Originally Posted by Anonymous
Not sure what is meant entirely by the question, but there is absolutely a positive bias towards private school players. So if you are trying out for a club and from a certain private school you are assumed to be a better player and definitely given an advantage. As someone who loves the game and has been involved with it for many years it is disappointing to see the increasing influence private schools and thus wealth is having on players opportunities. If you go back even 10-15 years ago this was not the case. I’m so tired of people saying they want to grow the game, when recent actions have only increasingly limited access. There are so many great players at public schools who never get recognized or even a chance to develop. It would be nice for people who say they truly care about the game to take action to decrease the influence of wealth and increase the opportunities and access for all players. If you compare to the girls game it is not this bad. The more great athletes playing would benefit everyone.
Stop whining dude. If your kid is at a public school, do the extra work to get him recognized. Get him on a good club team…have him do the elite showcases. Or grow a set and send him to one of the private schools. There is plenty of financial aid for families willing to sacrifice for a top notch education.

You are literally proving his point. Extra work sometimes requires private lessons or work outs...money. Showcases...money. And people living pay check to pay check don't have the ability to sacrifice any more to go to a private school. You really showed your true colors telling some one who is not as privileged as you to "grow a set" and send a child to a private school. Lacrosse is a very privileged sport compared to other sports. And anyone who does not believe that is very lucky to be where they are in society.
Yes, when compared to hockey
Thoughts on NIL in college lacrosse? Any chance we see a decline in quality at more elite athletes will look for a full rides and football NIL over playing basically for love of the game in college lacrosse?

I would not be surprised to see all athletes become "employees" of the university in the future. It will give a pathway for non-revenue athletes to improve their financial position while allowing them to get a better education playing the sport they love.

Of course....HHH players will make millions off their deals:)

I agree that HHH players will make mint wink
I don't think non-revenue athletes will be get the same "employee" status that football/basketball players. Non-revenue sports are already hits to the bottom line. They are lucky just to be in there. No chance they get more money from the university.

90% of 100+ rosters for football teams are already on full rides. As we all know, there are only 12.6 Full Rides for Lacrosse teams with rosters over 50 usually, and most of those are cut up into smalle pieces (unless you played Club for HHH, then you are getting a full ride for sure). So most of the lacrosse team is still paying for the privilege to play college lacrosse (consider it a really expensive club lacrosse experience). The thought that these students on the lacrosse team would become "employees" of the university seems not to line up.

I think the catch is that you cannot designate certain athletes as employees and others not employees. I'm not saying this will happen in the short term, but it does appear to be the case as legal challenges evolve. It allows athletes to participate in collective bargaining agreements on salary, services, and other rights that they do not currently have under this system.

interesting. Sounds like it's going to be total mess. I totally get where football and basketball players have a leg to stand on this argument over compensation since the universities bring in so much revenue for those teams. Essentially football funds all the other sports programs for the university. What kind of argument do athletes on the lacrosse team have? Considering that most schools are charging a very small ticket fee for GA, I guess there is some money coming in from the conference tv deals. What does any of this mean for non-football/basketball athletes?
Food for thought- ticket prices for lacrosse games vs donations from lacrosse alumni. Just saying, all those HHH kids making mint are gonna give back to the U over the years. And love the 90% of 100+ kids are on scholarship. 85 of 100+ kids are on scholarship. Thats how many football gets.

The 85 football number is correct for only the largest programs. There are 129 teams in this category.

D1-FCS have 63 equivalents. 125 teams in this category. On average players get 60% scholarship.

D2 - 36 equivalents. On average around 35%.

D1-FBS is all was considering from an NIL perspective. I doubt there is much NIL money pouring into D1-FCS/D2 progrums. Apologies for misleading the public regarding 90% vs 85 actual scholarships. I have been dunked on and posterized.

Just posing the question would players like Jared Bernhardt still choose lacrosse out of high school if the football team is offering him a full ride plus $50k/year in NIL to play football (again assumption being that Lacrosse NIL money is fairly non-existent).

Maybe those HHH '25 Parents out there can confirm or deny how much NIL money is getting thrown their way. They are the cream of the crop. Let's hear it from them.

I don't suppose most dual sport athletes opt for lacrosse if they are being offered better deals in football. You would have to be kind of fool to pass on a full ride plus $50k. (Not to mention, the irrational hope of football glory and future earnings.) The lacrosse money is so limited as to hardly be worth major consideration. I don't know many D1 lax players. I only know one star player personally who had alumni provide enough money for graduate school to allow him to stay and play at a top tier school and use his last covid year of eligibility. I suspect there will be some alumni who will fund NIL money to attract talent. Penn lax alumni are well connected and have given lots of opportunities for Penn lax players moving into private equity. It would not surprise me if they would help fund recruiting efforts. Given the Ivy's are non-scholarship, I don't know if they would exploit that or shun it.