Originally Posted by Anonymous
Remind me again bow this is cheating in grade based tournaments? Maybe the guy that points out everyone’s reading comprehension problems and uses words like ‘hence’ can put down the dictionary and explain what the issue is? It’s been discussed to death that Coaches want the best kids in the grade, regardless of how close to the cutoff they were born. Why is this still a topic? I guess your son is still on the wrong side of puberty. Good luck with that.

I never would have thought I was living rent free in someone’s head. And no, I do not use a dictionary. I’m just literate, “hence” your misinterpretation. I’ll try my best to not be condescending or insulting, despite your constant need to bash people’s kids with remarks on puberty, development, and skill.

The issue is it is unfair for older kids to play against younger kids, specifically from 10-14 years of age. Simple as that. I’m still not sure how one can not comprehend that. It is why parents and kids liked the concept of the World Series. It is why there has been a rule change to age based lacrosse at the youth level. Nobody is doubting that college coaches could care less about age. They want the biggest and best players. Same with top high schools. But this is an 8th grade forum. And it was once a 7th grade forum. And before that, it was a 6th grade forum. And you surely get my point.

It is talked about because the majority of people do not agree with holding kids back. It’s been beaten to death for sure. The people who do it, see the value. Some people who are against it see it as cheating as in it is providing an unfair advantage. Technically it isn’t cheating if one defines cheating as breaking the rules. But in the mind of an anti holdback parent, it is taking away from the fairness of the game. Truth be told, I’m actually ok with my son playing against older kids. It’s certainly better for his development, provides a greater challenge, and will mirror the experience he will have in high school. That doesn’t mean I agree with it nor does it mean I should pretend it does not affect some more than others

With all that said, how does one not acknowledge what it’s like to be in the shoes of an outspoken anti-holdback parent or kid? You instill the necessary tools to be a solid athlete. From work ethic to nutrition to training to learning the intricacies of the game. Then they show up ready to roll one weekend in June only to be physically manhandled by kids who are stronger and faster simply because they are older. That’s the frustration and that’s the issue. I’m sure that most kids and parents aren’t crying about it on the car ride home. But who are you to take away their voice and right to call a spade a spade?