Re: concussions in girls lacrosse, it is an interesting debate. On the one hand, you have the fact that experts say helmets don't stop concussions and the fact that, like skiing, just the act of players wearing helmets may lead to more dangerous on-field behavior.

That said, I've NEVER seen a boy getting a concussion from being hit in the head with a stick. So, while a helmet may not protect against the whiplash effect common in most concussions, I am not sure it doesn't help with getting hit in the head with a stick. Now what about a ball? I've had four players get hit in the head with a ball and have concussion-like symptoms. (As did I 20 years ago, when I couldn't walk straight off the field for a few seconds and didn't have an appetite that night - luckily only possible concussion I can recall.) All were pretty mild to a point it may not even have been a concussion. (And true experts recognize that getting a concussion is not a black and white thing.) I have a hard time believing all of those shots to the head wouldn't have been worse without a helmet. I just think most research involves football helmets where you don't get checked to the head with a stick or hit in the helmet by a hard plastic ball.

PS - I'd prefer if girls lacrosse was played like boys, except with no body checking and much stricter on slashes, as well has having sticks that were like boys sticks 20 years ago. If my 4-year old girl wasn't petite, I'd have her start playing U7 with the boys next Spring.