Originally Posted by Anonymous
College coaches suggest to the vast majority of kids what are the preferred majors of the program. Anyone that doesn't acknowledge that has their head in the sand. Coaches are only interested in their teams eligibility and team gpa. They could care less if sally wants to be an engineer. Take communications, get a 3.0 without showing up and play lax 6 hours a day
you are ridiculously cynical and wrong at least in our experience. Our daughter is committed to a top 10 university that has been ranked in the top 10 in lacrosse the last few years. Sh has been committed for well over a year. This has never come up with the coaches. Have also talked to girls on the team and this has never come up. Urban myth from jealous parents whose kids aren't committed.

Top Ten Universities that also have DI Women's Lacrosse.

1 - Princeton
2 - Harvard
3 - Yale
5- Columbia
5 - Stanford
8 - Duke
8 - Penn
10 - Johns Hopkins

Duke, Princeton & Penn Stanford have all been ranked in the Top 10 in recent years. Hopkins is consistently ranked in the Top 20. Columbia, Yale and Harvard also have competitive programs.

Princeton has won three National Championships. Duke has been knocking on the door. Penn has made it to championship weekend more than once and is also bringing in some very good recruits. Stanford is consistently improving.

Dartmouth is ranked 11 academically and has fielded competitive women's lacrosse teams in the past.

I would bet that there are plenty of women playing lacrosse at those schools who are also enrolled in and excelling in a major of their choice.

Congratulations to your daughter and best of luck. I am sure she will make the most of her college education and experience.

Yes, if their major is Basket Weaving! But I'm sure a BW degree from Princeton will take you further than one from Stony Brook

I will throw in the following:

11 - Dartmouth
12 - Northwestern
14 - Brown
15 - Cornell
15 - Notre Dame
15 - Vanderbilt
20 - Georgetown
20 - Cal Berkley
23 - Southern Cal
24 - Virginia
27 - Michigan
30 - UNC
31 - Boston College
32 - William and Mary
39 - Boston University
44 - Lehigh
50 - Penn State
50 - Florida
50 - Villanova

Some other great DI schools:

Colgate, Navy, Army, Richmond, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Lafayette

Thats 34 great schools that offer young women an incredible opportunity. Not all Devision I athletes look for less demanding majors. Not all student athletes want to be engineers or MD's.

The jealousy on here is crazy. There are great DII and DII opportunities as well. If that is what is offered to you or that is what you choose congratulations.

Constantly trying to convince everyone how wise you are because your daughter goes to a DIII school. How it will be a far superior experience and education than what she would have at Princeton, Stanford, Penn, Duke, Northwestern, Notre Dame, Boston College, Penn State or God forbid The University of North Carolina.

In my experience, very few girls who have both the grades and athleticism to be offered an opportunity to attend one of the schools listed choose to go DII.

Give it a rest already. If you turned down Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern and Notre Dame to go wherever good for you.

Keep telling yourself that all of the young women who attend and play lacrosse at one of the 34 schools listed will not get a great education and have an incredible college experience.

To each her own.

It must be very tough going through life so bitter and jealous.

There are a lot more kids playing at the Central Ct's of the world than the list you have above. Be realistic. Everyone on here would have you believe their kid is a "Shannon" ability wise and #1 in their class academically