The real process was initial rosters were selected after each tryout and 25 boys were accepted to each team as a result of the tryouts. At that time boys were accepted based on the tryout they attended. These are the rosters posted in the news feed of the website.

As the event drew near and final deposit plus hotel bookings become due, drops occurred. I am sure there are plenty of reasons for the drops, but assume injury is the top cause. This created gaps on most rosters. The academy boys list on the website excludes players who dropped and includes alternates who attend the national event.

The alternate process for any all-star event is always a scramble. In most cases alternates were informed only a few days before the event. Alternate parents were required to make a decision in 24 hours to book three nights hotel, find a way to get to Maryland fighting Sunday traffic, pay an entry fee, and re-arrange 4th of July vacation plans. Many families at that point simply couldn’t go. As a result, the alternates on several teams included players who were placed from other tryouts. Several teams had 1-2 out of state players.

It is no surprise that an alternate who had a brother playing, and a parent who needed to be at the event anyhow said yes to his invitation. Based on the comments on this forum, it is unfortunate that this child was placed on LI South. This child played well at the tournament as mentioned by another poster. I am sure this child played well at the tryout he attended.

Coach Caputo is a man of great integrity. At the event he provided great mentorship and guidance to every boy he came in contact with. His postgame comments regarding the importance of respecting yourself, applying yourself academically, and being a “tough guy” by knowing when to say “no” and helping your friends do the same offered invaluable advice to each boy who heard him speak.

My son had a great time at this year’s event. I hope he is able to play in the High School version.