Watch TDSports Live Stream Today: Comsewogue vs ESM Girls' Lacrosse at 2:00pm & St Anthony's vs Sacred Heart at 6:00pm! Go-to Forums-BOTC Main Forum-HS Games Live Stream | TDSports. Enjoy!
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2028-6th Grade Fall 2021/Summer 2022
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 06:02 PM
Girls High School
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 05:44 PM
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 05:06 PM
Boys 2027 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 05:00 PM
Girls 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 05/17/22 03:37 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,071
Posts334,723
Members2,434
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 490 of 511 1 2 488 489 490 491 492 510 511
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #353474 10/19/21 11:37 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
We took 4 official visits, 3 of which required flights. The college picked up all travel costs for my daughter, including flights; our (parents) flights we had to pay for ourselves; college paid for hotel. Most meals were covered (we did go out on our own one night at our own cost, our choice to check out a particular restaurant). Based on the other experiences of parents of other girls on our club it has been pretty similar...the variable seems to be cost of meals....some are covered some are not...seems to be case by case....also, as above wrtier indicated, offers were made during the face to face meeting....on two occasions head coach met with each of the girls and their families privately (about 7 or 8 girls)....on the other two the coach met with about 4 of the 10 girls on the visit (although not sure if all 10 were on an official visit). Another thing to keep in mind (again, as previously posted but to confirm) it is not unusual for coaches to contact players when they are on an official visit with another school.....

If you are on a visit with other players/families - the girls they are most serious about may be the only ones to get a meeting with the Head Coach. We were on a visit with 7 total players and only 2 met with head coach (including my daughter), everyone else with assistants. Only those who met with head got offers which all happened right after the visit by phone. Not sure of their psychology there. But, probably want to meet to discuss how the meetings went? The coaches had a long list of questions they asked.

what kind of questions do they ask? did your daughter have a list of questions that she asked? curious how this all works (I have a 2024)

It varies by coach/school. Some very basic and others more tricky. Things she was asked at visits have included:

What do you look for in a teammate? And inversely she was asked what do you NOT want in teammates?
What character role do you play on a team?
What's the #1 reason our school appeals to you?
How would you respond to being played in a different position?
What techniques do you use to balance academics and lacrosse?
What's your biggest impact on your current teams?
What would you change about your high school team?
What are your goals for your college lacrosse career?
How did COVID affect your lacrosse life? Did you learn anything from it?
How do you manage failure?

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #353550 10/19/21 10:57 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
We took 4 official visits, 3 of which required flights. The college picked up all travel costs for my daughter, including flights; our (parents) flights we had to pay for ourselves; college paid for hotel. Most meals were covered (we did go out on our own one night at our own cost, our choice to check out a particular restaurant). Based on the other experiences of parents of other girls on our club it has been pretty similar...the variable seems to be cost of meals....some are covered some are not...seems to be case by case....also, as above wrtier indicated, offers were made during the face to face meeting....on two occasions head coach met with each of the girls and their families privately (about 7 or 8 girls)....on the other two the coach met with about 4 of the 10 girls on the visit (although not sure if all 10 were on an official visit). Another thing to keep in mind (again, as previously posted but to confirm) it is not unusual for coaches to contact players when they are on an official visit with another school.....

If you are on a visit with other players/families - the girls they are most serious about may be the only ones to get a meeting with the Head Coach. We were on a visit with 7 total players and only 2 met with head coach (including my daughter), everyone else with assistants. Only those who met with head got offers which all happened right after the visit by phone. Not sure of their psychology there. But, probably want to meet to discuss how the meetings went? The coaches had a long list of questions they asked.

what kind of questions do they ask? did your daughter have a list of questions that she asked? curious how this all works (I have a 2024)

It varies by coach/school. Some very basic and others more tricky. Things she was asked at visits have included:

What do you look for in a teammate? And inversely she was asked what do you NOT want in teammates?
What character role do you play on a team?
What's the #1 reason our school appeals to you?
How would you respond to being played in a different position?
What techniques do you use to balance academics and lacrosse?
What's your biggest impact on your current teams?
What would you change about your high school team?
What are your goals for your college lacrosse career?
How did COVID affect your lacrosse life? Did you learn anything from it?
How do you manage failure?

That’s great! Thank you for that! For the people who’s daughters yet to go through this … this was very helpful. smile

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #353665 10/20/21 05:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What’s with this Team USA Brodgen cup? All of the games were blowouts, and the squads didn’t even have the top girls there. How did they pick these teams, and why would anyone waste their time and money to play non competitive lacrosse?

If you made the team it was free. They had tryouts all summer. And what a dense comment. If anyone can get an opportunity to wear a USA uniform most would. It was an awesome weekend.


TG girl dominated. Best player on the team.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #353683 10/21/21 06:04 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What’s with this Team USA Brodgen cup? All of the games were blowouts, and the squads didn’t even have the top girls there. How did they pick these teams, and why would anyone waste their time and money to play non competitive lacrosse?

If you made the team it was free. They had tryouts all summer. And what a dense comment. If anyone can get an opportunity to wear a USA uniform most would. It was an awesome weekend.


TG girl dominated. Best player on the team.

Excellent defender and Captain. However the whole team played great.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C #359180 12/05/21 08:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What you look for in a college is first and foremost the academics.
Second is you have to love the coach and be on the same page.
Last is where do you see yourself fitting into the team because unlike high school you may not be the star or go to player.The team has to come first.Daddy isn’t pulling the strings anymore.
Just my opinion from a person who has gone through it twice.Both my kids played D1 lax.My son was probably better off at the D2 or D3 level.Thebfit means everything in the grand scheme of college lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #359197 12/05/21 02:23 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What you look for in a college is first and foremost the academics.
Second is you have to love the coach and be on the same page.
Last is where do you see yourself fitting into the team because unlike high school you may not be the star or go to player.The team has to come first.Daddy isn’t pulling the strings anymore.
Just my opinion from a person who has gone through it twice.Both my kids played D1 lax.My son was probably better off at the D2 or D3 level.Thebfit means everything in the grand scheme of college lacrosse.

I wouldn’t put the coach up there as a priority simply because there are coaching changes all the time.

Where you see yourself fitting in to the team is also a big question mark considering the fact that the “team” will be different every year. Freshmen coming in, transfers coming in, transfers going out, injuries, players deciding to stop playing etc…

Not sure how many daddies are pulling the strings in HS.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #359266 12/06/21 11:58 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
What you look for in a college is first and foremost the academics.
Second is you have to love the coach and be on the same page.
Last is where do you see yourself fitting into the team because unlike high school you may not be the star or go to player.The team has to come first.Daddy isn’t pulling the strings anymore.
Just my opinion from a person who has gone through it twice.Both my kids played D1 lax.My son was probably better off at the D2 or D3 level.Thebfit means everything in the grand scheme of college lacrosse.

I wouldn’t put the coach up there as a priority simply because there are coaching changes all the time.

Where you see yourself fitting in to the team is also a big question mark considering the fact that the “team” will be different every year. Freshmen coming in, transfers coming in, transfers going out, injuries, players deciding to stop playing etc…

Not sure how many daddies are pulling the strings in HS.

So, you are saying it’s probably best to look at a school choice based on what you will be getting out of it academically!? Hmmmm! And, Lacrosse should be the door opener to a higher academic rated school, maybe the kid wouldn’t have had opportunity to attend otherwise? Makes perfect sense!

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C #359345 12/06/21 07:30 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes school and your career path academically first then to choose your school based on lacrosse program or conference or record.
Seen to many talented players either drop out or get a liberal arts degree in no particular field of endeavor.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #359356 12/06/21 09:36 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes school and your career path academically first then to choose your school based on lacrosse program or conference or record.
Seen to many talented players either drop out or get a liberal arts degree in no particular field of endeavor.

I have seen many who have done very well with a Liberal Arts Degree, especially when it is from a good school.

I haven seen too many especially the ones that go to the better schools/programs drop out.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #359372 12/07/21 08:42 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes school and your career path academically first then to choose your school based on lacrosse program or conference or record.
Seen to many talented players either drop out or get a liberal arts degree in no particular field of endeavor.

I have seen many who have done very well with a Liberal Arts Degree, especially when it is from a good school.

I haven seen too many especially the ones that go to the better schools/programs drop out.

The point of attending college is to better your life. It is to make more money over the course of your lifetime and have a life experience that is worthwhile. An Ivy League/most selective degree will open up more doors for you than a no-name college will. Point blank. Ivies are better colleges because they have greater resources. Kids that attend most selective colleges do not earn more money over the course of their lifetimes because they went to great schools. They earn more money because they’re smart, capable, well-connected, and used these schools to maximize their opportunities.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C #359374 12/07/21 08:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice to see an intelligent conversation here.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #359381 12/07/21 09:26 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Nice to see an intelligent conversation here.

Perhaps an Ivy graduate!?

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #359396 12/07/21 10:53 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yes school and your career path academically first then to choose your school based on lacrosse program or conference or record.
Seen to many talented players either drop out or get a liberal arts degree in no particular field of endeavor.

I don't think too many people pick a school based primarily on the lacrosse program or the conference or the record. Most use lacrosse to help get into a school that is the best overall fit. Most take into account academics, overall college experience, cost, location, lacrosse etc... very few prioritize lacrosse.

I assume when you say "drop out" you are saying they stop playing lacrosse and not that they "drop out" of school. I do not think that there are too many players that stop playing and I would like to believe that very few drop out of school all together. As far as pursuing a degree "in no particular field of endeavor" such as a "Liberal Arts Degree" to each her own, some of the most successful people I know graduated with some form of Liberal Arts Degree.

One of unique and great things about women's lacrosse is all of the opportunity it provides for young women.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C #359451 12/07/21 03:41 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So You would say pick the school on the lax program or coach who may not be there when you get there.Not sure what your criteria would be.I did not mean any disrespect to liberal arts degree but most who graduate with them are undecided and are starting from scratch when they graduate.Of course a liberal arts degree from a prestigious university means more but I was talking on average not the Genious who can graduate with any degree an do great.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #359459 12/07/21 05:16 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
So You would say pick the school on the lax program or coach who may not be there when you get there.Not sure what your criteria would be.I did not mean any disrespect to liberal arts degree but most who graduate with them are undecided and are starting from scratch when they graduate.Of course a liberal arts degree from a prestigious university means more but I was talking on average not the Genious who can graduate with any degree an do great.

What post are you responding to?

Like Reply Quote
Page 490 of 511 1 2 488 489 490 491 492 510 511
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard







Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4