Oct 23rd, 2017
SUBSCRIBE

Previous Thread
Next Thread
New Reply
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#46768 - 11/06/13 12:04 PM What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting  
CageSage Offline
Back of THE CAGE
CageSage  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

The Intercollegiate Menís Lacrosse Coaches Association (IMLCA) has issued a letter on Friday, November 1st encouraging all NCAA Division I and Division II coaches to NOT attend any midweek College Showcases despite these midweek dates being valid on the NCAA Recruiting Calendar.

While this does NOT impact any events being carried here on BOTC, this recommendation does impact our Youth Lacrosse community as evidenced in our Boys 2017 discussion thread where many in that age group had registered for the National Elite 175 recruiting event scheduled for Tuesday, November 26th. To their credit, the showcase organizers have opened a 48-hour window for refunds according to information we have received here at BOTC.

Now, it is completely unclear how tight the IMLCA's grip might be on the Division I and II coaches that were planning to attend this (or any) November midweek events.

Interesting to BOTC is that Division III institutions are NOT covered by this move and they continue to be free to attend the midweek recruiting events.

So, we are forced to ask what the difference is between a Division I coach attending a Tuesday afternoon event and a Division III coach? At first, we thought the IMLCA was making this move to self-police the recruiting cycles and avoid pressure to be seen on school days (despite this event being just before the Thanksgiving break). However, once we saw that Division III coaches were exempted, BOTC was forced to question the basis of the IMLCA's position.

What is your view?

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#46769 - 11/06/13 12:10 PM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: CageSage]  
CageSage Offline
Back of THE CAGE
CageSage  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

The statement below came from Phil Buttafuoco, executive director for the IMLCA. BOTC has not learned the name of the event referenced in the note but strongly believes that this action was precipitated by the National 175 event.

Originally Posted by IMCLA - Phil Buttafuoco Statement
TO: IMLCA Membership

Members of the IMLCA Division I Legislative Committee have asked me to push hard for coaches to adhere to the IMLCA policy prohibiting coaches from attending mid-week recruiting events, including the below event. A reminder of the policy was distributed again this morning.

The policy states: ďDuring the recruiting segment of the 2012 IMLCA Convention, the IMLCA Division I and Division II membership voted to state that it does not support any non-institutional or non-scholastic events conducted Monday thru Friday from September 1 thru May 1.

The IMLCA membership understands that school coaching staffs are permitted to conduct events Monday thru Friday on their campus provided they do not hire coaches not employed by their school.

This IMLCA position takes effect September 1, 2013.Ē

Top Reply Quote
#46787 - 11/06/13 02:36 PM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: CageSage]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

It's not fair that they are doing this after kids committed to this recruiting event and decided not to attend others. Seems like they may have had an axe to grind with Nat175 organized, who are basically screwd also. Just feel bad for the boys that were looking forward to the event.

Top Reply Quote
#46804 - 11/06/13 04:40 PM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I just asked for a refund.

We were hoping to use this event to get tape against quality competition to have film to send out next summer when the summer recruiting picks up and also have him experience what a showcase event is like.

I considered still sending him but I'm concerned the quality of the event is going to drop significantly now.

Did a quick search and couldn't come up with much as an alternative this late in the fall season. Travel team is doing a couple of recruiting tournaments together, guess we will have to use film from there.

I cant really blame this on the event organizer as they did it last year without incident I believe. I do respect that they are allowing refunds.

Top Reply Quote
#46808 - 11/06/13 04:51 PM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: CageSage]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

They should have went across all levels but understand since $$ are given at I and II that is where it will make an impact to players and parents.

I support their decision, surprised NCAA does do something like that (it is student/athlete) but they should have made their intentions known sooner so plans could have been altered for the families organization and coaches.

But for goodness sake the games were in a week where historically students "miss" a few days do to the holidays - so is this the games/venue to make a stand! Is there another underling issue gotta be something else?

Originally Posted by CageSage
The Intercollegiate Menís Lacrosse Coaches Association (IMLCA) has issued a letter on Friday, November 1st encouraging all NCAA Division I and Division II coaches to NOT attend any midweek College Showcases despite these midweek dates being valid on the NCAA Recruiting Calendar.

While this does NOT impact any events being carried here on BOTC, this recommendation does impact our Youth Lacrosse community as evidenced in our Boys 2017 discussion thread where many in that age group had registered for the National Elite 175 recruiting event scheduled for Tuesday, November 26th. To their credit, the showcase organizers have opened a 48-hour window for refunds according to information we have received here at BOTC.

Now, it is completely unclear how tight the IMLCA's grip might be on the Division I and II coaches that were planning to attend this (or any) November midweek events.

Interesting to BOTC is that Division III institutions are NOT covered by this move and they continue to be free to attend the midweek recruiting events.

So, we are forced to ask what the difference is between a Division I coach attending a Tuesday afternoon event and a Division III coach? At first, we thought the IMLCA was making this move to self-police the recruiting cycles and avoid pressure to be seen on school days (despite this event being just before the Thanksgiving break). However, once we saw that Division III coaches were exempted, BOTC was forced to question the basis of the IMLCA's position.

What is your view?

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#46819 - 11/06/13 07:52 PM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I support the IMLCA ban on not having events on days where public schools are in session and therefore would require a day missed from clasess. You can argue that it's only one day but if a line isn't drawn in the sand, how many other recruiting events do you think will begin to encroach on other "in school" days? Lots. And where will it end? Christmas day closed circuit remote video showcases? Bravo IMLCA - keep all recruiting events to the weekends during the school year and let the showcases fight it out for talent.

Top Reply Quote
#46821 - 11/06/13 08:57 PM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why did the organizers schedule this showcase during school? Why did they think it was okay for kids to miss school so they could fatten up their wallets?
Maybe someone should call them and ask them that.
I have no sympathy for them or the parents who planned on taking their kids out of school for this.

Top Reply Quote
#46828 - 11/06/13 11:03 PM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: Anonymous]  
CageSage Offline
Back of THE CAGE
CageSage  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

The points that some posters have made about a showcase being scheduled on a school date are completely valid. BOTC agrees.

However, what about recruiting events that start on a Friday before a long weekend where student-athletes are pulled to do the drive with family? How about students that leave class early during the NYSPHSAA Lacrosse Playoffs in the Spring season?

These points are, however, smoke covering the main issues. Here are our questions.

[1] Why has the IMLCA chosen now, November, a heavy recruiting month, to reemphasize their policy regarding no mid-week activity?

[2] If the IMLCA is passionate regarding enforcement of a more restrictive recruiting calendar than that provided by the NCAA, why did the IMLCA not take their desires directly to the NCAA Compliance committee?

[3] Let's suppose that the IMLCA came forward now simply in response to the mid-week November 26th date for a showcase event because they were thinking about keeping the players in class. If that were the motivation, why is it fine with the IMLCA to have NCAA Division III coaches attend the event but not Division I or II coaches?

BOTC thinks that this announcement's motivation is still questionable.

Top Reply Quote
#46829 - 11/06/13 11:19 PM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: CageSage]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The next question is-
Could the organizers of this showcase have scheduled it on a date that did not make these kids miss a day of school?
Yes, they absolutely could have, but they chose not to, because in their arrogance , they did not care if the kids missed school. It didn't matter to them as long as they got paid.
Don't put the blame on the IMCLA. It sounds like you are trying to find fault with anyone BUT the tournament organizers.

Top Reply Quote
#46830 - 11/07/13 06:01 AM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: CageSage]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The IWCLA - Women's Coaches - hosts their own event which starts on a Friday in Florida. Kind of interesting?

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#46831 - 11/07/13 06:44 AM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: CageSage]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The first step toward finding your answer, Cage, is to determine whether IMLCA coches have attended any other recruiting events held on a school day this year. Anyone know of any?

Originally Posted by CageSage
The points that some posters have made about a showcase being scheduled on a school date are completely valid. BOTC agrees.

However, what about recruiting events that start on a Friday before a long weekend where student-athletes are pulled to do the drive with family? How about students that leave class early during the NYSPHSAA Lacrosse Playoffs in the Spring season?

These points are, however, smoke covering the main issues. Here are our questions.

[1] Why has the IMLCA chosen now, November, a heavy recruiting month, to reemphasize their policy regarding no mid-week activity?

[2] If the IMLCA is passionate regarding enforcement of a more restrictive recruiting calendar than that provided by the NCAA, why did the IMLCA not take their desires directly to the NCAA Compliance committee?

[3] Let's suppose that the IMLCA came forward now simply in response to the mid-week November 26th date for a showcase event because they were thinking about keeping the players in class. If that were the motivation, why is it fine with the IMLCA to have NCAA Division III coaches attend the event but not Division I or II coaches?

BOTC thinks that this announcement's motivation is still questionable.

Top Reply Quote
#46832 - 11/07/13 07:16 AM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: CageSage]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

As a parent of a player who will be attending this showcase, I did contemplate the fact that it was scheduled on a school day, as a student athlete, my son attends classes everyday, when he received his invitation in August, as a family we chose to attend knowing he would be missing 1 day of school. We also knew in advance that he would have to prepare for the day missed. As a player it is disappointing that you work hard to achieve success and hope that your hard work will be noticed. The decision by the IMLCA is disappointing, we will still be attending the showcase as we feel it is a quality event with awesome competition. It is an opportunity to be in an environment with some of the best players, and to be in the same arena with some of the best college programs from around the country.

Top Reply Quote
#46833 - 11/07/13 07:34 AM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Why did the organizers schedule this showcase during school? Why did they think it was okay for kids to miss school so they could fatten up their wallets?
Maybe someone should call them and ask them that.
I have no sympathy for them or the parents who planned on taking their kids out of school for this.

Did you know that many of the kids planning on attending DID NOT have shool that day. They turned down other recruiting events for this one.

I had my son registered because the cost associated with other prestigious fall events (JR) was too high, this was local and well regarded. There are also many kids registered from other states where they needed to buy plane tickets, it is not right!

You are entitled to your opionion about the ethics of taking kids out of school, but no one asked for your sympathy. As cage said, there are many sporting events (playoff games) that release kids from class, I guess that's ok for you?

Bottom line is the timing of this letter to coaches is hurting many kids, they are now left with no fall options. The letter should have set new rules in place for NEXT YEAR!

Top Reply Quote
#46836 - 11/07/13 08:36 AM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: Anonymous]  
CageSage Offline
Back of THE CAGE
CageSage  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Originally Posted by Anonymous
The next question is-
Could the organizers of this showcase have scheduled it on a date that did not make these kids miss a day of school?
Yes, they absolutely could have, but they chose not to, because in their arrogance , they did not care if the kids missed school. It didn't matter to them as long as they got paid.
Don't put the blame on the IMCLA. It sounds like you are trying to find fault with anyone BUT the tournament organizers.
Since the schedule was never published, suppose this recruiting event was running from 3:00pm until 10:00pm? Remember, this was being held at Mitchel Field and the turf field and surrounding areas are well lit for evening action. Everyone has assumed that IMCLA was being altruistic (SAT Word of the Day) in their concern for student-athlete classroom time. Were they really?

Why would the IMLCA say that Division III coaches can attend a midweek recruiting event overlapping with school yet Division I and Division II coaches can not attend?

If there was no market for a Tuesday event, parents would not register their student-athletes and the showcase would not have occurred. What we are seeing is that there IS a market for a lower cost, local option and parents voted with their wallets to attend.

So, what does the IMLCA do? They prohibit scholarship awarding programs from attending (Division I and II schools) yet they allow schools without scholarships (Division III) to attend. Clearly, this is NOT about keeping the players in class during a midweek session and has everything to do with parents paying for recruiting access with an event organizer from which the IMLCA is going to withhold recruiting dollars.

Top Reply Quote
#46841 - 11/07/13 09:36 AM Re: What's Your View? IMLCA Says "No" To Mid-Week Collegiate Recruiting [Re: CageSage]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why didn't they just schedule this thing on aSaturday or Sunday?
If they did that, then there wouldn't be a problem.

Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Martin Luther King Jr. - Girls LAX Tournament
Harding Battle by the Bay
Harding Summer Sunset
Andy Forsberg Memorial Lacrosse Tournament