Originally Posted by Anonymous
You over-emoting people crack me up.

Fellas, if you have some gripes against early recruiting in general I get it. However, let's have a reality check for a moment. The 8th-9th grader that "commits" to play lacrosse at USNA is not signing a legal document that results in her foregoing her high school career and immediately being transferred to a submarine. So, you can get your collective shorts out of the knots they have formed and calm down a little.

What a kid is doing is "committing" to the application process to the USNA. She can change her mind an hour later. She can change her mind a year later. She can change her mind as a junior in high school. She can change her mind as a senior in high school. And, as pointed out above, she can change her mind in terms of "committing" to Naval service all the way up until the end of her second year in college.

Bottom line is this: She will have exactly ZERO ("0") obligation to serve until the end of her 2nd year of college when she will sign a commitment to serve 5 years upon graduation. Up until then, there is no commitment. Not even to lacrosse, which she can quit at any time and will not lose her scholarship for doing so because there are no scholarships.

Just like at other schools, as the girls get older they can and do change their minds. Or, maybe they do not even pass the admissions board. Or, maybe they fail a physical exam. The point is, as a parent, your daughter is really only "committing" to working hard on her grades, test scores, and lacrosse, and staying out of trouble. Those are goals that will serve her well regardless of where she ends up going to college.

Again, if you have concerns about early recruiting in general, I hear ya. However, to be clear about the main point, the 8th or 9th graders are locked into nothing. They can, do, and will frequently change their minds and there will be exactly zero consequences for doing so.

Such a weak response. You make it sound as if the verbal commitment has zero meaning; if that is the case why bother giving your verbal commitment. As far as motivation , not being committed but wanting to be is more motivating especially on the lacrosse end.
Your response also shows a lack of character which is the exact opposite of what the Naval Academy is all about. You are giving your word and should be expected to follow thru on it. You act as if your actions have no negative impact if you decide last minute to bail on your verbal. It has an impact on the coaches ,your future teammates ,her sister in this case, and in the end you may have taken a spot of someone who intended to actually stand behind their commitment.
All of your arguments that she can just renege on her word anytime she wants is great argument for waiting to commit until they are old enough to actually know if that is the life they want.
Honestly I see it more and more people giving verbals as a fall back position till they find something better ,seems like a character trait I would not encourage in my kids.
Still waiting on the reason committing in this case as a 12 -13 y.o, was done other than ego, the argument that she can get out of the deal is not exactly a compelling reason.

LOL, you are a mess. Nobody is promoting making a verbal commitment and then reneging. But, somebody had to counter the ludicrous point that somehow the 14 year old was going to be shipped off to basic training. And if you consult with the coaches and the Academy you will learn how they feel about it, which in a nutshell is this: We recognize people change (especially young people) and we respect that and we do not want somebody here that does not want to be here.

The coaches know girls will change their mind, just like the superintendent does, and they get a lot less flustered by it than "Anonymous" on BOTC does.

Of course, being "outraged" is in vogue now, so have at it.

I think everybody else, other than the willfully ignorant get the point.

As for the explanation you are seeking, since you have nothing to do with it, and it does not involve your child, my guess is you will get the explanation you are entitled to which is this:

Nothing. No explanation. Buzz off.

Thanks dad now go take some of moms meds. The no explanation is because there is no reasonable explanation other than you are an egomaniacal important dad living thru his child. Actually the new vogue is your word and commitment means nothing just like you are advocating. Its interesting that you say a 14 year old when the 8th grader should be 12 or at most 13. Time to take your meds crazy dad.

My 13 year old is in 9th grade.