Originally Posted by Anonymous
Agreed. I know from experience playing and coaching. But parents know better.

Many college coaches agree. Most want their recruits playing another varsity sport in HS. My daughter is a D1 commit and a 3 sport varsity athlete. She's also on the honor roll. Time management can occasionally be challenging, but college life will be too. She's also fortunate to not have to have a part time job during the school year like I did in high school. I think her HS experiences will prepare her well.

She should get a job. That's actually a more valuable life experience than the 3rd sport... I make that statement a bit tongue in cheek, but also as a way to prompt a little thinking. What your daughter is doing might be exactly right for her. But might not be exactly right for someone else. Ultimately, this is about passion for things, and everyone is different. Just as being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing, neither is being a three-sport athlete (or two or none). Each situation is different. Everyone seems to claim to know what's best for everyone else. They don't. In my daughter's particular situation, she could be a three-sport athlete, but chooses to play only two. She is committed to a top ten lax program, but also likes to participate in theater. So she takes one season off to be in a school play each year. If she said she no longer enjoyed sport two, and wanted to do something else, that would be fine too. It's their lives and they should pursue what makes them happy. As long my kids find their passions and work hard, I'm good with it. I have a couple that play sports, and a couple that don't. I'm proud of all of them.

She does have a job - a summer job each year. And I totally agree that having a job in high school it is a very valuable lesson. She's certainly learned that spending money SHE earns is much different than spending mom's and dad's money. I do see your point though. Everyone's situation is different and being a one sport athlete isn't a bad thing - unless the child wants to play other sports and is being convinced not to because of the need to "specialize". HS years go by in a flash - some of the best memories are made in after school activities whether it sports, theatre, clubs, etc.

Well.....my daughter is gender fluid and playing with the HS boys football and lacrosse teams. She is a multisport, multi-gender player and this will make her tougher when she plays against the girls in college. I got it ALL covered