Originally Posted by Anonymous
I am hearing two things being said here about coaches and effort.

1. Coaches: their job is to Coach and do the best they can to win!!!! Yes they need to be a good example and help mould the young men they coach. Yet I believe too many parents put the responsibility of raising their kids on other people. If a kid who plays lacrosse does something wrong it's not the coaches fault it's bad parenting. Yes I said it. Kids do make bad decisions but to blame coaches for everything a kid does while in season is ridiculous and simply just passing the buck. Parents take responsibility for your kids. Being a coach is a thankless job and really a no win situation in this day and age with all these helicopter parents. Who in their right mind would want to subject themselves to the lunatics that peruse the sidelines of high school games waiting for a coach to be human and make a mistake. That's what it has come down to.

2. Effort: working your tail off always doesn't mean you are going to be good. Parents are always on here saying how hard their kid works and he deserves to play. Well again I am sorry to point out that's not the case. There also needs to be some talent and athletic ability with work ethic for a kid to be good. The problem is too many parents have been duped by club coaches to believe their kid is better than they actually are. As a result they pay for private training and expect their kid to start because they start on their club team. That's pay to play. This is true for the watered down club team world we now live in. If your kid isn't better than the kid starting it's ok. It's life. If their work effort is there it will translate over to the classroom and the workforce. Just please don't say because they work hard they should start, it's not real world. The better kid starts plain and simple.

Well said and spot on.

More like gibberish.

What is gibberish about it. Because you and your kid can't handle the truth.