Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by The Hop
A question for the HOP, GREAT THREAD, lots of GREAT IDEAS but after years and years and years of inaction by US lacrosse, why do you think now is the time that real change will be instituted. Do you have inside info? The things brought up in this thread have been going on forever and others have tried to implement change and it has always fallen on deaf ears.

I hope this time its different!

This time is different. USL is actively addressing many of the issues discussed here.
Age verification for one will be rolled out with pilot programs this spring. Other changes are coming as well.
With decreasing growth numbers it's time.

I am involved with USL to answer your question and thank you for your input.

Can is lax take insurance away from clubs, leagues, and tournaments that don't follow the guidelines?

My worry is that many of the tournaments are not USL sanctioned, so even if they apply guidelines, your bigger clubs, your business focused clubs, those that promote holdbacks or turn a blind eye, will just attend other tournaments, making USL tournaments somewhat shunned. It seems like this may divide the lax community even more. I think guidelines are needed, I just don't know if clubs will be able to avoid them with their own tournaments and creativity to continue to manipulate the system. I think if college recruiting showcases and events really forced kids into age appropriate play, you might see a change, but that doesn't seem to be coming down the pike any time soon. I do give credit to USL for stepping up and trying to implement change.

I'm wondering that since this will roll out in the spring (2016), how will it affect all the travel teams next summer? Tryouts for Summer 2016 begin a month from now under the current 'grade' trend.

Next summer will be a mess with even more complaints and could snuff out the efforts, giving the illusion of a failed system.

Is the implementation then technically two seasons out?...since the tryouts next summer (2016) will only get the system on track for the spring of 2017?