BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted!! PWant FILLED REGISTRATIONS, REAL SOCIAL MEDIA FOLLOWERS for you? Contact us! | Be Part of Our Intriguing Newsletter List and Our Elite Community: Influence & Network with U.S. based Laxers!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
MD Girls 2028
by Anonymous -
Girls High School Lax
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts384,882
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 213 1 2 3 212 213
Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C Offline OP
Back of THE CAGE
OP Offline
Back of THE CAGE
It's the start of a new season. Use this thread for your posts regarding this age group

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Does anyone the changes in Nassau County "B" and "C" for 2017.
What teams moved up or down ?
Does the power conference still exist ?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not sure this is the correct place but congrats to the girls in all the age groups recognized by Inside Lacrosse as being some of the top players in the country .Nice to see so many LI kids and a special congrats to the #1 's , nice job.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Lots of clinics and prospect days coming up here on Long Island. Should be a good gauge on how the talent on the 2019 and 20's are looking. Long Island's talent pool is dwindling and 2019 is such a weak age group all around. Will recruiting pick up for them? TG and YJ already have a few commits, is 2020 the new wave? Should be pretty interesting to see all the girls battling it out for looks. Do any of the High Schools have winter workouts?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
2019s are a weak group on long island, how do you figure?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are 2018s such a strong class? Am i missing something?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
2019s are a weak group on long island, how do you figure?

Well TG for starters commits for 2019 are lagging... should be alot more by now. What's happening there?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Take a look at Yj 19 commits and then get back to us.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Not everyone jumps at the first offer on the table. They're 15 relax

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I get they are 15, i was responding to the comment, the 2019s are such a weak class. That list is pretty impressive academic/lax wise, no?

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your daughter wouldn't jump at a first offer from duke,nd,bc,umd etc...?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Are 2018s such a strong class? Am i missing something?

Overall they are maybe a touch above average, but they are in the middle of two weaker than usual classes of 2017 (very weak) and 2019 (slightly weak).

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Your daughter wouldn't jump at a first offer from duke,nd,bc,umd etc...?

No actually. She has interest from top d1 programs. Unlike yourself she wants more than books and meals

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Interest? funny, everybody has interest...let us know when you get that big offer from the top d1 programs.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Oh lord, are we still doing this top ranked D1 lacrosse thing?
Just in case you didn't notice there are no big offers to play at the professional level either. So why get crazy over this stuff?
After 4 years of D1 level of play only the player will care where they played.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Maybe the employer would care.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid is playing at a d2 school. Yes. Oh my god. D2. She wants to be a nurse. Got an outstanding offer for both lax and academics. She's happy I'm happy. Case closed. Keep beating your chests you morons

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
That's awesome, congrats

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D2 here as well, very generous athletic/academic money and we get to see every game as they will all be played within 4 hours of our area. Excellent new program and vibrant, safe campus. Had D1 offers but rosters were huge and some of the colleges were very run down. Listen to your child! It may not be what YOU want but YOU don't have the same instinct your child does, trust in what you raised. I know several girls from club ball who barely played in high school or club but psycho Dads were obsessed with saying the kind d is "playing D1" but what they don't mention is its a flight or 8 hour drive away- for a 10% scholarship.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid turned down princeton because it would have been too long a drive for us. Pls let us know what D1 school offers you turned down, because of roster size. thanks

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
D2 here as well, very generous athletic/academic money and we get to see every game as they will all be played within 4 hours of our area. Excellent new program and vibrant, safe campus. Had D1 offers but rosters were huge and some of the colleges were very run down. Listen to your child! It may not be what YOU want but YOU don't have the same instinct your child does, trust in what you raised. I know several girls from club ball who barely played in high school or club but psycho Dads were obsessed with saying the kind d is "playing D1" but what they don't mention is its a flight or 8 hour drive away- for a 10% scholarship.

I love this post!! 9 times out of 10 it's the parents bragging rights that get in the way. Some very nice d2 schools out there

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My kid turned down princeton because it would have been too long a drive for us. Pls let us know what D1 school offers you turned down, because of roster size. thanks

That's got to be one of the dumbest things that I ever heard

Like Reply Quote
Back of THE CAGE
Back of THE CAGE

Are you unable to read the sarcasm?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game

Thank you

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by America's Game

Thank you

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are, the bird is going to S#!$ on the board and strut around like it won anyway.

I feel your pain. And we shall wait together to find out what great D1 schools were turned down for these amazing D2 opportunities. That plane ride to Stanford or Northwestern is soooo overrated.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're missing the point. Committing to a D1 school and never seeing the field isn't for everyone. If the education, playing time, money and comfort is there in. D2 school for an athlete it's a wonderful thing. Travel is a consideration for some folks who don't have the money to fly to games and stay in hotels. Many families have other school age children, maybe one income homes or have disabled spouse or special needs kids that can't travel. So yea, sometimes D2 schools are a better fit, No sarcasm here, enjoy watching your child play wherever they decide because life throws you curveballs every now and then and you never know how long you have left. Peace.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You're missing the point. Committing to a D1 school and never seeing the field isn't for everyone. If the education, playing time, money and comfort is there in. D2 school for an athlete it's a wonderful thing. Travel is a consideration for some folks who don't have the money to fly to games and stay in hotels. Many families have other school age children, maybe one income homes or have disabled spouse or special needs kids that can't travel. So yea, sometimes D2 schools are a better fit, No sarcasm here, enjoy watching your child play wherever they decide because life throws you curveballs every now and then and you never know how long you have left. Peace.

This post is spot on! The people who post sarcastic comments are so ignorant. I for one am a small
Business owner with 4 kids under 16. My sophomore just commited to an excellent academic d2 school within a 3 hr drive of my home. That's what worked for us. She had 2 offers from good d1 lax schools. But they were not as good once you factored in the travel time expenses and th possibility of. Not playing as much.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I love this post!! 9 times out of 10 it's the parents bragging rights that get in the way. Some very nice d2 schools out there

100% agree. Some parents would rather their kids play at the 110th D1 school which plays absolutely awful lacrosse just to say they play D1. Bad academics and bad lacrosse but it is D1!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Glad to see more realistic conversation about low D1 and D2's instead of every person on here talking about how lacrosse is getting their kid into NC or an IVY

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This post is spot on! The people who post sarcastic comments are so ignorant. I for one am a small
Business owner with 4 kids under 16. My sophomore just commited to an excellent academic d2 school within a 3 hr drive of my home. That's what worked for us. She had 2 offers from good d1 lax schools. But they were not as good once you factored in the travel time expenses and th possibility of. Not playing as much.

Its just my opinion, but i would sacrifice me being able to see my kid play live, for her to be at a better school. We've heard on the forum alot about kids having good d1 offers, curious to hear which schools. I do agree with going to a D2 school instead of a D1 school and not getting on the field. With that said its none of my business or anyone else what decisions people make.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Its just my opinion, but i would sacrifice me being able to see my kid play live, for her to be at a better school. We've heard on the forum alot about kids having good d1 offers, curious to hear which schools. I do agree with going to a D2 school instead of a D1 school and not getting on the field. With that said its none of my business or anyone else what decisions people make.

Everyone should make whatever decisions are best for them of course. There is just so much misinformation floating around on here though that sometimes it seems like it's difficult to really know the tradeoffs you are making. Financially, academically etc. Not just for the short run, but for the long run. For instance, if it's a 10k a year difference, but a much better academic institution, seems like it might be worth it to take a student loan for the difference etc. Or the guy that says u need 100 GPA to get into an Ivy, which is wrong. And I know a kid going to G-town w a 2.9 GPA and one to BC w similar. So what are the grades a kid actually needs to get into certain schools. Whether it's D1, D2 or D3. It would be great if people were willing to honestly share the tradeoffs they have made. It would help the rest of us. What D1 schools were turned down for the D2 opportunity. Who's kid made the decision to play D3? Why? What's the equivalent talent level in D1 for Courtland or Middlebury? So what are some likely choices between divisions for that level of player etc.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turned down Coastal Carolina (pretty but did not offer enough$$) LaSalle (too small and daughter did not get a good vibe from team) and Niagara (they will take anyone from LI, not competitive and way to far). Had great offers from Limestone (loved it but too far) Mercy (gorgeous new school in great college town, coach terrific) Pace (new program, bigger school and great energy) and Adelphi (not much $$ and too close lol). Decided on Pace, like the new facilities and roster size plus they offer great business program. Daughters bf going to Mercy so it's a win win for us. To everyone starting to look- visit schools while they are in session. Go to a game, watch the coach, see if you like the style of coaching. New programs offer unique opportunities, don't rule them out. No reason to insult anyone on their decisions, it's about finding the right fit with ALL factors considered. Good luck.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Everyone should make whatever decisions are best for them of course. There is just so much misinformation floating around on here though that sometimes it seems like it's difficult to really know the tradeoffs you are making. Financially, academically etc. Not just for the short run, but for the long run. For instance, if it's a 10k a year difference, but a much better academic institution, seems like it might be worth it to take a student loan for the difference etc. Or the guy that says u need 100 GPA to get into an Ivy, which is wrong. And I know a kid going to G-town w a 2.9 GPA and one to BC w similar. So what are the grades a kid actually needs to get into certain schools. Whether it's D1, D2 or D3. It would be great if people were willing to honestly share the tradeoffs they have made. It would help the rest of us. What D1 schools were turned down for the D2 opportunity. Who's kid made the decision to play D3? Why? What's the equivalent talent level in D1 for Courtland or Middlebury? So what are some likely choices between divisions for that level of player etc.

Well said, i agree on all points 100%

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Turned down Coastal Carolina (pretty but did not offer enough$$) LaSalle (too small and daughter did not get a good vibe from team) and Niagara (they will take anyone from LI, not competitive and way to far). Had great offers from Limestone (loved it but too far) Mercy (gorgeous new school in great college town, coach terrific) Pace (new program, bigger school and great energy) and Adelphi (not much $$ and too close lol). Decided on Pace, like the new facilities and roster size plus they offer great business program. Daughters bf going to Mercy so it's a win win for us. To everyone starting to look- visit schools while they are in session. Go to a game, watch the coach, see if you like the style of coaching. New programs offer unique opportunities, don't rule them out. No reason to insult anyone on their decisions, it's about finding the right fit with ALL factors considered. Good luck.

THANK YOU! That is great info and helps frame some of the discussion. Best of luck to your family.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hofstra -she didn't like SSat all and no I'm not a YJ dad, Sacred Heart, didn't like school and Denver, despite decent financial offer the cost of travel to see games and get home wasn't beneficial. Decided on Caldwell. Small school, very generous and coach sincerely cares about each girl. If your kid loves the game and doesn't play she will be miserable and come home and be embarrassed. Look at stats, find out if coach plays underclass. It's s significant piece to decision.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Hofstra -she didn't like SSat all and no I'm not a YJ dad, Sacred Heart, didn't like school and Denver, despite decent financial offer the cost of travel to see games and get home wasn't beneficial. Decided on Caldwell. Small school, very generous and coach sincerely cares about each girl. If your kid loves the game and doesn't play she will be miserable and come home and be embarrassed. Look at stats, find out if coach plays underclass. It's s significant piece to decision.

Look at subbing too. IF the coach subs rarely, and always the same 2 or 3 players, then it's tough to break in to play.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This was an exact question my daughter asked several coaches about playing time as a freshman. The school she chose the coach said. Why would I only play my upperclassmen. When they graduate what am I supposed to do?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"What are the grades that a kid actually needs to get into certain schools?"

- It all depends on where the coach has the player ranked on their recruiting list. The #1 recruit on the list will not have the same requirements as the # 8.

The Ivy's work off of an "academic index" there are minimum requirements for each individual. However, the average for the recruiting class is significantly higher than the minimum therefore if a priority recruit is close to the minimum the coach will take a less qualified player if they have better grades (in order to pull the class average up).

Other Highly Competitive Schools such as Duke, Georgetown, BC, ND etc... have what are known as "Slots". The coach has the ability to get a certain number of players into the school. In general, those students must have very good grades but the requirements are less than a regular student would need to get into the school. For a recruited athlete the coach would like to see 90+ avg and a minimum of 1200 on the SAT and 27 ACT. Anything less would be cause for concern. Again, the coach will have more flexibility with their top recruits.

From what I have been told, Northwestern does not have a cap on admission slots but they follow similar guideline as to who they choose to get into the school.

Remember, the coaches want the kids to be successful both on the field and in the classroom. Coaches will only take so many chances with players who do not demonstrate that they have the ability to succeed in the classroom.

As far as scholarship dollars go, don't listen to anyone. Each individual case is different. The Top recruits at fully funded schools are offered significant $$. The #1 recruit might get 75% or more, the #5 might get 25-30% and the #9 or #10 might be offered an admission slot and no athletic scholarship.
Each case is different.

If finances and cost are your biggest concern explore all options. If your daughter is a good student and a good lacrosse player you should be able to find a school that will be able to make it work financially.

If your daughter is a great student and a great lacrosse player she can write her own ticked to any school she wants. if your daughter is great student and an ok lacrosse player she can fide a school that will give her a lot of academic $$. If your daughter is a great lacrosse player and an average student she will be just fine as well, some really good schools will give plenty of athletic $$.

Ivy's do not offer athletic scholarships. (they have very generous need based aid).

Schools like Northwestens, Georgetown, Hopkins, ND, BC also offer generous need based aid packages. (they also offer athletic scholarships)

To the best of my knowledge you can not combine Athletic $$ and Need Based Aid. You can however combine Academic $$ and Athletic $$.

If your daughter is being recruited and offered a spot at North Carolina, Maryland, Penn State and Syracuse but not being offered a lot of $$ you can drop down a notch and be offered a lot more $$. It works the same way on the Academic side. If your daughter has the grades to be recruited and offered a spot and an Ivy you can drop down a bit academically and pick up significant academic $$.

DII and DIII have different rules than DI.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

"What are the grades that a kid actually needs to get into certain schools?"

- It all depends on where the coach has the player ranked on their recruiting list. The #1 recruit on the list will not have the same requirements as the # 8.

The Ivy's work off of an "academic index" there are minimum requirements for each individual. However, the average for the recruiting class is significantly higher than the minimum therefore if a priority recruit is close to the minimum the coach will take a less qualified player if they have better grades (in order to pull the class average up).

Other Highly Competitive Schools such as Duke, Georgetown, BC, ND etc... have what are known as "Slots". The coach has the ability to get a certain number of players into the school. In general, those students must have very good grades but the requirements are less than a regular student would need to get into the school. For a recruited athlete the coach would like to see 90+ avg and a minimum of 1200 on the SAT and 27 ACT. Anything less would be cause for concern. Again, the coach will have more flexibility with their top recruits.

From what I have been told, Northwestern does not have a cap on admission slots but they follow similar guideline as to who they choose to get into the school.

Remember, the coaches want the kids to be successful both on the field and in the classroom. Coaches will only take so many chances with players who do not demonstrate that they have the ability to succeed in the classroom.

As far as scholarship dollars go, don't listen to anyone. Each individual case is different. The Top recruits at fully funded schools are offered significant $$. The #1 recruit might get 75% or more, the #5 might get 25-30% and the #9 or #10 might be offered an admission slot and no athletic scholarship.
Each case is different.

If finances and cost are your biggest concern explore all options. If your daughter is a good student and a good lacrosse player you should be able to find a school that will be able to make it work financially.

If your daughter is a great student and a great lacrosse player she can write her own ticked to any school she wants. if your daughter is great student and an ok lacrosse player she can fide a school that will give her a lot of academic $$. If your daughter is a great lacrosse player and an average student she will be just fine as well, some really good schools will give plenty of athletic $$.

Ivy's do not offer athletic scholarships. (they have very generous need based aid).

Schools like Northwestens, Georgetown, Hopkins, ND, BC also offer generous need based aid packages. (they also offer athletic scholarships)

To the best of my knowledge you can not combine Athletic $$ and Need Based Aid. You can however combine Academic $$ and Athletic $$.

If your daughter is being recruited and offered a spot at North Carolina, Maryland, Penn State and Syracuse but not being offered a lot of $$ you can drop down a notch and be offered a lot more $$. It works the same way on the Academic side. If your daughter has the grades to be recruited and offered a spot and an Ivy you can drop down a bit academically and pick up significant academic $$.

DII and DIII have different rules than DI.

Wow. Thank you. Best, most accurate post I have ever seen on here. Huge help to lots of people trying to figure out the road ahead.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you for taking your own time to add productive information. So often the crazy comments take away from sharing important views.

Like Reply Quote
Page 1 of 213 1 2 3 212 213
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard