Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Minimum pay? Uh, you really do not know what you are talking about. When they graduate they immediately make over fifty thousand. And it goes up pretty quickly after that. Do some research before you make misleading comments.

I don't need to do research. In case you couldn't tell by me saying that I am ex-Navy, I am an Academy graduate. I served 6 years as an officer on a ballistic missle submarine. If you wan't me to break down the hours that we worked under the conditions we worked in for the $52k I made I would be happy to have that conversation with you. The academy is a great place and does prepare you for life......But, it is also not your typical college experience and your service time is not going to be a cake walk. She's a lacrosse player, not David Robinson. I think people's points are, and mine included, is that choosing to attend a service academy in 8th grade is a very BIG DECISION and I doubt she necessarily knows what she is getting into. And, there is no reason to commit to a service academy in 8th grade. Look around. Find out what your options are. Grow up a little and maybe learn a little more about yourself and what you are looking for out of college. The decision could have been made a year from now if not more. It's all about the rush to say I'm committed and it doesn't benefit the player of the school really. There will be a very high rate of washout from the academies if they continue down this road.

Just wishing to thank you for your service. My son is on a fast attack sub and currently underway. I have great respect for you subs and you are correct, the hours worked make the pay pale in comparison to civilian life. I have been in the military all of my life and to make that decision in 8th grade is insane.