Originally Posted by Anonymous
Yea but the guy who bought into "spectacular" with future gave the theory of evolution and with his belief it's coming real soon.. I guess that what his coach tells him as he has his hand out to be paid!

So obvious he's plugging away ..

Smarty pants was funny - I take it as a complement!

but I guess you agree with the points, to a certain degree.

Sure sure the bashing has to go... but so does the bashing of parents that are promoting their childs need to play a competitive game.

Just like in life, it is not always what you say but how you say it.

I was just simply stating; when was there ever a team or teams with the talent as 91's 3rd or 4th grade team. Not sure, not to long ago you didnt have 3rd grade teams let alone competitive teams at that age (developmental at best).

And, these teams are getting pushed and promoted by parents who have older siblings and know they can succeed in a program for 3rd (or 4th) graders. (Commenting on the people stating this is first child syndrome)

and Sure not all of the boys will be the top tier players when they hit HS, but 50% will be the studs come time for HS. Think of it like the progression of basketball; it was boring in the 70's and early 80's (you may not have been around for that) but then the explosion came and it turned its corner.

Sure basketball has hit duldrums again but that is not the point.

The evolution (not revolution) of LAX is coming and by the time these 3rd 4th graders are in HS, it will be amazing to watch and college will be spectacular!

No they won't, because some kid with 5 times as much talent has not even picked up a stick yet, but he will. The two best 3rd grade kids I have seen both play on town teams only, and I have seen 91. After lax season they go on to dominate in football season, then in basketball, then back to lax. ANd when these kids with under talent start really hitting it when they become young men the kid who had an advantage because he played 12 months year will watch them fly right past him

I think it's great for a kid to play many sports, especially at a young age. However, your kidding yourself if you think the kid that specializes and stays with it is going to get passed up. Only in lacrosse is it not a good thing to specialize. I here it all the way up the line. If you play basketball or golf, tennis, football, soccer, and others you're considered very committed to your sport if you play all the time or play in season and train off season. The only way to get really good at something is to work at it all the time. Ever notice how inner city kids seem to be really good at basketball? They play everyday. You see them playing lacrosse to improve their basketball game? NO! Same thing with a talent. If your a great piano player, do you play the drums half the year??? I say if a kid only wants to play lacrosse, let him enjoy. Absolutely no negative effects. If he wants to play other sports that's great too...

My friend picked up a lax stick in 10th grade, ended up an All American with D1 offers that he turned down for a football free ride. . Will playing lax 12 months a year make you a bette r lax player? Sure. Will it matter when a kid with double the talent picks up a stick much later then him and only plays during lax season ? Nope. The lesser talented kid will be on the bench watching. Know what the new college recruiting tactic is ? Draft kids with less lax exposure but with more athletic ability because after being coached up for a year or two they will be better then that kid who played lax 12 months a year for the last decade. I watch kids of m sons town team who pick up the stick first week of practice, sure the travel kids are better in that first week, come see the team at the end of the season, that kid is blowing the travel kids away

you are dead on, great athletes will always pass great lacrosse players eventually, as for the inner city basketball analogy there are a lot of kids playing inner city basketball all the time but the ones that make it are the great athletes, Thomas Keith played lacrosse from March through May until 11th grade because he was a highly touted hockey (drafted in the USHL) he dedicated to lacrosse in 11th grade and is now the starting long pole middy at Cornell - he is a great athlete. it is called upside potential, a kid that plays 12 months a year will not have great upside because he is already near his peak. instead of all the specialized training and 12 months a year I would recommend speed and agility training.
IMHO