Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by CageSage
The next question is-
Could the organizers of this showcase have scheduled it on a date that did not make these kids miss a day of school?
Yes, they absolutely could have, but they chose not to, because in their arrogance , they did not care if the kids missed school. It didn't matter to them as long as they got paid.
Don't put the blame on the IMCLA. It sounds like you are trying to find fault with anyone BUT the tournament organizers.
Since the schedule was never published, suppose this recruiting event was running from 3:00pm until 10:00pm? Remember, this was being held at Mitchel Field and the turf field and surrounding areas are well lit for evening action. Everyone has assumed that IMCLA was being altruistic (SAT Word of the Day) in their concern for student-athlete classroom time. Were they really?

Why would the IMLCA say that Division III coaches can attend a midweek recruiting event overlapping with school yet Division I and Division II coaches can not attend?

If there was no market for a Tuesday event, parents would not register their student-athletes and the showcase would not have occurred. What we are seeing is that there IS a market for a lower cost, local option and parents voted with their wallets to attend.

So, what does the IMLCA do? They prohibit scholarship awarding programs from attending (Division I and II schools) yet they allow schools without scholarships (Division III) to attend. Clearly, this is NOT about keeping the players in class during a midweek session and has everything to do with parents paying for recruiting access with an event organizer from which the IMLCA is going to withhold recruiting dollars.

Multiple wrongs don't make it right. Lets not continue to encourage bad behavior by allowing the 175 to accelerate a downward spiral in common sense. At some point the madness needs to be held in check and the IMLCA has taken this issue on because the NCAA has no enforcement backbone. Somebody has to put the money grabbers in check and I'm glad the IMLCA "Crippled" the 175 for the good of the student athlete. There are plenty of Saturdays and Sundays (which used to be a Church day) for them to hold their event. Enough is enough.

You are missing the point!!! The timing of the statement is irresponsible like I said, kids are being hurt by this. I still suspect that there is a personal motive somewhere here, or else this would not have happened weeks before a major showcase. Remember also that nobody was being forced to attend this event. Parents and their children evaluate the different options and then decide which is best for their situation. Not everyone can afford to travel to Florida and take even more days off from school.

No, you're missing the point. Why not confine this to Saturaday/Sunday? Answer, because there are other recruiting tournaments on the weekends that would minimize the money grab. That's what this is all about and the IMCLA has enough sense to see through that and stop the madness. Let the 175 jump into the same snake pit on the weekends as the other events and fight for the dollars.