Originally Posted by Anonymous
I could not agree more. If I am paying 2 grand, I want more than 12 kids at the club practice. I also do not want to hear that we are not having another weekly practice because half the team cannot make it because they have practice for their town team. I think kids and parents need to learn about what commitment is. If you pulled this in another sport- you'd be benched or would not make the team the following year. I am not sure why this happens so frequently in lax.
This happens in lacrosse due to a weak player pass situation. If players were tied to a single team for a seasonal year, players would need to choose between their town teams and premier club teams.

Soccer avoids this debate since the best town teams (U/11 and under) move to their premier ranks by U/12, so there is no notion of being both "intramural and premier".

Lacrosse's differentiation between town and club teams also promotes these "two team" players. With club teams starting to edge towards full year coverage with better training, the revenue potential will eventually force the better players to choose an exclusive premier path.

Two weeks back when we spoke with US Lacrosse, their staff members were particularly concerned about clubs in some locations (not New [lacrosse]) forcing players, particularly boys, to choose. While not an issue yet here, BOTC was quick to point out that this train is coming.

US Lacrosse asked us why we thought this would happen? Our response was simple : Lacrosse youth development structure is typically five to ten years behind Youth Soccer, at least on the East Coast. US Lacrosse agreed with this view.

Youth Soccer's "Development Academies" are forcing the better players to choose between their High School careers and higher level academy training. How long before Lacrosse sees the same system evolve? Our answer : Five to ten years.

Think about it.