My difficulty with this rule is that the officials rarely call the foul early enough for the shooter to stop her shot. Many times it's not the official's fault as much as it is the fact that it is a "bang bang" play. Defender steps into shooting space as shooter is shooting. In my 3 years experience of coaching girl's lacrosse, over 95% of these fouls are called by the officials this way...simultaneously, while the shooter is shooting, with no chance of their stopping their shot. So although "The Rule" reads nice, it rarely occurs or is called in a fashion that the shooter can stop their shot. So the shot which resulted in a goal is disallowed and a free position is awarded (maybe awarded...if a foul is not called on a dangerous shot). If both fouls are called for a dangerous shot on the shooter and shooting space on the defender, correct me if i'm wrong, but a free position is NOT awarded...thus rewarding the defense. It is my opinion that if the shooter has no time to stop there shot because of the last second shooting space violation, that the shot should count. I understand the rule is for safety but, it only rewards the defense, even if a free position is awarded. A shot was going to be taken anyway. If the violation happens early and is called early I have no objection with calling a dangerous shot...it just rarely seems to happen that way.