In my opinion (as a former player and current youth coach) there are a couple of things youth soccer does better than youth lacrosse:1) player passes with verified birth certificates that prevent any funny business, 2) age groups defined by birth year rather than graduation year, and 3) well trained and organized officiating.

Originally Posted by CageSage
[quote=Anonymous].
Lacrosse's differentiation between town and club teams also promotes these "two team" players. With club teams starting to edge towards full year coverage with better training, the revenue potential will eventually force the better players to choose an exclusive premier path.

Youth Soccer's "Development Academies" are forcing the better players to choose between their High School careers and higher level academy training. How long before Lacrosse sees the same system evolve? Our answer : Five to ten years.

Think about it.

However, Soccer's "Development Academies" don't sound to me like something we in the lacrosse world should emulate. Unless you are on track for National/Olympic team staus, wouldn't it be a shame to miss out on town/school teams that give you a chance to play with your local peers and play for town pride?

When you refer to "revenue potential," CageSage, surely you aren't talking about $$ for the player's benefit? I have read other forums here that claim that the "full ride" college scholarship doesn't exist for lacrosse. Also, the earning potential of a pro lax player is pretty limited. With the exception of the top players and coaches, not many people can earn their living through lacrosse. Lacrosse is not even an Olympic sport, where a gold medal might earn a player a spot on a Wheaties box (and a lucrative endorsement deal).

Perhaps the revenue you were talking about would be going into the Academy coffers?