Originally Posted by Anonymous
Can someone tell me how the MS system works in their school. I understand the 1st/3rd prd and 2nd/4th prd format but who plays what. Is it an A (better players 1st/3rd prd) then B (next level - developing players 2nd/4th prd) and you reward or try and win the games with who is hot in the 5th prd format. Or is it an 8th grade (1st/3rd prd) and 7th grade (2nd/4th prd)format. and a blend in the 5th period. or is there no consistency amongst the schools and it is the coach's discretion.

The reason I ask is it seems our school goes A/B. But I've noticed the teams we've played leave some very talented players to play in that 2nd/4th prd (players who in my opinion are better than those on the 1st/3rd prd). I can understand if they split the team into 2 teams one as 8th and 7th and those talented players are 7th graders, but if you do that who does that help? Why not have those better 7th play with the better 8th, you will need it in the future.

Again my school plays the best players (deserving w/Attitude or skill) from that week in practice (or prior game) regardless of grade. I applaud my school for this and as such love the Modified format/concept they follow. Giving the better players time to gel on the same team giving them a sense of civic pride and building leadership characteristics. As well as giving that developing player (as they all are developing) the opportunity to play and develop with their peers.

But some schools seem to leave a few players on that "second team". I wonder is this on purpose for the sake of a win? or is it Sheer numbers and that player who is talented is just the 7/8/9th middie and you only run 6 middies during the 1st/3rd and you notice that 7th middie's skill more during the 2nd/4th. or is it some boys in the 2nd/4th are gamers and may not show themselves in practice and just pop in a game or the opposite and some go into a shell on game day and do not provide what you see in drills/practice.

My kids MS, plays the A lines in 1/3 periods, and B line plays 2/4. And 5 period is used for coaches discretion.. Meaning A line might go back in, if playing a good team, or the C lines might get a chance if they are winning by a far margin. A/b lines are made up of the better players but most 8th graders seem to fall on the A lines due to maturity/size. But the lines are mixed.