BOTC BOTC
The UnD1sputed Showcase (Boys & Girls) in June & the Girls LI Showcase is Open for Registration on CBLaxers.com - Don't Miss Out as 88 Players Only Accepted! | Invest for Growth - ADVERTISE with us!
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY MOST RECENT POSTS
Girls High School
by Anonymous -
Boys High School
by Anonymous -
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Forum Statistics
Forums20
Topics3,802
Posts385,595
Members2,606
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 184 of 214 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 213 214
Re: Girls High School Lax
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Do schools pay all expenses for both parents to accompany their daughter on an official visit?

No, they dont.
For certain schools you can talk your way into going along all expenses paid. It happened with my in laws. Player was a goalie.

They did for my daughter.

Every situation is different. Recruits are not considered equal by coaches, programs have different budgets, not every player that a coach talks to is invited on an official visit.

My daughter took 4 official visits, the West coast teams paid her airfare, we paid for ours. They paid all other expenses for all of us. Room and food. The two east coast teams paid for everything including our gas and tolls. Obviously no airfare on the two east coast teams she visited.

That's awesome! Did your daughter receive formal offers on the visits, including scholarship amounts? Did they give her a time frame or try to sway you away from visiting other schools? Thanks for any information you can share.
Do schools pay all expenses for both parents to accompany their daughter on an official visit?

No, they dont.
For certain schools you can talk your way into going along all expenses paid. It happened with my in laws. Player was a goalie.

Every situation is different. Recruits are not considered equal by coaches, programs have different budgets, not every player that a coach talks to is invited on an official visit.

My daughter took 4 official visits, the West coast teams paid her airfare, we paid for ours. They paid all other expenses for all of us. Room and food. The two east coast teams paid for everything including our gas and tolls. Obviously no airfare on the two east coast teams she visited.

That's awesome! Did your daughter receive formal offers on the visits, including scholarship amounts? Did they give her a time frame or try to sway you away from visiting other schools? Thanks for any information you can share.

Yes she did receive offers while at each school. She also had a coach reach out while we were at another school, she increased her offer and asked us to call her at the end of our current visit. You usually get a private meeting with the Head coach on your visit. That’s when they usually offer. One of our trips there were 12 recruits there and only 4 players had the private meeting. Turns out only those 4 received offers. Every school is different though. Our 4 official visits all pretty much went the same way for us. Nobody gave her a time limit. She had around 15 calls on Sept 1. About 10 followed up that were serious. My daughter only wanted to visit four schools. But we made her contact all that contacted her to say Thank you and let them know she was not going to be visiting. My daughter ended up exactly where she always wanted to go. It was a great experience for us. It was all pre Covid also. She was a 2021

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So gross how Inside Lacrosse only writes stories promoting the Sept 1 recruiting date for boys. Time for girls to get equal treatment and not be the story hidden far down!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, they dont.

Our daughter received offers on her 4 trips. We received an itinerary when we got on campus from the coaching staff. We had appointments to meet with the Head coach. In those meetings we received her offers. No one gave us a deadline. But from what I’ve heard that’s not the case with all schools. Also not all athletes on the visits receive offers on their trip. We were at one school with 12 athletes and only 4 received offers from what we know. On one of our visits our daughter received a call from a school that we already visited and increased her offer substantially. Told our daughter to please do not commit till she speaks to her again after the visit we were on. These coaches talk. How she knew we were at another school surprised us. After her 4th official visit she took about 4 days to make her decision. She knew all along where she wanted to go, but we made her take a few days anyway. We made her call the other schools to thank them and let them know she would be committing elsewhere just to be courteous.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Did these plaques ever go out
Now that the Seniors started college, will Section XI get the plaques out for All County? Or is Tom Combs still on his power trip of being in control and allowing fall sports full steam ahead??? DON’T forget what those in charge did to our athletes!!!
Now that the Seniors started college, will Section XI get the plaques out for All County? Or is Tom Combs still on his power trip of being in control and allowing fall sports full steam ahead??? DON’T forget what those in charge did to our athletes!!!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They should have went to the school. My daughter never received hers, All County and AA. I will follow up with the athletic director.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We didn’t receive anything yet either.I can’t see how they would not have gone out yet considering how long ago it was.The soccer plaques were handed out right after season.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

No, they dont.

NCAA rules do not allow schools to pay for parents airfare. This is not a West coast thing. They will pay for everything else on an official visit.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What’s with this Team USA Brodgen cup? All of the games were blowouts, and the squads didn’t even have the top girls there. How did they pick these teams, and why would anyone waste their time and money to play non competitive lacrosse?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What’s with this Team USA Brodgen cup? All of the games were blowouts, and the squads didn’t even have the top girls there. How did they pick these teams, and why would anyone waste their time and money to play non competitive lacrosse?

If you made the team it was free. They had tryouts all summer. And what a dense comment. If anyone can get an opportunity to wear a USA uniform most would. It was an awesome weekend.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It was the coolest lacrosse experience my daughter has ever participated in....Running onto the field with USA on your uniform, meeting teammates from across the country that are now called friends. Lacrosse was just a small part, the relationships that were developed will hopefully last a lifetime. Incredible weekend.

Like Reply Quote
BOTC GIRLS BOTC BOY Sponsored Links
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It was the coolest lacrosse experience my daughter has ever participated in....Running onto the field with USA on your uniform, meeting teammates from across the country that are now called friends. Lacrosse was just a small part, the relationships that were developed will hopefully last a lifetime. Incredible weekend.

Yes. I unfortunately can't do a lot of these things due to financial limitations, and there are certainly a lot of money grab events to bash but to bash kids getting the opportunity to wear the USA uniform is just sad.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We took 4 official visits, 3 of which required flights. The college picked up all travel costs for my daughter, including flights; our (parents) flights we had to pay for ourselves; college paid for hotel. Most meals were covered (we did go out on our own one night at our own cost, our choice to check out a particular restaurant). Based on the other experiences of parents of other girls on our club it has been pretty similar...the variable seems to be cost of meals....some are covered some are not...seems to be case by case....also, as above wrtier indicated, offers were made during the face to face meeting....on two occasions head coach met with each of the girls and their families privately (about 7 or 8 girls)....on the other two the coach met with about 4 of the 10 girls on the visit (although not sure if all 10 were on an official visit). Another thing to keep in mind (again, as previously posted but to confirm) it is not unusual for coaches to contact players when they are on an official visit with another school.....

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
We took 4 official visits, 3 of which required flights. The college picked up all travel costs for my daughter, including flights; our (parents) flights we had to pay for ourselves; college paid for hotel. Most meals were covered (we did go out on our own one night at our own cost, our choice to check out a particular restaurant). Based on the other experiences of parents of other girls on our club it has been pretty similar...the variable seems to be cost of meals....some are covered some are not...seems to be case by case....also, as above wrtier indicated, offers were made during the face to face meeting....on two occasions head coach met with each of the girls and their families privately (about 7 or 8 girls)....on the other two the coach met with about 4 of the 10 girls on the visit (although not sure if all 10 were on an official visit). Another thing to keep in mind (again, as previously posted but to confirm) it is not unusual for coaches to contact players when they are on an official visit with another school.....

If you are on a visit with other players/families - the girls they are most serious about may be the only ones to get a meeting with the Head Coach. We were on a visit with 7 total players and only 2 met with head coach (including my daughter), everyone else with assistants. Only those who met with head got offers which all happened right after the visit by phone. Not sure of their psychology there. But, probably want to meet to discuss how the meetings went? The coaches had a long list of questions they asked.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

They should have went to the school. My daughter never received hers, All County and AA. I will follow up with the athletic director.
Our daughter, Sect 8, got a wood beautiful plaque for soccer. We just received our award for lacrosse, a printed certificate. Really? I guess they're both made of wood, lol.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you are on a visit with other players/families - the girls they are most serious about may be the only ones to get a meeting with the Head Coach. We were on a visit with 7 total players and only 2 met with head coach (including my daughter), everyone else with assistants. Only those who met with head got offers which all happened right after the visit by phone. Not sure of their psychology there. But, probably want to meet to discuss how the meetings went? The coaches had a long list of questions they asked.

what kind of questions do they ask? did your daughter have a list of questions that she asked? curious how this all works (I have a 2024)

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

what kind of questions do they ask? did your daughter have a list of questions that she asked? curious how this all works (I have a 2024)

It varies by coach/school. Some very basic and others more tricky. Things she was asked at visits have included:

What do you look for in a teammate? And inversely she was asked what do you NOT want in teammates?
What character role do you play on a team?
What's the #1 reason our school appeals to you?
How would you respond to being played in a different position?
What techniques do you use to balance academics and lacrosse?
What's your biggest impact on your current teams?
What would you change about your high school team?
What are your goals for your college lacrosse career?
How did COVID affect your lacrosse life? Did you learn anything from it?
How do you manage failure?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It varies by coach/school. Some very basic and others more tricky. Things she was asked at visits have included:

What do you look for in a teammate? And inversely she was asked what do you NOT want in teammates?
What character role do you play on a team?
What's the #1 reason our school appeals to you?
How would you respond to being played in a different position?
What techniques do you use to balance academics and lacrosse?
What's your biggest impact on your current teams?
What would you change about your high school team?
What are your goals for your college lacrosse career?
How did COVID affect your lacrosse life? Did you learn anything from it?
How do you manage failure?

That’s great! Thank you for that! For the people who’s daughters yet to go through this … this was very helpful. smile

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you made the team it was free. They had tryouts all summer. And what a dense comment. If anyone can get an opportunity to wear a USA uniform most would. It was an awesome weekend.

TG girl dominated. Best player on the team.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

TG girl dominated. Best player on the team.

Excellent defender and Captain. However the whole team played great.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
What you look for in a college is first and foremost the academics.
Second is you have to love the coach and be on the same page.
Last is where do you see yourself fitting into the team because unlike high school you may not be the star or go to player.The team has to come first.Daddy isn’t pulling the strings anymore.
Just my opinion from a person who has gone through it twice.Both my kids played D1 lax.My son was probably better off at the D2 or D3 level.Thebfit means everything in the grand scheme of college lacrosse.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Last is where do you see yourself fitting into the team because unlike high school you may not be the star or go to player.The team has to come first.Daddy isn’t pulling the strings anymore.
Just my opinion from a person who has gone through it twice.Both my kids played D1 lax.My son was probably better off at the D2 or D3 level.Thebfit means everything in the grand scheme of college lacrosse.

I wouldn’t put the coach up there as a priority simply because there are coaching changes all the time.

Where you see yourself fitting in to the team is also a big question mark considering the fact that the “team” will be different every year. Freshmen coming in, transfers coming in, transfers going out, injuries, players deciding to stop playing etc…

Not sure how many daddies are pulling the strings in HS.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I wouldn’t put the coach up there as a priority simply because there are coaching changes all the time.

Where you see yourself fitting in to the team is also a big question mark considering the fact that the “team” will be different every year. Freshmen coming in, transfers coming in, transfers going out, injuries, players deciding to stop playing etc…

Not sure how many daddies are pulling the strings in HS.

So, you are saying it’s probably best to look at a school choice based on what you will be getting out of it academically!? Hmmmm! And, Lacrosse should be the door opener to a higher academic rated school, maybe the kid wouldn’t have had opportunity to attend otherwise? Makes perfect sense!

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes school and your career path academically first then to choose your school based on lacrosse program or conference or record.
Seen to many talented players either drop out or get a liberal arts degree in no particular field of endeavor.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Yes school and your career path academically first then to choose your school based on lacrosse program or conference or record.
Seen to many talented players either drop out or get a liberal arts degree in no particular field of endeavor.

I have seen many who have done very well with a Liberal Arts Degree, especially when it is from a good school.

I haven seen too many especially the ones that go to the better schools/programs drop out.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have seen many who have done very well with a Liberal Arts Degree, especially when it is from a good school.

I haven seen too many especially the ones that go to the better schools/programs drop out.

The point of attending college is to better your life. It is to make more money over the course of your lifetime and have a life experience that is worthwhile. An Ivy League/most selective degree will open up more doors for you than a no-name college will. Point blank. Ivies are better colleges because they have greater resources. Kids that attend most selective colleges do not earn more money over the course of their lifetimes because they went to great schools. They earn more money because they’re smart, capable, well-connected, and used these schools to maximize their opportunities.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice to see an intelligent conversation here.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Nice to see an intelligent conversation here.

Perhaps an Ivy graduate!?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I don't think too many people pick a school based primarily on the lacrosse program or the conference or the record. Most use lacrosse to help get into a school that is the best overall fit. Most take into account academics, overall college experience, cost, location, lacrosse etc... very few prioritize lacrosse.

I assume when you say "drop out" you are saying they stop playing lacrosse and not that they "drop out" of school. I do not think that there are too many players that stop playing and I would like to believe that very few drop out of school all together. As far as pursuing a degree "in no particular field of endeavor" such as a "Liberal Arts Degree" to each her own, some of the most successful people I know graduated with some form of Liberal Arts Degree.

One of unique and great things about women's lacrosse is all of the opportunity it provides for young women.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So You would say pick the school on the lax program or coach who may not be there when you get there.Not sure what your criteria would be.I did not mean any disrespect to liberal arts degree but most who graduate with them are undecided and are starting from scratch when they graduate.Of course a liberal arts degree from a prestigious university means more but I was talking on average not the Genious who can graduate with any degree an do great.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
So You would say pick the school on the lax program or coach who may not be there when you get there.Not sure what your criteria would be.I did not mean any disrespect to liberal arts degree but most who graduate with them are undecided and are starting from scratch when they graduate.Of course a liberal arts degree from a prestigious university means more but I was talking on average not the Genious who can graduate with any degree an do great.

What post are you responding to?

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Personally for me and my generation I am done with LACs, liberal arts.
I went to one and so did my siblings. I had a brother who dropped out of college to go to electronics school and he’s the most successful as a network engineer.
From what I see of LAC the only thing they excel in is Instagram. I don’t see any of these schools touting the languages or programs that F100 companies use day-to-day.
I had another relative grad from a university and went right into a F50 company b/c she had class and internship with a software used by HR in these companies.
When I get my college magazine I laugh at the efforts they try to show to keep up with other schools, and my college is considered a hot school right now.
Just giving my honest opinion, no sour grapes.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pick a college based on NOT finishing/playing 4 years of lacrosse. Do you want a degree from the school you are playing for or at you some hole in the wall C school because you could play lacrosse?

Much better walking on at a school you want to be at with an eye on a good degree and an enjoyable 4 year experience

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Pick a college based on NOT finishing/playing 4 years of lacrosse. Do you want a degree from the school you are playing for or at you some hole in the wall C school because you could play lacrosse?

Much better walking on at a school you want to be at with an eye on a good degree and an enjoyable 4 year experience

Just as lacrosse can get your kid into a great school that they never would have had a shot at otherwise, It can also keep kids out of schools they could easily get into otherwise. Too many players and parents have it in their minds that they played all these years and they are heck bent to play in college. They are willing to only consider colleges that are recruiting them, and cast all other schools aside. Not sure if that is a pride thing, but don't choose a school or settle for a school way below you academically for all the wrong reasons, college is meant to set your kid up for the rest of their lives. If it is for love of the game, play club.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Just as lacrosse can get your kid into a great school that they never would have had a shot at otherwise, It can also keep kids out of schools they could easily get into otherwise. Too many players and parents have it in their minds that they played all these years and they are heck bent to play in college. They are willing to only consider colleges that are recruiting them, and cast all other schools aside. Not sure if that is a pride thing, but don't choose a school or settle for a school way below you academically for all the wrong reasons, college is meant to set your kid up for the rest of their lives. If it is for love of the game, play club.

I have not seen many kids choose a school that is well below what their academic credentials would warrant. The ones that do most likely do it because of the merit based aid they receive.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Go where your gut tells you it’s the right fit leaning more towards your intelligence level.You’ll go further in your career investing more academically.Not saying don’t give it all to your team but the books is what pays the bills.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One other major factor nobody is mentioning is how much your going to owe at the end of this journey.Forget about the playing time for a second,depending on scholarships and aid the decision on where you go to school has to be based around how much it’s going to cost getting brainwashed by liberal,opinionated professors.I can say at least half or more of what is being tonight in college is subjective and relatively useless in life and career.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
One other major factor nobody is mentioning is how much your going to owe at the end of this journey.Forget about the playing time for a second,depending on scholarships and aid the decision on where you go to school has to be based around how much it’s going to cost getting brainwashed by liberal,opinionated professors.I can say at least half or more of what is being tonight in college is subjective and relatively useless in life and career.

Ummm, ok. You don’t have to go to college, free country. There are other paths to take for careers. You sound opinionated and perhaps brainwashed one way?. It’s good to get around people who may not think like your parents and get thoughts/opinions of your own. Hear other peoples opinions too. Instead of just being told what to think by family, And local community. Good to get out of our bubbles and hear and see other thoughts on life. Also, plenty of conservative colleges as well.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

So don’t send your kid.

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I have not seen many kids choose a school that is well below what their academic credentials would warrant. The ones that do most likely do it because of the merit based aid they receive.

HAVE YOU LOOKED AT THE COMMITMENT LIST FORM LI? LOTS OF SCHOOLS THAT WOULD NEVER E ON THE RADAR IF IT WASNT TO PLAY LAX

Like Reply Quote
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Ummm, ok. You don’t have to go to college, free country. There are other paths to take for careers. You sound opinionated and perhaps brainwashed one way?. It’s good to get around people who may not think like your parents and get thoughts/opinions of your own. Hear other peoples opinions too. Instead of just being told what to think by family, And local community. Good to get out of our bubbles and hear and see other thoughts on life. Also, plenty of conservative colleges as well.

What are the conservative colleges?

Like Reply Quote
Page 184 of 214 1 2 182 183 184 185 186 213 214
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
CAPTCHA Verification

Link Copied to Clipboard