Originally Posted by Anonymous
The girls lax players NEED to wear a helmet. My daughter suffered a mild concussion due to another players stick hitting in her in the head on a follow through this past spring. In years past she has had the ball hit her in the head on a pass of a bad shot. It is only a matter of time that a girl lax player will die because they do not wear protective gear for their heads.

The argument against it is ridiculous. There will not be more violence because of the helmet. It will actually make enforcing the rule easier for the official. When a stick hits a girls head it males no sound. When a stick hits a plastic helmet is makes a distinct noticeable sound. Again, my daughter has gotten hit in the head many times before the concussion incident this spring. Usually there was no penalty because the official did not realize it happened. No other protective gear should be added in order to keep the game the same.

We need to protect the heads of our young female lax players!

The argument against helmets is far from ridiculous.
Helmets do not stop concussions. They prevent contusions. Just reference football and boys lacrosse to see if helmets work. Those sports have the highest concussion rates among all contact sports.
The argument against helmets in girls lacrosse is a sound one.
While I am sorry about your daughter and her injuries I would say the number of occurrences in girls lax is by far much smaller than let's say girls soccer.
Injuries happen in sports and officiating and style of play are the reasons girls lax injuries happen.

Back of the Cage