Originally Posted by Anonymous
LI had all summer to win a tournament against MD teams. Last year too. National Champs!!! Too funny.

Since 5th grade M&D has won over 20 championships where all the top MD and LI teams attended. SW won all of them this summer. YJ won Lax for the Cure 2 years ago. That's it for LI. Ever. Have fun travelling to Virginia to play each other so that you can say you are the best in the nation. Everyone else knows better.

Also, LI started grade based lacrosse, not MD. So stop crying about the age difference that really hardly exists in girls lacrosse to begin with.

Yes, holdbacks are rampant for the boys in MD and VA but not for the girls? OK, sure. Same families but they only give their sons the advantage? You really need to come up with a better excuse than "only the boys do that" because it's not working any longer. Odd, you guys don't show up to any age based tourneys though. Send your on age 2023s to the u14s and let's see how they do. You won't, they don't give a free position every time the wind blows to Suzie flopper MD. Wimp ball.

Obviously you have no idea how private schools work in MD. The girls schools don't offer a prefirst grade that the boys school do. Why? Because the idea is that boys with Spring and Summer birthdays benefit from starting school a little later. That is where a lot of the older boys come from, not necessarily from repeating a grade. It is very, very rare for girls to repeat grades. And it is very, very rare for girls to do a prefirst year as the girls' schools don't offer it. My daughter's 2021 team has 2 girls born in the last two weeks of August 2022. Other than that, every girl is after the 9/1 school cutoff date.

Who really needs to come up with a better excuse is the LI parents as to why MD teams easily run circles around their teams. Especially considering that there are a lot of very good teams in MD that the girls are spread between. Whereas on LI, YJ is the only team that can compete with M&D, SW, Heros, Stars, etc.

No excuse the Maryland teams are great. But lets be honest about a few things
-Does Maryland have Middle School Lacrosse? I believe not, so while the Long Island Girls are playing school, Maryland girls are playing/practicing with their clubs.Huge advantage to play together. Most Long Island teams have a week or two of practices before we head off to our first tournament.
-Weather is big factor in getting the Long Island Girls on the field. Maryland spring is much earlier.
The one thing I have seen more than years prior that on any given Sunday.... Monster beat SW, Liberty beat YJ you never know. Your thumping your chest about how great you are - how many commits do you have in this grade? How many does LI have? Its not about your T-Shirt on Sunday, its about clubs making money and our daughters going to college.

Maryland does have middle school lacrosse but LI girls are allowed to play for Varsity teams which I would argue is much more advantageous to their development then playing on a middle school team of mixed abilities. However, MD has a spring club league which i agree is an absolute advantage at the beginning of the summer. Why LI does not do the same thing is beyond me.

Congrats on YJ having so many commits. All that proves is that the parents and/or YJ pushes those girls hard on the colleges. Do you honestly believe when all is said and done that YJ will have more committed girls than SW, M&D, Heros, etc?? Committing in 8th grade is only important to the parents. I had no idea what I wanted to do in 8th grade and am thankful that my daughter now has the time to really make an informed decision instead of committing because everyone else was.