Originally Posted by Anonymous
IMHO you're wrong on multiple fronts. Your siting individual one player situations and trying to make that the norm for every kid. Read a book called the outsiders. It takes 10,000 hours of practice to master a skill. You can site super athletic long poles, but the inner city basketball analogy says it all.
With regard to speed and agility... You don't get fast by running through cones and doing ladder drills..... Speed comes from strength. Look at the physiques of some the fastest people in world... They didn't get that way from ladder drills. They spent hours in the gym strength training.
Not saying a kid should play lax full out for 12 months a year. I am saying that specialization for kid that wants to do it, is not a negative. They should play what they like. Making a kid play football or some other sport is in no way going to make him a better lax player if he doesn't want to play other sports.
IMHO

The kid plays other sports because he likes them, and when lax season comes his superior ability makes him rise to the top . Anyone who thinks if they just have their kid play lacrosse all year when he gets to HS he will be better then kids with more natural talent is deluding themselves. You think I am blind ? YOu think I have not noticed some kids pick up things far far far quicker then otheres and do them better ?