Originally Posted by Anonymous
"We don't see any of this at volleyball, softball, soccer or basketball. Kids play those sports for fun nobody talks about "verbals" yet kids still end up getting some scholarships and all the parents cheer for all the kids and the team."

This is what I was referring to. You do see tons of talk about verbals in other sports. Soccer is a prime example. So while agree about the ability to possess the ball etc, the parental nuttiness is EVERYWHERE!

Nuttiness yes, but no other sport is close to lax. Everyone else cheers for the team and not the individual. If your daughter is in 10th grade and an athlete I am sure she has played school volleyball, soccer or BBall already and you can't tell me the stands are the same as the spring Lax sideline. Lax parents don't care about anything but their own kid. Makes me want to scream

I guess that's true. Don't really understand it. Our town isn't quite like that, but I think it's because we don't have too many top travel kids, so the team seems more tight knit and the parents actually seem generally pretty supportive of all. I definitely see it on the travel club circuit. Any thoughts on why lax is like that? I mean the few college coaches that I have gotten to know, look for many other things besides goal scoring. Off ball movement, creating lanes for teammates, hustle on the ride, defense, communication, leadership, passing, overall vision ... One well-respected coach told me as my daughter was going through the recruiting process that she of course wants talented kids, but she and her staff spend a lot of time thinking about personalities and chemistry when working through the recruiting puzzle. One would think that parents could grasp these things too and understand that there are many facets to a great athlete, and the very greatest make the players around them better.

Sounds great in coach speak but all coaches think they can coach a goal scorer to pass but can't turn some athletic players into goal scorers so the hogs win more than they lose during the recruiting process. And I agree lacrosse sidelines with the parents is the worst in HS sports but after being through it already I can tell you those "bad" parents don't care. They are only there for their kid and they don't care if you like them