Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#52716 - 02/07/14 09:21 AM 2023 commits  
jackstraw Offline
Back of THE CAGE
jackstraw  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

According to Inside Lacrosse, a prominent 2023 midfielder that plays for a top Long Island club has, reportedly, committed to 4th grade at Shelter Rock Elementary School. Loretta Smith, head PE teacher, was quoted, "His closing speed and ability to finish when playing dodge ball is uncanny." Many evaluators feel he is a can't miss prospect that will dominate the club scene this summer. His biggest drawback is his inability to tie his shoes or put his equipment on by himself. Coach Bresci thinks that in 10 -11 years, this kid will be THE guy. Other schools that he considered were St Mary's, Friends Academy and Portledge.

Top Reply Quote
BACK OF THE CAGE SPONSORS

#52726 - 02/07/14 10:51 AM Re: 2023 commits [Re: jackstraw]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

re-classifier? Taking away spots for true 2023's.

Top Reply Quote
#52728 - 02/07/14 11:08 AM Re: 2023 commits [Re: jackstraw]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hahaha.....classic!! Isn't it funny how things are going nowadays -- It's funny, I played D1 (late 80s - against Gaits etc) and most guys on my college squad started lax in Junior High and 9th grade (even with the old equipment, late start, lack of tourney's, recruiting showcases and specialty clinics) .....would run circles around many of the 'athletes' of today - I don't know, as with the NFL, NHL etc. - Speaking from a current coaches perspective, the youth of the 60s-80s seem to be a tougher class of kid cool

Top Reply Quote
#52729 - 02/07/14 11:42 AM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hahaha.....classic!! Isn't it funny how things are going nowadays -- It's funny, I played D1 (late 80s - against Gaits etc) and most guys on my college squad started lax in Junior High and 9th grade (even with the old equipment, late start, lack of tourney's, recruiting showcases and specialty clinics) .....would run circles around many of the 'athletes' of today - I don't know, as with the NFL, NHL etc. - Speaking from a current coaches perspective, the youth of the 60s-80s seem to be a tougher class of kid cool

I respectfully disagree. Have you ever watched a JV game of West Islip Chaminade Garden City Manhasset Syosset Pequa S'town WM Darian Jay ytown somers Pac LLpanas.

That is the skill speed and strength of your 80's teams.

Ever watch an elite 2020 - 2017 team, that is better than any 80's HS match.

Top Reply Quote
#52730 - 02/07/14 11:46 AM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The glory days always look more magnificent through the bottom of your row of empty pints.

7th grade Kids of today would destroy the Varsity teams of your days gone long by
:-)

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#52731 - 02/07/14 11:49 AM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tennessee Jed is a funny cat, except when he kicks my dog!

Top Reply Quote
#52732 - 02/07/14 11:55 AM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I dont think so. Not at all. Look at football, players keep getting bigger and faster. WHen I went to HS In the 80s we did not have guys this big and fast as we say today in HS. If two players of equal ability, one starts playing in first grade , the other in 9th all things being equal the kid who started sooner will be better,This sounds more like one of those ' we I went to school we walked 10 miles both way up hill: deals

Top Reply Quote
#52734 - 02/07/14 12:07 PM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

That's because today's "athlete" is a one sport
Kid. Not many play other sports. The ones that
do you can see are tougher.

Top Reply Quote
#52735 - 02/07/14 12:20 PM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I disagree with ALL of this EXCEPT for the fact that kids WERE tougher back then.

The rest is not accurate. Kids are bigger, stronger, faster, start earlier, are better trained amd trained from an earlier age. Science has shown us better was to develop faster and stroner athletes.

Kids today are ALSO NOT as respectful to coaches, other kids and refs as they were back then (nor are the parents).

Top Reply Quote
#52737 - 02/07/14 01:02 PM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tennessee Jed is a funny cat, except when he kicks my dog!

My dog turned to me and he said, you better get back to Tennessee Jed

Top Reply Quote
Sponsored Links
#52744 - 02/07/14 01:26 PM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

hate to bring religion into it but... my rock is better than your rock. just saying

Top Reply Quote
#52746 - 02/07/14 01:40 PM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  
jackstraw Offline
Back of THE CAGE
jackstraw  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

The lacrosse that is played today is so different from the game we played when we were young. The sticks hold the ball better. The mesh pockets break in easier and more consistently. Conditioning and coaching are much better then in the past. The club scene and D1 scholarship situation has made lacrosse into junior hockey or AAU basketball. I don't think we will see the kid that starts playing in 6th or 7th grade and becomes a starter in HS anymore. All sports have become specialized. There is a lot of money to be made coaching and running these club programs. I was a three sport athlete in HS and played 4 years of football and lacrosse at the DIII level. I don't think DIII coaches would allow a starter to play football anymore.

But, us lacrosse geeks are from the no. 1 hotbed of the sport. Therefore, we are lucky. We should embrace the madness. As long as we keep everything in perspective, our children will gain a lot from playing lacrosse at high levels. They learn discipline and teamwork. They learn how to win and how to lose. They will make lifelong friends and will be exposed to a ton of nut jobs. And, if we as parents take the right attitude, and don't push our little Johnnies too hard, then our boys will love each of us for what we are doing for them. Club lacrosse should be fun and educational. Smart people will know when the game becomes "too much" for our kids. As long as we don't go overboard, both you and your kids will learn a lot from these experiences.

Top Reply Quote
#52749 - 02/07/14 02:25 PM Re: 2023 commits [Re: jackstraw]  
Maniac Offline
Back of THE CAGE
Maniac  Offline
Back of THE CAGE

Originally Posted by tennesseejed
The lacrosse that is played today is so different from the game we played when we were young. The sticks hold the ball better. The mesh pockets break in easier and more consistently. Conditioning and coaching are much better then in the past. The club scene and D1 scholarship situation has made lacrosse into junior hockey or AAU basketball. I don't think we will see the kid that starts playing in 6th or 7th grade and becomes a starter in HS anymore. All sports have become specialized. There is a lot of money to be made coaching and running these club programs. I was a three sport athlete in HS and played 4 years of football and lacrosse at the DIII level. I don't think DIII coaches would allow a starter to play football anymore.

But, us lacrosse geeks are from the no. 1 hotbed of the sport. Therefore, we are lucky. We should embrace the madness. As long as we keep everything in perspective, our children will gain a lot from playing lacrosse at high levels. They learn discipline and teamwork. They learn how to win and how to lose. They will make lifelong friends and will be exposed to a ton of nut jobs. And, if we as parents take the right attitude, and don't push our little Johnnies too hard, then our boys will love each of us for what we are doing for them. Club lacrosse should be fun and educational. Smart people will know when the game becomes "too much" for our kids. As long as we don't go overboard, both you and your kids will learn a lot from these experiences.

Well said!!!

Top Reply Quote
#52806 - 02/08/14 09:43 PM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Maniac]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Maniac
Originally Posted by tennesseejed

Well said!!!

The older you get the faster and better you were.

Top Reply Quote
#52809 - 02/08/14 10:08 PM Re: 2023 commits [Re: Anonymous]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

The glory days always look more magnificent through the bottom of your row of empty pints.

7th grade Kids of today would destroy the Varsity teams of your days gone long by
:-)

Pretty personal and obnoxious reply to a post.

Last edited by CageSage; 02/09/14 08:31 AM. Reason: Removed Offensive Reference
Top Reply Quote
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Quick Reply

Options
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled
Image Verification

TOURNAMENTS/SHOWCASES
Martin Luther King Jr. - Girls LAX Tournament
Harding Battle by the Bay
Harding Summer Sunset