Originally Posted by Anonymous
Originally Posted by America's Game
Buddy's son was "one to watch" based on his performance at 3d as per Inside Lacrosse. You guessed it: he didn't make Jake Reed. Tough for kid who sees himself complimented online then doesn't get it.

This is the problem with all the coverage of 8th 9th grade lacrosse. A lot of it sets the kids up for disappointment. Writer saw kids talent on the field. He performed well at the tryout. Isn't that why you have the tryouts. Its why many of these tryouts for these events are truly based on reputation and what color your helmet is. They aren't really based on the performance at the actual tryout. Having the right advocate in the selection room also helps a lot. Have your friends son use it as fuel. Work harder and give them [lacrosse] on the field. He knows and so do the other kids who played well. The kids aren't stupid. They all know each other. This is the BS of a lot of these events like JR and Brine

Or - maybe the writer saw a nice play when he looked up from his phone in between food tweets and said something nice about the kid as opposed to the professional evaluators who are supposed to watch all the games and all the players - hopefully the evaluators are professional and not TYed to certain organizations and coaches - these tryouts are impossible to get 100% correct but to say that an Oriole's fan who is socializing more then watching got it right and the evaluators got it wrong is silly.

I was actually making a different point, namely that the early recruiting hype coupled with social media sets up some kids for some big let downs. Not interested in arguing whether IL or the evaluators got it right.

Its like I said its one of the problems with covering 8th and 9th graders. The coverage sets them up for disappointment. Which at this age is tough to digest. I also try to point out there are other factors involved in the selection process.