that these boys were running plays beyond what was coached on July 1st.

This is very disappointing and a lost opportunity. All Star weeks are all about meeting new friends and passing to someone who is wearing a different helmet than you.
Originally Posted by Anonymous

Brine National Lacrosse Classic – parent observations on Middle School Boys Academy division

Of the 400 players over 300 were 2017s, about 80 were 2018s and less than 20 were 2019s

The athleticism at the event was phenomenal. The game was played very fast. All regions had great athletes. I do not think any one team stood out athletically.

Coaching – it is painfully obvious that the boys from LI are receiving better coaching day in and day out when back at home. For example, on other teams, basic slide packages failed regularly. One of my son’s teammates repeatedly claimed to be the “hot” slide regardless of where he and/or the ball were on the field. Middies dodged through heavy traffic while wide open teammates were stuck watching the turnover.

Team Play – with two teams for LI at the very least each club represented by multiple players should have had their club rosters split in half. The LI North team did not fully utilize their allotted field practice time on Monday. Why would they? Two games to play in the heat later that day, and these boys have been practicing together for years. Another 45 minutes wouldn’t make a difference. It was clear from the execution of plays that these boys were running plays beyond what was coached on July 1st.

This is very disappointing and a lost opportunity. All Star weeks are all about meeting new friends and passing to someone who is wearing a different helmet than you.

I'd have to disagree with the last statement, the object is to get the best in the region to play the best in other regions, the LI North team was definitely the dominant team, and yes, some of them play together on a regular basis. The opportunity was the fact that they were selected and was able to play against other regions.
So they ran away with the title, it is obvious that this year, LI had a strong showing, let's see how the 2017 players do next year when trying out for varsity and we will also see how our 2018, 2019, and 2020 fair next year. This event is attracting a lot more attention and I can guarantee that there will be probably 500+ who try out for the MS (Academy) group this coming fall.
Both Long Island teams were talented. I think the point is if the Breakers or Crabs sent 8-10 boys to Brine and they could run multile offenses, the results would be different. Maryland needs to do a better job raising awareness of this event. I am not discounting the talent of the Long Island teams, but they did have an unfair advantage over teams that met for the first time when gettng the uniforms.
I have to admit the 2019 group is impressive on Long Island. Alot of very good teams and talent. But actually how many of them would make this team? Obviously puberty plays a role in this because of that two year age difference. But when they get to 8th grade they will be a great group.
What is this MS academy you speak of? Spread the word now, how when do you sign up?

I'd have to disagree with the last statement, the object is to get the best in the region to play the best in other regions, the LI North team was definitely the dominant team, and yes, some of them play together on a regular basis. The opportunity was the fact that they were selected and was able to play against other regions.
So they ran away with the title, it is obvious that this year, LI had a strong showing, let's see how the 2017 players do next year when trying out for varsity and we will also see how our 2018, 2019, and 2020 fair next year. This event is attracting a lot more attention and I can guarantee that there will be probably 500+ who try out for the MS (Academy) group this coming fall.

This is an all star event. It is not a team showcase. The plays being run by LI North created an uneven playing field. This is fact, not opinion and not whining. All the other teams were quite evenly matched with each other. Rochester did this at the HS level a few years ago. The team practiced together regularly before the event.

This is an all star event. It is not a team showcase. The plays being run by LI North created an uneven playing field. This is fact, not opinion and not whining. All the other teams were quite evenly matched with each other. Rochester did this at the HS level a few years ago. The team practiced together regularly before the event.

The LI team had ZERO practices before the event.
The LI team could not work out plays ahead of time. Yes, 7 of the 25 play on one club team, but the rest were all from different teams and they could not play together or their club teams would freak out.

Long Island is a hot bed. Lots of programs, starting at an early age, all year round with top coaches, lots of competition and lacrosse has been a mainstream HS sport on LI for a long time.. maybe that's whey the LI team was so strong. Nah.. probably not...
Ahhh Excuses excuses. and LI could've done better advertising tryouts to 91 Extreme and Express Orange... come on... each region sends who they send... stop. ok?
Don't worry you do NOT sound like 'sour grapes' Keep practicing, we'll see you again next year!
The LI team could not work out plays ahead of time. Yes, 7 of the 25 play on one club team, but the rest were all from different teams and they could not play together or their club teams would freak out.

Long Island is a hot bed. Lots of programs, starting at an early age, all year round with top coaches, lots of competition and lacrosse has been a mainstream HS sport on LI for a long time.. maybe that's whey the LI team was so strong. Nah.. probably not...

Sorry to correct you but you have it backwards. 7 of the 25 kids from the North team were NOT from the Turtles. The rest of the roster was made up of kids from the Turtles. Thats a fact. I do agree with you though, Long Island lacrosse is as strong as its ever been and the 2017 age group is absolutely stacked with talent.
I heard there were a few kids from the Long Island South team that were unhappy about the amount of playing time their kids got. At least one kid left the tournament over it.
Yes, that is true and I hope every college recruiting coach has that players name because if you recruit this player, the father will be a raving lunatic in your face coach! This parent epitomizes EVERYTHING that the keynote speaker Greg Dale, coached parents and players NOT to do... Guess the player was not interested in playing for Duke.
I heard there were a few kids from the Long Island South team that were unhappy about the amount of playing time their kids got. At least one kid left the tournament over it.

I was looking at the overall roster and one of the boy on that team ( LI South ) is named Jake Caputo a 2019 boy from Apex, NC . The dads name is Ron so I am assuming its the event coordinator. Assuming that this is truer and the boy was placed on a roster to bolster is young lacrosse resume what does this say about the integrity of this event. No wonder why a kid left for lack of playing time.

I was looking at the overall roster and one of the boy on that team ( LI South ) is named Jake Caputo a 2019 boy from Apex, NC . The dads name is Ron so I am assuming its the event coordinator. Assuming that this is truer and the boy was placed on a roster to bolster is young lacrosse resume what does this say about the integrity of this event. No wonder why a kid left for lack of playing time.

Ron is from Long Island, coaches at Farmingdale, has family on LI...what's the big deal
Coaches at Duke University and according to roster lives in Apex, NC . Another son made the NC team and is a year older so it does seem a bit odd. Did these boys attend the regional try outs is the real question.

Ron is from Long Island, coaches at Farmingdale, has family on LI...what's the big deal

And what can you say about his (Caputo) Syosset friend whose two sons played for Team Ohio, I guess he coaches or lives there too. Awful how these guys play with peoples minds just plain awful and deplorable.
What's wrong is posting a 12 year old kids names regarless of what you may believe to be true about their parents!!
Agreed shouldn't include specifics but the previous posts are a bit alarming if true !
What's wrong is posting a 12 year old kids names regarless of what you may believe to be true about their parents!!
Nothing in these posts have violated the BOTC Board Rules which is why to this point the posts have remained uneditted.
What is the big deal? Did he deserve to play? Could this kid play on the DD's, or 91 2019 and be a stud? If not, he didn't deserve it!!!!

Ron is from Long Island, coaches at Farmingdale, has family kon LI...what's the big deal
Question is did the kid even tryout and if the dad is the event coordinator what influence was exerted on the evaluators. There is enough favoritism / nepotism on club teams are there any events not contaminated with such practices.
Originally Posted by LaxDad#14
What is the big deal? Did he deserve to play? Could this kid play on the DD's, or 91 2019 and be a stud? If not, he didn't deserve it!!!!

Ron is from Long Island, coaches at Farmingdale, has family kon LI...what's the big deal

There is no integrity of this event with the Long Island tryouts. Can speak of other areas. Look at the girls side with the region coordinator owns Team elevate. 11 girls at least made the LI girls team out of over 120 girls. Odds are impossible they are the best of the best. That was in addition to personal connections he had with other players on the team. Unfortunately, there are politics in everything!

Sorry to correct you but you have it backwards. 7 of the 25 kids from the North team were NOT from the Turtles. The rest of the roster was made up of kids from the Turtles. Thats a fact. I do agree with you though, Long Island lacrosse is as strong as its ever been and the 2017 age group is absolutely stacked with talent.

Not a FACT. Your numbers are a bit off, More like 12 of the 25 are Turtles & are in FACT spectacular, as were the other 13 LI players.

The kid left because his father is an idiot (hopefully the child will not learn better sportsmanship than his father showed). All the kids played, some more than others, some not in their normal positions but the idea was to win not get even playing times.
the kid was rock solid, scored at least 3 goals in one of the games, he also played for 2019 91 xTreme, someone want to complain about that.

Originally Posted by LaxDad#14

Originally Posted by CageSage
Nothing in these posts have violated the BOTC Board Rules which is why to this point the posts have remained uneditted.

So you are willing to post a 12 year olds first and last name while an adult talks about them??

WOW!
Originally Posted by CageSage

So you are willing to post a 12 year olds first and last name while an adult talks about them??

WOW!
I thought we already established this. Next question.
Fair enough! You have established. If that's your site and I will no longer visit!

You wouldn't appreciate if it was your child.
Thanks
Fair enough! You have established. If that's your site and I will no longer visit!

You wouldn't appreciate if it was your child.
Thanks
There is nothing that has been said negative about the player and certainly nothing appears to be in violation of the BOTC Board Rules.
Either way it is doubtful this boy tried out and if you live in a different state . It appears odd that you would not represent your home state.
Tired of hearing about this so I searched the Brine Classic site and under Middle School Long Island Boys Roster announced the previously mentioned boy is not listed .See link below. So there is merit to question the lack of integrity in this showcase. The event coordinator should be removed , not only because he allowed this but he also is benefitting by his position. It's hard to imagine another 2017 Long Island boy would not benefit in stature or confidence by being named to the team.
http://www.nationallacrosseclassic.com/news/long-island-middle-school-bo1
Tired of hearing about this so I searched the Brine Classic site and under Middle School Long Island Boys Roster announced the previously mentioned boy is not listed .See link below. So there is merit to question the lack of integrity in this showcase. The event coordinator should be removed , not only because he allowed this but he also is benefitting by his position. It's hard to imagine another 2017 Long Island boy would not benefit in stature or confidence by being named to the team.

somebody must be monitoring this site very closely (NSA?) because I just looked at your link and the boy is clearly registered on the main page with all the kids from all the teams, can't wait for Oliver Stone to explain all this http://www.nationallacrosseclassic.com/2013-academy-boys/
Correct but not on the original announced rosters so how did he get placed on a team he did not try out for. It seems as though you are vehemently trying to defend these actions as though you have a vested interest. Facts are facts this boy should never have received the same accolades of a boy who worked hard and tried out for this showcase. If you continue to look at the main page roster there are a lot of question marks that can be placed alongside a boy who lives far away from the state he played for.

somebody must be monitoring this site very closely (NSA?) because I just looked at your link and the boy is clearly registered on the main page with all the kids from all the teams, can't wait for Oliver Stone to explain all this http://www.nationallacrosseclassic.com/2013-academy-boys/
BOTC cannot document when these updates took place but we do know that something changed between the original posting and your follow-up.

If members of the Brine National Lacrosse Classic are following us here on BOTC (after all, why wouldn't you? smirk ), they should contact us directly and we can then get an official view on the tryouts process. While we cannot change anything that has taken place in the past year, we can certainly increase the transparency for everyone going forward. Transparency instills trust.
Correct but not on the original announced rosters so how did he get placed on a team he did not try out for. It seems as though you are vehemently trying to defend these actions as though you have a vested interest. Facts are facts this boy should never have received the same accolades of a boy who worked hard and tried out for this showcase. If you continue to look at the main page roster there are a lot of question marks that can be placed alongside a boy who lives far away from the state he played for.

I do not have a vested interest, my kid played in the tournament 2 years ago and I have no life so I read BOTC 24/7 and like to stir the pot when I read obsessive compulsive anonymous postings on lax sites, it rocks my world, and FYI the father/director you have a beef with has an e-mail and phone number posted on his teams web site, give him a call and hash it out with him, I am sure that will go well!! http://www.goduke.com/StaffDirectory.dbml

I do not have a vested interest, my kid played in the tournament 2 years ago and I have no life so I read BOTC 24/7 and like to stir the pot when I read obsessive compulsive anonymous postings on lax sites, it rocks my world, and FYI the father/director you have a beef with has an e-mail and phone number posted on his teams web site, give him a call and hash it out with him, I am sure that will go well!! http://www.goduke.com/StaffDirectory.dbml

Who cares? Is this a surprise to everyone? He knew someone and got on a team. Anyone think this is only kid that got on that way? Think that's any different than any HS or travel tryout? Welcome to life. All about who you know and how you can position yourself. Everyone is all about integrity today while they are leaving kids back in school and play on teams they are not on! Move on!

i don't think people want to believe how corrupt these showcases really are because if your child makes the team legit it negates the value of the accomplishment. However it does seem like something is wrong with the overall selection process.
i don't think people want to believe how corrupt these showcases really are because if your child makes the team legit it negates the value of the accomplishment. However it does seem like something is wrong with the overall selection process.

Agreed, there's something definitely wrong with this picture and the Duke coach should not be playing games like putting kids on a team that kids didn't try out for. It cheapens the entire selection process as well as the overall tourney .

Who cares? Is this a surprise to everyone? He knew someone and got on a team. Anyone think this is only kid that got on that way? Think that's any different than any HS or travel tryout? Welcome to life. All about who you know and how you can position yourself. Everyone is all about integrity today while they are leaving kids back in school and play on teams they are not on! Move on!

Who cares you ask! You write the word integrity then write move on!

No, here is where you make your stand and not move on. Here is where we teach our kids right from wrong and show them that although other people may not always do the right thing, yes that is life but you do not disgrace the family name by doing the wrong thing (perceived or actual) what the heck happened to morals.

You teach your kid yes it is sometimes hard to do the right thing but you still need to try.

No, here is where you make your stand and not move on. Here is where we teach our kids right from wrong and show them that although other people may not always do the right thing, yes that is life but you do not disgrace the family name by doing the wrong thing (perceived or actual) what the heck happened to morals.

You teach your kid yes it is sometimes hard to do the right thing but you still need to try.

"Disgrace the family name"?? Slow down Shakespheare! I agree teach your kids the right thing, but the right thing is not always reality unfortunately. That is important to teach as well.

"Disgrace the family name"?? Slow down Shakespheare! I agree teach your kids the right thing, but the right thing is not always reality unfortunately. That is important to teach as well.

"...but the right thing is not always reality unfortunately." I think you are confusing reality with perception.

"...but the right thing is not always reality unfortunately." I think you are confusing reality with perception.

Maybe your right?

Nope! It's Reality. Perceptions are the conclusions everyone has jumped to.
It's called justifying and that's what you sad people are trying to do. Do you people have any concept of right or wrong, black or white and good vs bad. There is a line as parents, coaches and mentors that should not be crossed. If we justify bad actions what are we teaching our kids, cheat on a test as long as you don't get caught. We are not lacrosse parents we are parents and not immuned to raising kids with poor character.
The real process was initial rosters were selected after each tryout and 25 boys were accepted to each team as a result of the tryouts. At that time boys were accepted based on the tryout they attended. These are the rosters posted in the news feed of the website.

As the event drew near and final deposit plus hotel bookings become due, drops occurred. I am sure there are plenty of reasons for the drops, but assume injury is the top cause. This created gaps on most rosters. The academy boys list on the website excludes players who dropped and includes alternates who attend the national event.

The alternate process for any all-star event is always a scramble. In most cases alternates were informed only a few days before the event. Alternate parents were required to make a decision in 24 hours to book three nights hotel, find a way to get to Maryland fighting Sunday traffic, pay an entry fee, and re-arrange 4th of July vacation plans. Many families at that point simply couldn’t go. As a result, the alternates on several teams included players who were placed from other tryouts. Several teams had 1-2 out of state players.

It is no surprise that an alternate who had a brother playing, and a parent who needed to be at the event anyhow said yes to his invitation. Based on the comments on this forum, it is unfortunate that this child was placed on LI South. This child played well at the tournament as mentioned by another poster. I am sure this child played well at the tryout he attended.

Coach Caputo is a man of great integrity. At the event he provided great mentorship and guidance to every boy he came in contact with. His postgame comments regarding the importance of respecting yourself, applying yourself academically, and being a “tough guy” by knowing when to say “no” and helping your friends do the same offered invaluable advice to each boy who heard him speak.

My son had a great time at this year’s event. I hope he is able to play in the High School version.
The real process was initial rosters were selected after each tryout and 25 boys were accepted to each team as a result of the tryouts. At that time boys were accepted based on the tryout they attended. These are the rosters posted in the news feed of the website.

As the event drew near and final deposit plus hotel bookings become due, drops occurred. I am sure there are plenty of reasons for the drops, but assume injury is the top cause. This created gaps on most rosters. The academy boys list on the website excludes players who dropped and includes alternates who attend the national event.

The alternate process for any all-star event is always a scramble. In most cases alternates were informed only a few days before the event. Alternate parents were required to make a decision in 24 hours to book three nights hotel, find a way to get to Maryland fighting Sunday traffic, pay an entry fee, and re-arrange 4th of July vacation plans. Many families at that point simply couldn’t go. As a result, the alternates on several teams included players who were placed from other tryouts. Several teams had 1-2 out of state players.

It is no surprise that an alternate who had a brother playing, and a parent who needed to be at the event anyhow said yes to his invitation. Based on the comments on this forum, it is unfortunate that this child was placed on LI South. This child played well at the tournament as mentioned by another poster. I am sure this child played well at the tryout he attended.

Coach Caputo is a man of great integrity. At the event he provided great mentorship and guidance to every boy he came in contact with. His postgame comments regarding the importance of respecting yourself, applying yourself academically, and being a “tough guy” by knowing when to say “no” and helping your friends do the same offered invaluable advice to each boy who heard him speak.

My son had a great time at this year’s event. I hope he is able to play in the High School version.

Thank you for the time to explain what you know. It is a perfectly good explanation of why there were some changes in the rosters. My own son missed almost the whole spring and summer lax season due to injury, so this makes total sense to me.

This is the biggest line of justifying B.S. in the history of B.S. If , in the last days before the event 1 player dropped out, and no alternate could be found, the team could have easily went to MD. with 24 as apposed to 25. The kid was put on the roster because of who his father is and politics.
How do you know the REAL process ? Why don't you reveal who you REALLY are and how you are so much in the know. Caputo should step aside because made a tactical error and exposed what a B.S. showcase this is and opportunistic idiot he is.
If only 1 out of 400 players (16 teams) dropped and that single spot was given away by nepotism rather than allowing the single impacted team to go with 24 players than I agree that the choice is unfair B.S. However, there were many alternates at the event. On my boys' team several players were not from the original chosen roster. Not all of those players attended our tryout, but all had attended a tryout.

This is the biggest line of justifying B.S. in the history of B.S. If , in the last days before the event 1 player dropped out, and no alternate could be found, the team could have easily went to MD. with 24 as apposed to 25. The kid was put on the roster because of who his father is and politics.
If only 1 out of 400 players (16 teams) dropped and that single spot was given away by nepotism rather than allowing the single impacted team to go with 24 players than I agree that the choice is unfair B.S. However, there were many alternates at the event. On my boys' team several players were not from the original chosen roster. Not all of those players attended our tryout, but all had attended a tryout.

That's a fair point and if you look at the boys on the final roster Alabama only had 23 so why not put the kid there rather than a Long Island Team. Also, what's up with two brothers from NY playing for Ohio which had 26 players and 9 Attack which included those two boys. There is something weird about all this stuff !
this was a very weak event. It had 6th and 7th graders in. Fun yes, good lacrosse not so much
this was a very weak event. It had 6th and 7th graders in. Fun yes, good lacrosse not so much

Hold on to your wallets it's just the begininng!
Let me guess everyone. The college coaches who "noticed" your son and his wonderful lacrosse IQ and abilities emailed you with an exclusive invite to a showcase event or a camp costing $709+ for 3 daysor $2200 a week. Welcome to the Brine two step people.
This thing is a complete money making scam. Amazed all the MS families who really think this is good competition. Any decent summer tournament is a better value for the money (and offers better competition).

These fools will send their son to the HS version and then realize what a waste of money it is.
On the other hand my son played there and was noticed by a D1 coach along with a few teammates. It was a good experience for him, he has to get more weight on him and we didn't expect offers this early. The coach watched at another event with his real team to make sure, but has made offers to two boys.
The Captain U thing was an annoying scam though, and very misleading to say the least, and we got several silly "dear elite lacrosse player" camp invites.
It seems team md is really a dc area focused team. Any idea why Baltimore area kids aren't represented?
Looks like they are trying to finish up the championship games that were canceled.
http://www.nationallacrosseclassic.com/championship-lacrosse-series/
Wonder how many kids will want to travel to Florida during Christmas break.
We got the email too. This is a total scam. My oldest did this once all the way through the summer tournament and it was a very expensive complete waste of time. $80-$120 for a tryout? then the event is expensive, and yes there are a few college coaches there but less than at any baseline lacrosse tournament any of your kids will play in fall or summer for their club. Save your money for something else, this is a total hit and run money grab.
College coaches get paid to attend these events by the event organizers to make the events appear legitimate and well attended. Some flunky with a wide brimmed hat, logo college shirt and a clip board. Paying ridiculous amount of money for kids to play 2018 / freshmen lacrosse under the guise of recruiting tournaments - really! How many 2018's / freshman are viable recruits at this point - scam!
We got the email too. This is a total scam. My oldest did this once all the way through the summer tournament and it was a very expensive complete waste of time. $80-$120 for a tryout? then the event is expensive, and yes there are a few college coaches there but less than at any baseline lacrosse tournament any of your kids will play in fall or summer for their club. Save your money for something else, this is a total hit and run money grab.
College coaches get paid to attend these events by the event organizers to make the events appear legitimate and well attended. Some flunky with a wide brimmed hat, logo college shirt and a clip board. Paying ridiculous amount of money for kids to play 2018 / freshmen lacrosse under the guise of recruiting tournaments - really! How many 2018's / freshman are viable recruits at this point - scam!

Yeah but not as bad as $75 for Jake Reed to review your clip to allow you to come to Nike and pay more $$$$. $75 for three minutes? No thanks, I wonder if they just collect waiting list names so they can charge them all $75 to "watch" your video.

Yeah but not as bad as $75 for Jake Reed to review your clip to allow you to come to Nike and pay more $$$$. $75 for three minutes? No thanks, I wonder if they just collect waiting list names so they can charge them all $75 to "watch" your video.

I don't think hold backs are the norm in any scenario aside from a couple private high schools in DC. In general, if your kid's team loses, it is because they are not as good. Accept it as motivation to get better in the areas they were shown to to be weaken in and move on....

3d has turned the Jake Reed franchise into a total money grab in many layers. I'd say the difference is you can make an argument that the $75 application + $700 to go to Florida 3d Blue Chip + $700 to go to the Jake Reed event not including travel or other expenses is an investment that will get your kid a looksie from a lot of coaches at the Jake Reed camp. I think for the money it is a bad investment and you can get noticed just the same playing well on your club team at tournaments, but not selling it here. Brine is a total waste of time and money for nothing but a tee shirt and shorts.
So we can have this thread best plan of attack for the class of 2019,2018,2017,2016. What do you all think each kid should do from these classes. EX. club team + brine+ fill in the blank camp? I know there is hundereds of answers but it should help lots of parnets.
2016's ..too late for any sports related money, all scholarship spots have been handed out, potentially still possible to get a roster spot offer w/no money
2017's.. top D1 teams are done at this age also.. narrow down your list of schools from about 10 to 4-5 get to that teams clinic\camp send highlight reel to taregetd coach along email your wish to be part of the team/university
2018 .. identify 10 schools where you have an interest in playing and that offer academic major you wish to pursue, try to visit campus, email coach, inform them of where you'll be playing tournanments etc for fall/winter/summer. start putting highlight reel together, get to camps/clinics sponsored by those 10 schools.. try and get into high profile camps..
2019.. wall ball, play lax, have fun,
So what you are saying it all comes down to your 9th grade year the summer before or after you 9th grade school year?
Some of the soundest advice I have seen on these threads!
2016's ..too late for any sports related money, all scholarship spots have been handed out, potentially still possible to get a roster spot offer w/no money
2017's.. top D1 teams are done at this age also.. narrow down your list of schools from about 10 to 4-5 get to that teams clinic\camp send highlight reel to taregetd coach along email your wish to be part of the team/university
2018 .. identify 10 schools where you have an interest in playing and that offer academic major you wish to pursue, try to visit campus, email coach, inform them of where you'll be playing tournanments etc for fall/winter/summer. start putting highlight reel together, get to camps/clinics sponsored by those 10 schools.. try and get into high profile camps..
if you're in the market for a D1 program with athletic money, yes , the prime time years are 9th and 10th grades, specificaly the 3 summers.. begining with the summer before 9th grade, the summer between 9th and 10th and summer after 10th.. it's my opinion, im sure others may differ and there may be examples that dispute it but for the majority of players that advance to play in college (D1) they verbal in one of those three years

This is absolutely ridiculous. Plenty of players get athletic money the summer after their junior year in HS.
2016's 2017's done ?? NOT TRUE. Some 2015 spots are still available. Kids who committed and did not make the grade or decided against the school they committed to 3 years ago for what ever reason (coach is no longer there) better opportunity came along. Don't go by what you read my kid is a 2015 and just received a call from 3 DIFFERENT D1 schools asking if he would be interested. Send transcript and SAT scores immediately and get to campus in the next 2 weeks so things happen. Unless the coach of the school you are interested says goodbye to you keep in touch
2016's 2017's done ?? NOT TRUE. Some 2015 spots are still available. Kids who committed and did not make the grade or decided against the school they committed to 3 years ago for what ever reason (coach is no longer there) better opportunity came along. Don't go by what you read my kid is a 2015 and just received a call from 3 DIFFERENT D1 schools asking if he would be interested. Send transcript and SAT scores immediately and get to campus in the next 2 weeks so things happen. Unless the coach of the school you are interested says goodbye to you keep in touch

Yep!!! My 2017 got an offer last week from a top 10 school, and know others who are still in talks. Know a 2015 who got an offer from a top 10 a few weeks ago. There are plenty of spots. Keep your grades up and do SAT/ACT prep. Lots of kids will not get admitted to the Ivys, ND, JH, or service academies without grades and boards and no behavior issues.
That is total nonsense, there are fewer than 5 programs with all spots filled for 2017s and they are the early recruiting big three (Hop, UVa, UNC) then arguably UMD and for this class UPenn moved very fast versus prior history. A lot of big name programs have a single or a few 2017s. For 2016s it would be sensible to state this is later in the process, but by no means is it over for kids who are not committed. It is over for kids who were determined for UVa, UNC or Hop, but that is hardly a list to extrapolate too much from. A healthy attitude now is to also consider these kids have three years of HS left before actually playing in college, and that is a long time to get stuck on a focus of not having fun and getting better, which matters most.
I know the early verbel is a new thing. But is there any charts anywhere to see how many kids verbeled in 9th or 10th grade and did or did not make it to the school. And then on top of that did they start or never start for the college.
That is total nonsense, there are fewer than 5 programs with all spots filled for 2017s and they are the early recruiting big three (Hop, UVa, UNC) then arguably UMD and for this class UPenn moved very fast versus prior history. A lot of big name programs have a single or a few 2017s. For 2016s it would be sensible to state this is later in the process, but by no means is it over for kids who are not committed. It is over for kids who were determined for UVa, UNC or Hop, but that is hardly a list to extrapolate too much from. A healthy attitude now is to also consider these kids have three years of HS left before actually playing in college, and that is a long time to get stuck on a focus of not having fun and getting better, which matters most.

Dont use whats posted on Laxpower as a definitive resource.. that information is either self reported by the player or club and possibly by the university.. I have had contact with coaches with zero recruits listed on laxpower for a particular Grad class whose recruiting class was finished for that year..
The first 9th grade commit was in high school class of 2016. We are a long ways off from having data. There are a good number of kids who are now college freshmen who committed in summer before 10th grade, so this freshmen set of NCAA players are a decent first set of "earlies".

Dont use whats posted on Laxpower as a definitive resource.. that information is either self reported by the player or club and possibly by the university.. I have had contact with coaches with zero recruits listed on laxpower for a particular Grad class whose recruiting class was finished for that year..

Still most D1 programs are not filled for 2017 OR 2016. There are still 2105s announcing and moving about.
Dont use whats posted on Laxpower as a definitive resource.. that information is either self reported by the player or club and possibly by the university.. I have had contact with coaches with zero recruits listed on laxpower for a particular Grad class whose recruiting class was finished for that year.. [/quote]

Still most D1 programs are not filled for 2017 OR 2016. There are still 2105s announcing and moving about. [/quote]

There is no absolute guide. Our 2017 is an Ivy commit "to the process" and the world won't see it until December of his senior year when he finally gets an admissions letter. It is all talk until that point, and talk is cheap. So technically right now in October 2014, the slate is blank for every Ivy program for 2015, 16, 17, 18...until December and then you have your 2015s set. A lot of this bantor is over "confidence letters" from coaches and possibly "comfort letters" from coaches or administrators essentially stating if you meet these grades and scores criteria we will support your application for admission.

In terms of the scholarship schools, I do subscribe that what you see showed out on IL, Ty Xanders, etc. is accurate. Judging from the mindset of club owners trying to list their club resume with commits list, and the outrageous level of insecurity and vanity of the average lacrosse daddy I plainly don't believe there are invisible ACC, Big 10, Patriot, etc. commits out there in any class. And even if club owners and lacrosse daddies had an urge to be discreet, the NCAA coaches would likely put out there via Ty Xanders or IL Preps or 3d or some other delivery mechanism. I think we all have it on good information now that part of the notoriety that Breschi, Petro and Starsia want is to flex muscle and grab theirs first and let the world no no touch he is mine. Maybe this year UMD and U Michigan join the freshman fall commits lunacy in a big way, and have started looking that way, but we are still talking about a small slice of the D1 pie of spots.

Lastly, you think Loyola and Cuse are loser programs? One won NCAA a couple years ago and the other has played in the last game a few times in recent years. Neither of those schools even look at 9th graders in a meaningful way, and look at the performance of their programs. If a 9th or 10th old reads stuff like all is lost, you can go look at D2 or D3 now that is a pretty horrible mindset to promote while they should be having some competitive fun and developing their game. Remember, any 2016 or 2017 has 2 or 3 years of HS lacrosse left and a total of 6-7 years left playing a kid's game. Don't ruin it for them by saying all the buses are full, especially if it is untrue. And it is untrue. Find something or someone else to bash with that nonsense of "I talk to coaches who have no public commits but are full" nonsense. No NCAA coach is going to speak that candidly to you in that manner unless he is simply tired of you calling and emailing like a crazy lacrosse dad of a kid they are not going to recruit, so this is the most effective way to get rid of you constantly trying to contact him. Did that ever occur to you?

Still most D1 programs are not filled for 2017 OR 2016. There are still 2105s announcing and moving about. [/quote]

There is no absolute guide. Our 2017 is an Ivy commit "to the process" and the world won't see it until December of his senior year when he finally gets an admissions letter. It is all talk until that point, and talk is cheap. So technically right now in October 2014, the slate is blank for every Ivy program for 2015, 16, 17, 18...until December and then you have your 2015s set. A lot of this bantor is over "confidence letters" from coaches and possibly "comfort letters" from coaches or administrators essentially stating if you meet these grades and scores criteria we will support your application for admission.

In terms of the scholarship schools, I do subscribe that what you see showed out on IL, Ty Xanders, etc. is accurate. Judging from the mindset of club owners trying to list their club resume with commits list, and the outrageous level of insecurity and vanity of the average lacrosse daddy I plainly don't believe there are invisible ACC, Big 10, Patriot, etc. commits out there in any class. And even if club owners and lacrosse daddies had an urge to be discreet, the NCAA coaches would likely put out there via Ty Xanders or IL Preps or 3d or some other delivery mechanism. I think we all have it on good information now that part of the notoriety that Breschi, Petro and Starsia want is to flex muscle and grab theirs first and let the world no no touch he is mine. Maybe this year UMD and U Michigan join the freshman fall commits lunacy in a big way, and have started looking that way, but we are still talking about a small slice of the D1 pie of spots.

Lastly, you think Loyola and Cuse are loser programs? One won NCAA a couple years ago and the other has played in the last game a few times in recent years. Neither of those schools even look at 9th graders in a meaningful way, and look at the performance of their programs. If a 9th or 10th old reads stuff like all is lost, you can go look at D2 or D3 now that is a pretty horrible mindset to promote while they should be having some competitive fun and developing their game. Remember, any 2016 or 2017 has 2 or 3 years of HS lacrosse left and a total of 6-7 years left playing a kid's game. Don't ruin it for them by saying all the buses are full, especially if it is untrue. And it is untrue. Find something or someone else to bash with that nonsense of "I talk to coaches who have no public commits but are full" nonsense. No NCAA coach is going to speak that candidly to you in that manner unless he is simply tired of you calling and emailing like a crazy lacrosse dad of a kid they are not going to recruit, so this is the most effective way to get rid of you constantly trying to contact him. Did that ever occur to you?[/quote]

OK, I will differ to your expertise as I am certainly no expert, but I do speak from my personal experience. I sat across a desk from a coach who was actively recruiting my kid (who has committed, thanks) and was told that of the potential "lax scholarship positions" available for that grad year all offers have gone out and most have accepted. I did my due diligence prior to that face to face and could find not one public listing of any kid accepting a lax scholarship to that school. Again, there are always exceptions and spots may re-open for many reasons. [lacrosse], my own kid may not get the right SAT scores.. I was not trying to scare anyone way from their dream of playing D1. Someone asked a question and I gave a response based on my experience/opinion.. Aside from the [lacrosse] about whose club is better i figure that’s what these boards are about.
I find it believable that some schools not full on spots are out of money for that class as you wrote. Quite possible that some coaches pour 3 scholarship equivalents into the fist 5-6 kids in a class. That leaves no money, but does leave another 5-8 spots for that recruiting class. Just me asking, but is there a reason to be concerned or paranoid if your son is committed but you are making more visits and entertaining more offers? I get it that coaches may not care and recruit committed kids, but is there a danger that the program you have committed to hears about that being shopped afterwards? Maybe not because it likely happens a lot anyways but wondering
I find it believable that some schools not full on spots are out of money for that class as you wrote. Quite possible that some coaches pour 3 scholarship equivalents into the fist 5-6 kids in a class. That leaves no money, but does leave another 5-8 spots for that recruiting class. Just me asking, but is there a reason to be concerned or paranoid if your son is committed but you are making more visits and entertaining more offers? I get it that coaches may not care and recruit committed kids, but is there a danger that the program you have committed to hears about that being shopped afterwards? Maybe not because it likely happens a lot anyways but wondering

I haven’t nor would I consider shopping around after commitment

We are in the same boat, BUT is it worrisome to anyone with a young commit that 2.5 years is a LONG time and your kid is off the market so to speak without any guarantees? Coaches move positions, teams find they need strength in a different area if earlier class commits don't pan out or get injured. This system is broken, both coaches and kids are under pressure to make decisions at very early stages.

My kid isn't shopping, and neither are we, but this whole thing makes me a bit nervous, and I will bet lots of the coaches are entering into it with some trepidation. I have seen star 14 year olds end up just okay and seen (typically late puberty) kids overtake those kids by senior year. Certainly some of the stud 14 year olds only get better, but I would put it at 50/50.

Smart. But do you think it happens a lot? Based on my experience, no. We'd just say he's committed to the process at XYZ and leave be alone i it happened. I do know of a few lacrosse dads who talk openly about their deal, and are not necessarily shopping it but are all ears and listening if someone contacts. That seems pretty sleazy, and I do pray for the kids that the parents don't case the die for the kid to be in a bad spot for it later if confronted. It seems like a very toxic thing to engage, but I am aware that the coaches will keep on at least trying to recruit kids committed elsewhere.
My kid isn't shopping, and neither are we, but this whole thing makes me a bit nervous, and I will bet lots of the coaches are entering into it with some trepidation. I have seen star 14 year olds end up just okay and seen (typically late puberty) kids overtake those kids by senior year. Certainly some of the stud 14 year olds only get better, but I would put it at 50/50.
[/quote]

Thanks for the thoughtful post. The coaches control the musical chairs thing and it is not hard to get the kids and parents into a frenzy that it is all passing them by quickly. If there is a coaching change in 2 years for a 2017 kid that really wrenches it up for a kid as a senior with all other big programs full. We got some good advice to avoid one Ivy early because "this guy needs to win this year or over" and that proved out, and there is one other Ivy coach of a program that has slipped in last 5-8 years who apparently needs to win this year or he's out. Bottom line is your kid had better love the SCHOOL he is committed to over the program. I think another factor is if the growth of the game takes D1 lacrosse into some great schools in new places (Northwestern, Vandy, Texas, SMU, Rice, Stanford, etc.) then you may see a spate of kids de-committing to go to those places to play lacrosse given the power of the academics.
© US Lacrosse Community Forum