Get it on Google Play
Get it on App Store
Get it on Google Play Get it on App Store
BACK OF THE CAGE
MOST RECENT POSTS
Boys 2024-9th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 11/24/20 06:18 PM
Boys 2026 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 11/24/20 06:07 PM
Girls 2023 Grads - Mid Atlantic Region
by Anonymous - 11/24/20 04:38 PM
Girls 2025-8th Grade Fall 2020/Summer 2021
by Anonymous - 11/24/20 04:29 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums19
Topics2,143
Posts277,577
Members2,224
Most Online62,980
Feb 6th, 2020
SUBSCRIBE


FOLLOW US ON TWITTER
Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 389 of 423 1 2 387 388 389 390 391 422 423
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299402 02/19/20 08:11 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
As Predicted McD pre season number one HS girls lax, US lacrosse. Many others a surprise? Any dark horses?


I heard that only 14 of the 60 that tried out were able to pass the fitness test (Man U)

Like Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

Re: Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C #299405 02/19/20 10:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Really

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299427 02/20/20 10:46 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
UA 150 Worth it? or is it just another one of those money makers....

It lost its luster starting a couple of years ago. If you really want bang for your $$$ attend the prospect days or clinics of the schools your daughter may have interest in.

I agree. It's a complete money grab. We attended last year and it was a complete waste of money and time. . Hardly any coaches were there and some of the girls that attended were definitely not top 150 in their class. I know of better players who weren't offered an invitation. This is run by CR and there is definitely major politics involved. College coaches see through this and probably the reason why not many attend anymore. Your money is better spent attending clinics/camps at the specific schools your daughter is interested in.


If you notice very few M&D Black girls attend which should say something considering it's run by CR. Stopped being useful when the recruiting calendar changed. When it was held in the winter it was very good.



Was every kid that wasn't asked waitlisted? Seems that everyone I asked was waitlisted ....some are really good players? Not sure what the criteria was? Doesn't seem right?


From the girls I've heard that were sent invitations and the ones who were "waitlisted"'something seems very fishy. Either their coaches weren't truthful when scoring their girls in order to make their programs look good or there are some serious politics involved. The fact that so many applied makes some of the selections even more suspect. . Either way it totally discredits the event and the college coaches should be asking for refunds. Not a true representation of the top players. Everyone's time is better spent elsewhere.


This is my take on this. My oldest went last year and my youngest will go this year. It isn't the UA but if you want to get in a good judge on how your daughter stacks up to above average players than it is good. It's better than most of these camps that are a complete waste of time that are full of girls that don't have a chance to play div 1 or college lacrosse. If you think your going to get recruited off of going to UA 150 than it is probably not for you. Want to get a couple days of playing against some good talent than it is worthwhile.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C #299434 02/20/20 12:32 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
There were 2 M&D Blk girls on EACH team at the UA 150 last year (22's)...not sure what you are looking at

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C #299438 02/20/20 01:33 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My 2022 was selected for UA150 & also participated last year. Sadly these comments aren't too surprising as lax parents are often salty when their child isn't the "chosen" one. The number of participants has increased substantially because players are talking about what an amazing experience it is. Its amusing but expected to hear folks call it a money grab. It is free to apply & if you're lucky enough to be selected you then pay entry fee which IMO is worth every cent. Although the swag bag is worth the entry fee alone (including a new stick) that is secondary to the exposure girls get to coaches as well as meeting/competing against talented peers from across the country. It speaks volumes of a player's ability when she is able to adapt quickly (or not) to unfamiliar players & coaching styles. The 2019 roster is public & its refreshing to see multiple club teams mentioned not just the familiar power house. Your comment about few M&D players is misleading there are quite a few although, for whatever reason, too many of you see them as the litmus test. In addition, the 2020 coaches is public and many are highly competitive programs and respected academic institutions. Sour grapes to frown upon 2019 attendees as not quality. To suggest the younger girls don't get "noticed" is inaccurate and obnoxious. My 2022 had a handful of coaches from UA150 seek her out this year at President's Cup as a result of her participation over the summer. Moreover, players get a chance to work with coaches intimately in a fast paced environment because they coaching staff changes throughout the two days. Personally, I believe coaches get a unique perspective to evaluate players when they are out of their comfort zone and have to make quick decisions when under pressure w/o the benefit of knowing teammates for years. My daughter is not "connected", neither my husband nor myself have played lacrosse much less coach and she doesn't play for M&D. She is an excellent athlete with a positive attitude and coachable so I assure you she earned roster spot. Please stop poisoning the well just because your daughter wasn't selected you're nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a fragile ego. Congratulations to the 2022/23 players that were selected its a great experience.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299447 02/20/20 04:47 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 2022 was selected for UA150 & also participated last year. Sadly these comments aren't too surprising as lax parents are often salty when their child isn't the "chosen" one. The number of participants has increased substantially because players are talking about what an amazing experience it is. Its amusing but expected to hear folks call it a money grab. It is free to apply & if you're lucky enough to be selected you then pay entry fee which IMO is worth every cent. Although the swag bag is worth the entry fee alone (including a new stick) that is secondary to the exposure girls get to coaches as well as meeting/competing against talented peers from across the country. It speaks volumes of a player's ability when she is able to adapt quickly (or not) to unfamiliar players & coaching styles. The 2019 roster is public & its refreshing to see multiple club teams mentioned not just the familiar power house. Your comment about few M&D players is misleading there are quite a few although, for whatever reason, too many of you see them as the litmus test. In addition, the 2020 coaches is public and many are highly competitive programs and respected academic institutions. Sour grapes to frown upon 2019 attendees as not quality. To suggest the younger girls don't get "noticed" is inaccurate and obnoxious. My 2022 had a handful of coaches from UA150 seek her out this year at President's Cup as a result of her participation over the summer. Moreover, players get a chance to work with coaches intimately in a fast paced environment because they coaching staff changes throughout the two days. Personally, I believe coaches get a unique perspective to evaluate players when they are out of their comfort zone and have to make quick decisions when under pressure w/o the benefit of knowing teammates for years. My daughter is not "connected", neither my husband nor myself have played lacrosse much less coach and she doesn't play for M&D. She is an excellent athlete with a positive attitude and coachable so I assure you she earned roster spot. Please stop poisoning the well just because your daughter wasn't selected you're nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a fragile ego. Congratulations to the 2022/23 players that were selected its a great experience.



Money grab. They all are.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299454 02/20/20 09:08 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 2022 was selected for UA150 & also participated last year. Sadly these comments aren't too surprising as lax parents are often salty when their child isn't the "chosen" one. The number of participants has increased substantially because players are talking about what an amazing experience it is. Its amusing but expected to hear folks call it a money grab. It is free to apply & if you're lucky enough to be selected you then pay entry fee which IMO is worth every cent. Although the swag bag is worth the entry fee alone (including a new stick) that is secondary to the exposure girls get to coaches as well as meeting/competing against talented peers from across the country. It speaks volumes of a player's ability when she is able to adapt quickly (or not) to unfamiliar players & coaching styles. The 2019 roster is public & its refreshing to see multiple club teams mentioned not just the familiar power house. Your comment about few M&D players is misleading there are quite a few although, for whatever reason, too many of you see them as the litmus test. In addition, the 2020 coaches is public and many are highly competitive programs and respected academic institutions. Sour grapes to frown upon 2019 attendees as not quality. To suggest the younger girls don't get "noticed" is inaccurate and obnoxious. My 2022 had a handful of coaches from UA150 seek her out this year at President's Cup as a result of her participation over the summer. Moreover, players get a chance to work with coaches intimately in a fast paced environment because they coaching staff changes throughout the two days. Personally, I believe coaches get a unique perspective to evaluate players when they are out of their comfort zone and have to make quick decisions when under pressure w/o the benefit of knowing teammates for years. My daughter is not "connected", neither my husband nor myself have played lacrosse much less coach and she doesn't play for M&D. She is an excellent athlete with a positive attitude and coachable so I assure you she earned roster spot. Please stop poisoning the well just because your daughter wasn't selected you're nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a fragile ego. Congratulations to the 2022/23 players that were selected its a great experience.


Glad you had a good experience, but it is a money grab. The price is ridiculously high for playing some games in front of mostly 2nd/3rd tier D1 and D2/D3 coaches. Much better off spending that money going to multiple camps at schools your daughter is interested in. No sour grapes here. My daughter is a 2021 and played in UA150 after 8th grade. Wasn't worth the money then and still isn't. There are several 2021 girls that made the UA150 all star team after 9th grade that aren't even committed. That should tell you something.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299455 02/20/20 09:12 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 2022 was selected for UA150 & also participated last year. Sadly these comments aren't too surprising as lax parents are often salty when their child isn't the "chosen" one. The number of participants has increased substantially because players are talking about what an amazing experience it is. Its amusing but expected to hear folks call it a money grab. It is free to apply & if you're lucky enough to be selected you then pay entry fee which IMO is worth every cent. Although the swag bag is worth the entry fee alone (including a new stick) that is secondary to the exposure girls get to coaches as well as meeting/competing against talented peers from across the country. It speaks volumes of a player's ability when she is able to adapt quickly (or not) to unfamiliar players & coaching styles. The 2019 roster is public & its refreshing to see multiple club teams mentioned not just the familiar power house. Your comment about few M&D players is misleading there are quite a few although, for whatever reason, too many of you see them as the litmus test. In addition, the 2020 coaches is public and many are highly competitive programs and respected academic institutions. Sour grapes to frown upon 2019 attendees as not quality. To suggest the younger girls don't get "noticed" is inaccurate and obnoxious. My 2022 had a handful of coaches from UA150 seek her out this year at President's Cup as a result of her participation over the summer. Moreover, players get a chance to work with coaches intimately in a fast paced environment because they coaching staff changes throughout the two days. Personally, I believe coaches get a unique perspective to evaluate players when they are out of their comfort zone and have to make quick decisions when under pressure w/o the benefit of knowing teammates for years. My daughter is not "connected", neither my husband nor myself have played lacrosse much less coach and she doesn't play for M&D. She is an excellent athlete with a positive attitude and coachable so I assure you she earned roster spot. Please stop poisoning the well just because your daughter wasn't selected you're nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a fragile ego. Congratulations to the 2022/23 players that were selected its a great experience.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 2022 was selected for UA150 & also participated last year. Sadly these comments aren't too surprising as lax parents are often salty when their child isn't the "chosen" one. The number of participants has increased substantially because players are talking about what an amazing experience it is. Its amusing but expected to hear folks call it a money grab. It is free to apply & if you're lucky enough to be selected you then pay entry fee which IMO is worth every cent. Although the swag bag is worth the entry fee alone (including a new stick) that is secondary to the exposure girls get to coaches as well as meeting/competing against talented peers from across the country. It speaks volumes of a player's ability when she is able to adapt quickly (or not) to unfamiliar players & coaching styles. The 2019 roster is public & its refreshing to see multiple club teams mentioned not just the familiar power house. Your comment about few M&D players is misleading there are quite a few although, for whatever reason, too many of you see them as the litmus test. In addition, the 2020 coaches is public and many are highly competitive programs and respected academic institutions. Sour grapes to frown upon 2019 attendees as not quality. To suggest the younger girls don't get "noticed" is inaccurate and obnoxious. My 2022 had a handful of coaches from UA150 seek her out this year at President's Cup as a result of her participation over the summer. Moreover, players get a chance to work with coaches intimately in a fast paced environment because they coaching staff changes throughout the two days. Personally, I believe coaches get a unique perspective to evaluate players when they are out of their comfort zone and have to make quick decisions when under pressure w/o the benefit of knowing teammates for years. My daughter is not "connected", neither my husband nor myself have played lacrosse much less coach and she doesn't play for M&D. She is an excellent athlete with a positive attitude and coachable so I assure you she earned roster spot. Please stop poisoning the well just because your daughter wasn't selected you're nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a fragile ego. Congratulations to the 2022/23 players that were selected its a great experience.


Not sure who you are specifically responding to but as someone who did give my feedback, let me respond. Someone originally asked about the value of attending the UA150 and I responded not only as a parent of a 2021 player who participated both last year and the year prior but also as a club coach for a well respected Baltimore area club (not M&D) for the past 10 years.

First of all, as a parent I didn't think it was worth it. We participated both years because my daughter wanted to - plain and simple. I don't see the value for the high price of admittance. Sure it was a fun experience but if you are looking at choices for recruiting events, your money is better spent at prospect days and clinics at the individual schools your daughter is interested in. Sure the application is free but you still have to pay to participate. And for the two days worth, it is a high price compared to college's week long camps or the UA All American Underclass Tournament (which my daughter has also participated in). There weren't that many coaches in attendance for the cost and the feedback I have received from some college coaches I personally know from my years of coaching is they don't really consider this a true top 150 list. They see it as a marketing title. The selection process is flawed and the college coaches know it. This is an application based event. And part of that application is getting a score from their coaches after the applications are submitted. This is separate from the coach's recommendation within the application. Coaches don't know who else outside of their program is applying and don't always have to be honest in their score/assessment. They can give a score of 5 (which is the highest) when actually the player is really a 3 or 4 compared to others who have applied. The coach will submit a higher score to appease a parent, club director or to make their program look better (with more attendees). It's not a true evaluation of a player compared to her peers on a field by a group of independent coaches who evaluate based on performance. And as far as your comment about seeing how girls adapt to new situations, that would be the same scenario at every camp, clinic, prospect day or showcase they would attend. This wouldn't be any different. If anything, the application process doesn't allow them to use this in their evaluation. Coaches would rather see a player at their school interacting with their entire coaching staff and team to see how they connect on the field and socially with their entire program. The reality is they will be joining an established team/family and not an entire team of new players like you are stating. My daughter has done the Under Armour Tournament and some other multi-coach recruiting events where the same coaches that attend the UA150 also attend and I believe this is a better value for the money. All are money grabs to some degree but the best value and best evaluated program by far is the UA AA Underclass Tournament. These players have been truly vetted for a day or sometimes two by a group of on field mostly independent coaches. These girls than participate in a callback game at the end of the evaluation where they are further evaluated. These are the girls who are truly the top players in their age group. It's harder for politics to play a role through this process. Many more college coaches attend this tournament and are able to watch the girls on the field vs a combine type event. You can have the fastest shot speed but if you don't have field IQ to maneuver around the best defenders and goalies in your age group than you won't be successful.

As a coach for the 2022 age group I have been very surprised to see which girls have been extended invitations and which ones were waitlisted. It doesn't coincide with who I know to be the best players in this age group. The players and coaches will know this to be true once the 2020 list is published. The evaluation process will need to be adjusted moving forward to include checks and balances if this tournament wants to truly be seen as a Top 150.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299458 02/20/20 11:52 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Thank you very much for taking the time to explain. Good luck.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C #299459 02/21/20 12:10 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Is there really a stick in the swag bag? We’ve done CR tournaments before and there wasn’t anything too swanky, just got to keep the pinnie - I’m mean who wears pinnies walking down the street? Talking about girls here, not boys.

Like Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299464 02/21/20 07:02 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 2022 was selected for UA150 & also participated last year. Sadly these comments aren't too surprising as lax parents are often salty when their child isn't the "chosen" one. The number of participants has increased substantially because players are talking about what an amazing experience it is. Its amusing but expected to hear folks call it a money grab. It is free to apply & if you're lucky enough to be selected you then pay entry fee which IMO is worth every cent. Although the swag bag is worth the entry fee alone (including a new stick) that is secondary to the exposure girls get to coaches as well as meeting/competing against talented peers from across the country. It speaks volumes of a player's ability when she is able to adapt quickly (or not) to unfamiliar players & coaching styles. The 2019 roster is public & its refreshing to see multiple club teams mentioned not just the familiar power house. Your comment about few M&D players is misleading there are quite a few although, for whatever reason, too many of you see them as the litmus test. In addition, the 2020 coaches is public and many are highly competitive programs and respected academic institutions. Sour grapes to frown upon 2019 attendees as not quality. To suggest the younger girls don't get "noticed" is inaccurate and obnoxious. My 2022 had a handful of coaches from UA150 seek her out this year at President's Cup as a result of her participation over the summer. Moreover, players get a chance to work with coaches intimately in a fast paced environment because they coaching staff changes throughout the two days. Personally, I believe coaches get a unique perspective to evaluate players when they are out of their comfort zone and have to make quick decisions when under pressure w/o the benefit of knowing teammates for years. My daughter is not "connected", neither my husband nor myself have played lacrosse much less coach and she doesn't play for M&D. She is an excellent athlete with a positive attitude and coachable so I assure you she earned roster spot. Please stop poisoning the well just because your daughter wasn't selected you're nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a fragile ego. Congratulations to the 2022/23 players that were selected its a great experience.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 2022 was selected for UA150 & also participated last year. Sadly these comments aren't too surprising as lax parents are often salty when their child isn't the "chosen" one. The number of participants has increased substantially because players are talking about what an amazing experience it is. Its amusing but expected to hear folks call it a money grab. It is free to apply & if you're lucky enough to be selected you then pay entry fee which IMO is worth every cent. Although the swag bag is worth the entry fee alone (including a new stick) that is secondary to the exposure girls get to coaches as well as meeting/competing against talented peers from across the country. It speaks volumes of a player's ability when she is able to adapt quickly (or not) to unfamiliar players & coaching styles. The 2019 roster is public & its refreshing to see multiple club teams mentioned not just the familiar power house. Your comment about few M&D players is misleading there are quite a few although, for whatever reason, too many of you see them as the litmus test. In addition, the 2020 coaches is public and many are highly competitive programs and respected academic institutions. Sour grapes to frown upon 2019 attendees as not quality. To suggest the younger girls don't get "noticed" is inaccurate and obnoxious. My 2022 had a handful of coaches from UA150 seek her out this year at President's Cup as a result of her participation over the summer. Moreover, players get a chance to work with coaches intimately in a fast paced environment because they coaching staff changes throughout the two days. Personally, I believe coaches get a unique perspective to evaluate players when they are out of their comfort zone and have to make quick decisions when under pressure w/o the benefit of knowing teammates for years. My daughter is not "connected", neither my husband nor myself have played lacrosse much less coach and she doesn't play for M&D. She is an excellent athlete with a positive attitude and coachable so I assure you she earned roster spot. Please stop poisoning the well just because your daughter wasn't selected you're nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a fragile ego. Congratulations to the 2022/23 players that were selected its a great experience.


Not sure who you are specifically responding to but as someone who did give my feedback, let me respond. Someone originally asked about the value of attending the UA150 and I responded not only as a parent of a 2021 player who participated both last year and the year prior but also as a club coach for a well respected Baltimore area club (not M&D) for the past 10 years.

First of all, as a parent I didn't think it was worth it. We participated both years because my daughter wanted to - plain and simple. I don't see the value for the high price of admittance. Sure it was a fun experience but if you are looking at choices for recruiting events, your money is better spent at prospect days and clinics at the individual schools your daughter is interested in. Sure the application is free but you still have to pay to participate. And for the two days worth, it is a high price compared to college's week long camps or the UA All American Underclass Tournament (which my daughter has also participated in). There weren't that many coaches in attendance for the cost and the feedback I have received from some college coaches I personally know from my years of coaching is they don't really consider this a true top 150 list. They see it as a marketing title. The selection process is flawed and the college coaches know it. This is an application based event. And part of that application is getting a score from their coaches after the applications are submitted. This is separate from the coach's recommendation within the application. Coaches don't know who else outside of their program is applying and don't always have to be honest in their score/assessment. They can give a score of 5 (which is the highest) when actually the player is really a 3 or 4 compared to others who have applied. The coach will submit a higher score to appease a parent, club director or to make their program look better (with more attendees). It's not a true evaluation of a player compared to her peers on a field by a group of independent coaches who evaluate based on performance. And as far as your comment about seeing how girls adapt to new situations, that would be the same scenario at every camp, clinic, prospect day or showcase they would attend. This wouldn't be any different. If anything, the application process doesn't allow them to use this in their evaluation. Coaches would rather see a player at their school interacting with their entire coaching staff and team to see how they connect on the field and socially with their entire program. The reality is they will be joining an established team/family and not an entire team of new players like you are stating. My daughter has done the Under Armour Tournament and some other multi-coach recruiting events where the same coaches that attend the UA150 also attend and I believe this is a better value for the money. All are money grabs to some degree but the best value and best evaluated program by far is the UA AA Underclass Tournament. These players have been truly vetted for a day or sometimes two by a group of on field mostly independent coaches. These girls than participate in a callback game at the end of the evaluation where they are further evaluated. These are the girls who are truly the top players in their age group. It's harder for politics to play a role through this process. Many more college coaches attend this tournament and are able to watch the girls on the field vs a combine type event. You can have the fastest shot speed but if you don't have field IQ to maneuver around the best defenders and goalies in your age group than you won't be successful.

As a coach for the 2022 age group I have been very surprised to see which girls have been extended invitations and which ones were waitlisted. It doesn't coincide with who I know to be the best players in this age group. The players and coaches will know this to be true once the 2020 list is published. The evaluation process will need to be adjusted moving forward to include checks and balances if this tournament wants to truly be seen as a Top 150.


I am not sure about the Baltimore area but the Long Island UA AA is 100% political. I know many girls who after going their first year eligible never went back. No independent coaches. While of course many chosen are deserving, it is always heavily weighted with one club while many players just as deserving from other clubs are not selected. That is politics.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299465 02/21/20 07:30 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 2022 was selected for UA150 & also participated last year. Sadly these comments aren't too surprising as lax parents are often salty when their child isn't the "chosen" one. The number of participants has increased substantially because players are talking about what an amazing experience it is. Its amusing but expected to hear folks call it a money grab. It is free to apply & if you're lucky enough to be selected you then pay entry fee which IMO is worth every cent. Although the swag bag is worth the entry fee alone (including a new stick) that is secondary to the exposure girls get to coaches as well as meeting/competing against talented peers from across the country. It speaks volumes of a player's ability when she is able to adapt quickly (or not) to unfamiliar players & coaching styles. The 2019 roster is public & its refreshing to see multiple club teams mentioned not just the familiar power house. Your comment about few M&D players is misleading there are quite a few although, for whatever reason, too many of you see them as the litmus test. In addition, the 2020 coaches is public and many are highly competitive programs and respected academic institutions. Sour grapes to frown upon 2019 attendees as not quality. To suggest the younger girls don't get "noticed" is inaccurate and obnoxious. My 2022 had a handful of coaches from UA150 seek her out this year at President's Cup as a result of her participation over the summer. Moreover, players get a chance to work with coaches intimately in a fast paced environment because they coaching staff changes throughout the two days. Personally, I believe coaches get a unique perspective to evaluate players when they are out of their comfort zone and have to make quick decisions when under pressure w/o the benefit of knowing teammates for years. My daughter is not "connected", neither my husband nor myself have played lacrosse much less coach and she doesn't play for M&D. She is an excellent athlete with a positive attitude and coachable so I assure you she earned roster spot. Please stop poisoning the well just because your daughter wasn't selected you're nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a fragile ego. Congratulations to the 2022/23 players that were selected its a great experience.

Originally Posted by Anonymous
My 2022 was selected for UA150 & also participated last year. Sadly these comments aren't too surprising as lax parents are often salty when their child isn't the "chosen" one. The number of participants has increased substantially because players are talking about what an amazing experience it is. Its amusing but expected to hear folks call it a money grab. It is free to apply & if you're lucky enough to be selected you then pay entry fee which IMO is worth every cent. Although the swag bag is worth the entry fee alone (including a new stick) that is secondary to the exposure girls get to coaches as well as meeting/competing against talented peers from across the country. It speaks volumes of a player's ability when she is able to adapt quickly (or not) to unfamiliar players & coaching styles. The 2019 roster is public & its refreshing to see multiple club teams mentioned not just the familiar power house. Your comment about few M&D players is misleading there are quite a few although, for whatever reason, too many of you see them as the litmus test. In addition, the 2020 coaches is public and many are highly competitive programs and respected academic institutions. Sour grapes to frown upon 2019 attendees as not quality. To suggest the younger girls don't get "noticed" is inaccurate and obnoxious. My 2022 had a handful of coaches from UA150 seek her out this year at President's Cup as a result of her participation over the summer. Moreover, players get a chance to work with coaches intimately in a fast paced environment because they coaching staff changes throughout the two days. Personally, I believe coaches get a unique perspective to evaluate players when they are out of their comfort zone and have to make quick decisions when under pressure w/o the benefit of knowing teammates for years. My daughter is not "connected", neither my husband nor myself have played lacrosse much less coach and she doesn't play for M&D. She is an excellent athlete with a positive attitude and coachable so I assure you she earned roster spot. Please stop poisoning the well just because your daughter wasn't selected you're nothing but a disgruntled malcontent with a fragile ego. Congratulations to the 2022/23 players that were selected its a great experience.


Not sure who you are specifically responding to but as someone who did give my feedback, let me respond. Someone originally asked about the value of attending the UA150 and I responded not only as a parent of a 2021 player who participated both last year and the year prior but also as a club coach for a well respected Baltimore area club (not M&D) for the past 10 years.

First of all, as a parent I didn't think it was worth it. We participated both years because my daughter wanted to - plain and simple. I don't see the value for the high price of admittance. Sure it was a fun experience but if you are looking at choices for recruiting events, your money is better spent at prospect days and clinics at the individual schools your daughter is interested in. Sure the application is free but you still have to pay to participate. And for the two days worth, it is a high price compared to college's week long camps or the UA All American Underclass Tournament (which my daughter has also participated in). There weren't that many coaches in attendance for the cost and the feedback I have received from some college coaches I personally know from my years of coaching is they don't really consider this a true top 150 list. They see it as a marketing title. The selection process is flawed and the college coaches know it. This is an application based event. And part of that application is getting a score from their coaches after the applications are submitted. This is separate from the coach's recommendation within the application. Coaches don't know who else outside of their program is applying and don't always have to be honest in their score/assessment. They can give a score of 5 (which is the highest) when actually the player is really a 3 or 4 compared to others who have applied. The coach will submit a higher score to appease a parent, club director or to make their program look better (with more attendees). It's not a true evaluation of a player compared to her peers on a field by a group of independent coaches who evaluate based on performance. And as far as your comment about seeing how girls adapt to new situations, that would be the same scenario at every camp, clinic, prospect day or showcase they would attend. This wouldn't be any different. If anything, the application process doesn't allow them to use this in their evaluation. Coaches would rather see a player at their school interacting with their entire coaching staff and team to see how they connect on the field and socially with their entire program. The reality is they will be joining an established team/family and not an entire team of new players like you are stating. My daughter has done the Under Armour Tournament and some other multi-coach recruiting events where the same coaches that attend the UA150 also attend and I believe this is a better value for the money. All are money grabs to some degree but the best value and best evaluated program by far is the UA AA Underclass Tournament. These players have been truly vetted for a day or sometimes two by a group of on field mostly independent coaches. These girls than participate in a callback game at the end of the evaluation where they are further evaluated. These are the girls who are truly the top players in their age group. It's harder for politics to play a role through this process. Many more college coaches attend this tournament and are able to watch the girls on the field vs a combine type event. You can have the fastest shot speed but if you don't have field IQ to maneuver around the best defenders and goalies in your age group than you won't be successful.

As a coach for the 2022 age group I have been very surprised to see which girls have been extended invitations and which ones were waitlisted. It doesn't coincide with who I know to be the best players in this age group. The players and coaches will know this to be true once the 2020 list is published. The evaluation process will need to be adjusted moving forward to include checks and balances if this tournament wants to truly be seen as a Top 150.


Thank you both, two excellent posts.

The one constant in this sport is bitter, disgruntled and delusional parents. When their daughter is not recognized they simply can not take it. I doesn't matter if it is UA 150 (which as you say is not the top 150) UA Underclass, School Girls etc... if their daughter is not selected they are bitter and try do diminish the selection process, the event and the players who were selected.

Always sour grapes. Very ugly.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299466 02/21/20 08:13 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
All are money grabs to some degree but the best value and best evaluated program by far is the UA AA Underclass Tournament. These players have been truly vetted for a day or sometimes two by a group of on field mostly independent coaches. These girls than participate in a callback game at the end of the evaluation where they are further evaluated. These are the girls who are truly the top players in their age group. It's harder for politics to play a role through this process. Many more college coaches attend this tournament and are able to watch the girls on the field vs a combine type event. You can have the fastest shot speed but if you don't have field IQ to maneuver around the best defenders and goalies in your age group than you won't be successful.

As a coach for the 2022 age group I have been very surprised to see which girls have been extended invitations and which ones were waitlisted. It doesn't coincide with who I know to be the best players in this age group. The players and coaches will know this to be true once the 2020 list is published. The evaluation process will need to be adjusted moving forward to include checks and balances if this tournament wants to truly be seen as a Top 150.
[/quote]

This seems like a case of, “To each, his own...”. On LI, the UA AA is completely run by 1 club and, if you don’t have that blue and yellow bumper sticker, good luck. The Coach of that club (Ernie’s roommate) actually went up to the table and handed his list of girls to the evaluators last year and guess which team dominated the callbacks and selections? This is the epitome of politics and connections paving the way so 1 club benefits.

The UA 150 requires a Club Coach and a HS Coach recommendation - if your Sophmore doesn’t know her HS Coach, good luck getting picked. This is a much more independent process that allows individual players to showcase their talents, not get carried through a process b/c they are part of a club that their sister played for.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
Anonymous #299471 02/21/20 09:50 AM
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 81
C
Back of THE CAGE
Online Content
Back of THE CAGE
C
Joined: Sep 2017
Posts: 81
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Is there really a stick in the swag bag? We’ve done CR tournaments before and there wasn’t anything too swanky, just got to keep the pinnie - I’m mean who wears pinnies walking down the street? Talking about girls here, not boys.


As I recall, last year the girls got a UA stick, running shoes, shorts, pinnie, long sleeve shirt.

Like Reply Quote
Re: Girls High School Lax
B_O_T_C #299480 02/21/20 10:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Originally Posted by Anonymous
All are money grabs to some degree but the best value and best evaluated program by far is the UA AA Underclass Tournament. These players have been truly vetted for a day or sometimes two by a group of on field mostly independent coaches. These girls than participate in a callback game at the end of the evaluation where they are further evaluated. These are the girls who are truly the top players in their age group. It's harder for politics to play a role through this process. Many more college coaches attend this tournament and are able to watch the girls on the field vs a combine type event. You can have the fastest shot speed but if you don't have field IQ to maneuver around the best defenders and goalies in your age group than you won't be successful.

As a coach for the 2022 age group I have been very surprised to see which girls have been extended invitations and which ones were waitlisted. It doesn't coincide with who I know to be the best players in this age group. The players and coaches will know this to be true once the 2020 list is published. The evaluation process will need to be adjusted moving forward to include checks and balances if this tournament wants to truly be seen as a Top 150.


This seems like a case of, “To each, his own...”. On LI, the UA AA is completely run by 1 club and, if you don’t have that blue and yellow bumper sticker, good luck. The Coach of that club (Ernie’s roommate) actually went up to the table and handed his list of girls to the evaluators last year and guess which team dominated the callbacks and selections? This is the epitome of politics and connections paving the way so 1 club benefits.

The UA 150 requires a Club Coach and a HS Coach recommendation - if your Sophmore doesn’t know her HS Coach, good luck getting picked. This is a much more independent process that allows individual players to showcase their talents, not get carried through a process b/c they are part of a club that their sister played for.
[/quote]
the Baltimore UA underclass is very political also. the problem is the same people keep applying to be evaluators each year so they only have so many to choose from. To many club coaches with players trying out or have daughters trying out. It's the perception that it gives off that get so many parents pissed of when their kid doesn't make the team. (I am not one of those. my daughter has been on the team the last 2 years)

Like Reply Quote
Page 389 of 423 1 2 387 388 389 390 391 422 423
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.4